My opinion of home made videos

Guest Jocko

Don't get angry at people who lack appreciation for the music man ... in the end, they're the ones who will end up angry and tune-less ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Nah...not really. ;)

What I meant are videos with the "foreground music only"-thing and nothing else AND absent cinematics. As long as movies partially have that "Glowing Amraam"-quality or are as funny as Waldo II's (which really has BACKGROUND music) I gladly watch them. Everything else not.

I agree with the OP on the tendency for people to jsut slap their favourite hard rock/metal song over some footage and call that a movie.

That's what meant. :thumbup:

Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 @ 3.4 Ghz | 12 GB RAM (DDR3-1600) | Nvidia Geforce GTX660 Ti/2GB (Driver Ver. 381.65 ) | ASUS P8Z77-V LE Plus | SB Audigy 2 ZS (kxProject 3552) | Samsung SSD 830 Series (Sys: 64GB, DCS+other: 128GB) | Saitek X52 Pro + TM MFDs | TIR4: Pro (TIR 5.4.1.26786 Software) | Windows 10 Pro (x64, non Anniversary)

I gotta agree that some flight videos on the net could of been so much better had they moderated the amount of music in them or even replaced the music entirely.

Most of the flight vids that are on the net all seem to suffer from Heavy metal syndrome, where the video is infected with large and loud doses of heavy metal music, I personally cant stand them but thats just personal preference.

Music does have its place in videos as the right type of music accompanying a video can turn a mediocre video into a great video, but most videos take it too far with the crazy loud music and basically spoil it, if I come across a loud heavy metal video of say lockon, 9 times out of 10 i will either mute it or have the volume uber low asto not hear the music.

I am not saying their is anything wrong with having music in videos, far from it, but it has to be done right and thats where most video makers seem to fail.

Guest Jocko
I start with the music when I make my vids. I listen to the music with my eyes closed and visualise my story/shots.

If you start with the music, you are starting a music video. I don't know why you refuse to admit it.

Well, I see that most music video makers here need to exaggerate to excuse their music videos.

May I again say (and please read slowly and concentrate)...

When I see an airplane flying in the sky, it should sound like an airplane, not like a jukebox.

When I see a bomb burst, it should sound like a bomb burst.

When I see machine gun fire, it should sound like machine gun fire.

If you are proud of your music videos, then you should be proud to advertise them as music videos and not something else.

[quote name=GGTharos

Moderator/ED Testers Team]

Don't get angry at people who lack appreciation for the music man ... in the end, they're the ones who will end up angry and tune-less

This absurd comment, by a Mod no less, is an example of why flaming starts. This comment by GGTharos is idiotic and does not belong in this thread about flight. :mad:

Is a performance of of Phantom of the Opera just a live action music video? After all, it started with the music.

What about Chariots of Fire? Movie or music video?

Reservoir Dogs?

Amadeus?

You could argue that a movie of aeroplanes simply flying to the sound of aeroplane noises is a documentary, not a movie. Sound effects are simply one aspect of the audio in a movie, which itself is simply one aspect of the craft. I see your point Jocko, but you are being too fundamentalist about it.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

• ED Team
If you start with the music, you are starting a music video. I don't know why you refuse to admit it.

Well, I see that most music video makers here need to exaggerate to excuse their music videos.

When I see an airplane flying in the sky, it should sound like an airplane, not like a jukebox.

If you are proud of your music videos, then you should be proud to advertise them as music videos and not something else.

Do you have any experience with making movies?

If i was to give you a task, and i say: Create a promotional video (like a TRAILER), showing the best aspects of this simulator, and please make it a little dramatic, so it gives some impact.

Sound effects, i leave that up to you.

If you can do this without music, and keep me entertained, i will say no more. But hey, on the side, i'll make a movie as well, only WITH music, let's see which one people will enjoy most. ;)

Music is a part of movies, it's just how you use it that matters.

Edited by Glowing_Amraam

Music is the essence of the Universe, every video sequence has more essence within too when there's at least music ambiance to it.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Step One: Take a breath.

Step Two: Acquire humour.

Step Three: Don't flame here again.

Step Four: Realize that not everyone shares your opinion.

If you do all this you will be well on your way to a much happier and anger-free forum existance! :D

This absurd comment, by a Mod no less, is an example of why flaming starts. This comment by GGTharos is idiotic and does not belong in this thread about flight. :mad:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Like I said the first time... Show us how it's done.