[Help Needed] Game crashes either to desktop or reboot when diving

Posted (edited)

I've posted here before and the following are a list of things I have done already:

1. Remove all custom mods (deleted 2x German warbird cockpits)
  2. Run DCS_updater repair in slow mode
  3. Update my Nvidia Geforce 4070 driver (updated to 2024.05 version)
  4. Run mem86 test for at least 1 hour (no errors found)
  5. Check BIOS XMP is disabled
  6. Run Windows commands to check for disk issues (corrupt files fixed)
  7. Set Nvidia graphics card performance to max performance

Today I ran the P-51D instant actions and in both missions, when I was either recovering from a Split-S or a dive bombing, DCS crashed.  The first time it crashed to my desktop. The second time it crashed and my desktop rebooted.

These are the same kind of errors I've experienced before running the 6 steps above and the crashing to desktop happens also when I'm on multiplayer server.

This is making me dread flying in DCS now. I'd really appreciate anyone who can help out. Thank you.

(Logs are attached)

dcs_crashtorestart.log dcs_crashtodesktop.log

Edited by AerialTeddy

2 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi do you overclock at all? 

Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to check it? This is the second time I hear the word overclock and I've never done anything to my Windows system other than tiny things like mouse scroll reverse scrolling or remapping of capslock etc.

Posted (edited)

Check your power supply. Make sure it is powerful enough and that you connected the GPU in the proper way (consult the manual).

Crashing to desktop suggests that your GPU is causing this, crashing to reboot is suggesting a power instability problem. (those are probable causes not certain of course from remote diagnostics)

I don’t think, that one of the „usual“ DCS issues, like mods or something, is at play here, because they usually don’t cause a crash to reboot. 

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Just now, Hiob said:

Check your power supply. Make sure it is powerful enough and that you connected the GPU in the proper way (consult the manual).

Crashing to desktop suggests that your GPU is causing this, crashing to reboot is suggesting a power instability problem. (those are probable causes not certain of course from remote diagnostics)

Will give it a check. The desktop's set up by a well-known PC shop so I assume the GPU's set up properly. This didn't always happen before. I think it I only experienced this kind of crashing maybe the last 4 weeks. Never had these issues before.

In this case, if you don’t get it sorted, ask them to have a look.

Are there other games or applications that causes those crashes?

Maybe run other stress tests than memory. OCCT is a good (free) program for that.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 5/20/2024 at 6:28 PM, Hiob said:

In this case, if you don’t get it sorted, ask them to have a look.

Are there other games or applications that causes those crashes?

Maybe run other stress tests than memory. OCCT is a good (free) program for that.

Thanks again Hiob! Pretty much everything else is fine and only DCS (instant action, missions, multiplayer) cause this reboot. I've completely uninstalled DCS now and will do a fresh install to see if it helps. I've also reached out to the PC seller and see if they have any tips that I can use to examine the PC (never been a hardware nerd). This has happened so frequently now that unfortunately I'm wondering if I should even spend any time on DCS and might just do only IL-2...too many evenings wasted on starting up and then a sudden frozen screen and a reboot.

Yeah, sorry. It's very tough to help from a distance.

What I find weird is that DCS causes such hard crashes. That's rather rare afaik. Usually it freezes or stop with a crash message. In the worst case it crashes to desktop without further notice. But causing a reset? I can't remember to have ever experienced this - unless I totally overdid it with the overclocking.

If you manage to figure out how, you could check in your bios if it respects the Intel specs for power. There are plenty of youtube videos on the issue. Basically the MoBo companies try to squeeze extra performance out of 13th and 14th gen Intels by overstepping the intel power limits per default. Unfortunately many can't stand that.

That's the only other idea I have currently.

• Like 2