What are the most common mistakes? TWS

Posted (edited)

I'm sure to be making all of them. I follow instructions from Chuck's guide and several videos on using TWS.
But it rarely works; I only get to lock the first contact/target, and can not switch. So I stir the TMS until sometimes I succeed.
What are the usual traps?

Edited by Moxica

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, RyanR said:

Are you just not able to cycle through the tracks with TMS right?

-Ryan

Correct. TNS right short does nothing after I lock up the first/closest contact.
..so I TMS down and "stir" and sometimes it works. But not just now (again)
-Back to RWS and lock up that mig with TMS up..

Edited by Moxica
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

I agree w/not being able to lock multiple targets at times. I'll have 2 or 3 w/in vertical and horiz scan, wait a few seconds, TMS-RIght and nothing (or only lock or 1 target).
TMS-Down, wait, TMS-Right and now I can cycle maybe 2 of 3.  But never more than 2.  And this is wi/all targets hot.

• Like 1

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

Yeah.... I've found it fidgety, too. You need to TMS-right once to upgrade them to system targets, and then a second right to bug one and cycle between them.

A problem is that the first TMS-right "spotlights" the radar azimuth. So anything on the radar outside of the lines can't be bugged with the extra TMS-right. Also, the all the targets need to be within the radar's elevation. In short, this means that all the targets you want to cycle through need to be in a relatively narrow radar beam. Then you add jamming in, and it gets trickier.

There very well could be a problem/bug with the radar. There are at least a couple significant known radar bugs since the last update. I wouldn't be surprised if something else was going on.

-Ryan

• Like 1

For me it is helpfull to press IFF-out(or in, can't remember). This hides all the datalink stuff from the FCR page. Now you can only see what the radar sees. 

When the radar has just picked up a target it will look like a RWS contact. Don't press tms-right at this point. You have to wait until it becomes a tracked target(usually happens when the radar has swept past the contact once or twice.).
Tracked targets are filled boxes. These will become system targets when you tms right.
System targets are empty boxes. Tms right will cycle between these.
Instead of pressing TMS right to upgrade all tracked targets to system targets you can cherry-pick tracked targets by pressing tms up on them.

So if you have 6 tracked targets and you know you only want to shoot 2 of them, press tms up on those two.

Then you can use tms right to cycle between those specific ones.

• Like 1