Natural head movement view

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what does this command do. I could not find an explanation elsewhere.

Is it something to do with IR head tracking devices?

Cheers

hardware: Alienware Area-51 7500 - 2x 8800 GTX 768 MB SLI - 4GB RAM - Vista 64-bit - Saitek X52 Pro - TrackIR 5 Pro

When you bank / roll the aircraft left or right, with natural head movement on, it will automatically compensate by rotating your "head" view in the opposite direction, thus keeping the Horizon roughly horizontal, as we do this naturally and unconsiously in real life, it is considered "natural head movement" .. some people don't like it tho, so it can be turned off :)

When you bank / roll the aircraft left or right, with natural head movement on, it will automatically compensate by rotating your "head" view in the opposite direction, thus keeping the Horizon roughly horizontal, as we do this naturally and unconsiously in real life, it is considered "natural head movement" .. some people don't like it tho, so it can be turned off :)

I don't agree.

"natural head movement" (LCTRL-F1) tends to direct you line-of-sight towards where you're going. In a medium bank turn to the right, you'll see more out of the right window. When pulling G's, either at the base of a loop or in a steep bank turn, your head moves up (airframe relative), towards the inside of the turn. Don't use it if you're using TrackIR. To disable this mode, hit F1 (no modifier).

The head returning to the horizontal aspect you describe is governed by LWIN-F1, "head shift movement" which changes the point of view according to accelerations of the craft, personally, this would be nice if we could adjust the stiffness of the modelled torso/neck. I don't feel strapped in the seat, but rather sitting on a balloon - too sluggish. FreeFalcon had the same feature with better, "stiffer" values. I feel it is done nicely in FSX, not as stiff, but understandable given the civilian-type seat belts - the fore-aft acceleration effect is great.

As a footnote, it is a bad real life habit to tilt your head towards the vertical in a turn that is the least bit tight (30-deg. bank or more). But a lot of us do it to some extent. :pilotfly:

Edited by Jack McCoy
Typos
  • Like 1

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

yeah it looks pretty cool when your flying low to the ground around building and trees etc

HP TouchSmart IQ816 / 25.5" HD touch screen / 9600GS 512/ Core 2 Duo 2.16 / 4GB RAM / VISTA 64 / CH Fighterstick

I don't agree.

"natural head movement" (LCTRL-F1) tends to direct you line-of-sight towards where you're going. In a medium bank turn to the right, you'll see more out of the right window. When pulling G's, either at the base of a loop or in a steep bank turn, your head moves up (airframe relative), towards the inside of the turn. Don't use it if you're using TrackIR. To disable this mode, hit F1 (no modifier).

The head returning to the horizontal aspect you describe is governed by LWIN-F1, "head shift movement" which changes the point of view according to accelerations of the craft, personally, this would be nice if we could adjust the stiffness of the modelled torso/neck. I don't feel strapped in the seat, but rather sitting on a balloon - too sluggish. FreeFalcon had the same feature with better, "stiffer" values. I feel it is done nicely in FSX, not as stiff, but understandable given the civilian-type seat belts - the fore-aft acceleration effect is great.

As a footnote, it is a bad real life habit to tilt your head towards the vertical in a turn that is the least bit tight (30-deg. bank or more). But a lot of us do it to some extent. :pilotfly:

Thanks Jack , appreciate the correction :)

...thus keeping the Horizon roughly horizontal, as we do this naturally and unconsiously in real life, it is considered "natural head movement" ..

Fours years flight instructing (the worst four years of my life) and I never saw anyone tilt their head after the second flight. It's a behavior that is far from natural and you will NEVER see it done by an experienced fixed-wing pilot. Can't speak for rotor-heads...

Smokin' Hole

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

Point well taken, Coax.

Slalom is far from normal flight, where your airplane is going in one direction and your mind is on the next gate, below the nose of the plane. He's a champoin flyer and if I fly slalom, I'll do just like him - not like my Cessna and glider instructors have told me.

However, in the loop (ok, Immelman) his "natural head movement" is a good illustration of the efforts put in by DCS. Thanks.

I guess if I bought the Black Shark Reno Air Races expansion pack (does not exist - don't ask me where you can get it in Canada :) ), I'd be happy with the horizon shift. But as I'm using TrackIR, I turn it off anyway.

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.