If it looks good, it is good???

Warbird_242

Am I correct in thinking that if the heli looks 'right' during manouvers - such as in a high speed banked turn, it looks smooth, with just the right amount of rudder and other input etc, it is probably the right way of turning. Often I find i am turning with too little rudder so the thing looks held up by the nose. Am i right? I suppose another way of asking this question is, how do you make those smooth turns you see in films? :D

Soemtimes because of the way the camera fixes a position in the f2 spot a perfectly fine smooth turn and bank can look odd and jerky because of the way the horizon in relation to the camera reacts... In reality you would never really hold an exact sot like this whilst watching a trk.. Best to concentrate on getting your turns right just from the cockpit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You need to keep the airplane coordinated by applying the right amount of rudder in the direction that you are turning. Fortunately, this is simple to do with the ball instrument (beneath the ADI) - if it's deflected to the right, you need to apply more right rudder. If it's deflected to the left, you need to apply more left rudder. If it's in the middle, you're perfect. This is the origin of the phrase "step on the ball".

Turn_indicator_coordinated_turn.pngUncoordinated%2BFlight%2BLogo2.jpg

(note that the Ka-50 doesn't have a turn coordinator instrument - the ball is underneath the attitude indicators, normal and standby)

Coordinated turns are the "nice looking" turns where the chopper turns smoothly like an airplane. Uncoordinated turns are the ugly duckling turns where the airplane flies sideways or banks without turning or otherwise generally looks like a drunken seagull.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My rig: i7 3770K oc'd to 4.7 GHz | Asus Maximus 5 Extreme mobo | 4 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 | 2 x EVGA GTX 680 in SLI | Asus Xonar Phoebus audio card | OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB SSD

My peripherals: Dell U3011 30" at 2560x1600 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD 558 | Razer Black Widow | Razer Imperator