Radio not working

unrealnoob

I installed this game two days ago and am having a great time playing with it. I can do almost everything, except use the radio. When I hit \ , nothing happens. The radio menu doesn't appear. I've tried it in SP and in MP and the same thing happens. I switched the radio to different frequences, but that doesn't help.

Am I missing something?

You are probably pressing the wrong key, it's the one on the lower left of your enter key, or you changed the keybind in the options. The menu should appear, regardless of the radio being on or off, if it is off the message will just not be distributed.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem as REALNOOB. The "\" key doesn't bring up the comms menu. Tried binding another key too it, different key and clearing and selecting default again, with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Depending on the keyboard (physical) layout - your game version - and your OS regional (keyboard language) settings:

Example; I have a Norwegian keyboard - it's not bound to the "\" key of course, it's still bound to the key where "\" would be in a EN/US keyboard layout if I had one.

Meaning it's there in the 3 positions to the right of the "L" key (next to the enter key).

Most games use the "EN/US" layout to reference and bind their keys - which is okai, because that means the layout is preserved.

And because they need to be able to present a printable layout.

Answer:

Ingame (in options/prefs) you should be able to find the key where it is really bound to in your combination.

Did you check the bindings there?

Go to the options, controls - and press the key you think is the Radio key. It should take you to the COMMAND which the key is bound to.

Remember to select "Real" or "Game" mode for the keybindings depending on your play as Simulation (Real) or "Arcade" (Game).

If it doesn't "jump" to the correct command - rebind the key, and try again. It will then tell you if there are any conflicts, which you then can resolve.

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

On my swedish keyboard the comms menu is mapped to the " ' "-key located as the third key to the right of " L ", just as Panzertard says. This is the key that produces the " \ " if you set your keyboard layout to US.

In case someone else is wondering in the future and comes from sweden via the search function:

Comms menu is on the key to the right of " ä ". The key labeled as " ' " and " * " on a swedish keyboard.

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Depending on the keyboard (physical) layout - your game version - and your OS regional (keyboard language) settings:

Example; I have a Norwegian keyboard - it's not bound to the "\" key of course, it's still bound to the key where "\" would be in a EN/US keyboard layout if I had one.

Meaning it's there in the 3 positions to the right of the "L" key (next to the enter key).

Most games use the "EN/US" layout to reference and bind their keys - which is okai, because that means the layout is preserved.

And because they need to be able to present a printable layout.

Answer:

Ingame (in options/prefs) you should be able to find the key where it is really bound to in your combination.

Did you check the bindings there?

Go to the options, controls - and press the key you think is the Radio key. It should take you to the COMMAND which the key is bound to.

Remember to select "Real" or "Game" mode for the keybindings depending on your play as Simulation (Real) or "Arcade" (Game).

If it doesn't "jump" to the correct command - rebind the key, and try again. It will then tell you if there are any conflicts, which you then can resolve.

Thanks for the feedback, Panzertard. It was very helpful. I have an American English keyboard. The "\" backslash key is bound to "TV Target Increase Size", although the "]" displays in the Keyboard column. Also, the "]" is bound to "Communications". although the "\" key displays in the Keyboard column. The "TV Target Decrease Size" does not function, although the "[" key displays in the Keyboard column.

I have cleared each of these keys and reassigned them both manually and by selecting the Default key option with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks again, dsobbe

"]" is the key above the "\" in EN/US keyboards, right?

Im a bit confused about the odd "swap" of the commands / functions you got there - are you sure you're not using any "Joystick Profiler" (or other key macro program)?

Or did *you* swap the keys yourself? In that case - have you tried resetting to defaults and check what happens?

And do you happen to have another keyboard around - to test and verify that there are no permanently stuck modifier keys on your original keyboard?

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

"]" is the key above the "\" in EN/US keyboards, right?

Im a bit confused about the odd "swap" of the commands / functions you got there - are you sure you're not using any "Joystick Profiler" (or other key macro program)?

Or did *you* swap the keys yourself? In that case - have you tried resetting to defaults and check what happens?

And do you happen to have another keyboard around - to test and verify that there are no permanently stuck modifier keys on your original keyboard?

Panzertard,

My keyboard is an HP. The second row of keys from the top are, from the right to left, "\", "]", "[", "p", etc. I'm using a Saitek ST290 Pro Joystick, no profiler. I've reset the defaults without any success.

It seems as if the \,], and [ keys are hard coded. I cannot change their functions, although a changed assignment will display the new symbol in the keyboard column.

I can at least now use the comm menu. It would be nice to have the "TV Target Decrease Size", "[", functional though.

dsobbe

Yes. I'm editing the Simulation (real) profile. I'll work on it some more and let you know if I find any other key that can be used for the Communications Menu. Otherwise, I'll wait to hear from you.

Thanks again for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you editing the right profile? I.e. Game vs real?

I also have a problem with comms menu, but can't investigate until the weekend.

I found a solution. There may be others. But, this works in both the Real and Game modes.

Under Options/Controls, press the key you want to edit. Click on Clear, then on Add. Instead of selecting another key from the drop down menu line in the Key/Button box, again press the same key you are editing and the software will automatically assign a letter combination.

In the case of my American/English keyboard the "\" comms key was given the letters "AT" and the function reassigned to the "[" key. The "]" and "\" key were automatically assigned the TV Target Frame increase and decease functions. In another case, the "=" Shkval Narrow View key did not function. After editing it, as above, the Key/Button box displayed "PREV" and the "=" key became functional.

My guess is that there is a default set of commands built into the software that automatically sets edited key functions for any language/keyboard (?).

Hope this helps you out.

Dsobbe

Edited by dsobbe

Hi dsobbe

I found my comms menu on the # key. Your approach seems like a good one.

I think the problem arises because DirectInput provides keyboard scan codes to the game, so the developer needs to take care to map these to actual characters to cater for different keyboard layouts. This is tricky due to all the keyboards variants, so I guess some keys are not translated.

I have done some experimentation, and found a few keys that are differently translated between US/UK layout:

UK    US
¬     ~
"     @
£     #
@     "
#     \
~     |
AltGr Ctrl+Alt (maybe?)

I am not sure about AltGr, this key does not exist on US keyboards. There are probably other differences too. I don't know if there is a more scientific way to find out the key codes, I set my Windows setting to "US keyboard" and then pressed all the keys. If I have some time I will try to read the DirectInput codes and display them.

I want to use an X-Keys keyboard with BS, so I will have to remap some keys anyway because X-Keys doesn't seem to support distingush Left/Right Shift/Ctrl etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out my problem with the voices/radio/betty in general.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=44116

Looks like it's related to the Regional Settings in Windows XP and has nothing to do with the key config / keyboard layout.

WinXP SP2 Pro 32-bit US Layout + DCS Online RUS version + Online Patch for Rus version = English Cockpit + Russian Tooltips - Betty - All other voices - text for the voices in chat. Rearming/Refueling/AI Commands, still work, but no ATAKA BEREGIS' or any other voices of any kind, all gone.

That wouldnt be too bad if I didnt have to constantly look at the Laser Warning Receiver...

My first computer and my ED collection:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I won FC1 in the original Lock On Tournament in 2005:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=8805