Joystick Spring Removal and Modding

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this site. I would like to say thanks to everyone for all of the information that has been shared here over the years. It is of great use to many many people.

I will start with a description of my current setup:

DCS Black Shark

CH Rudder Pedals

X-52 HOTAS (Not using the joystick for cyclic)

Saitek ST290 (for cyclic)

I currently have the spring zip-tied up completely on my ST290 so there is no force on it. The way I have been flying is to just always leave my hand on the stick, and always use the default "reset" trim position.

I was previously flying with my X52 alone, and would trim and return to center etc. But then, I had the idea to experiment with taking the spring out of the picture so it would be easier to hold it right where I wanted it. I decided to use my ST290 for this, so my X52 stick would be in normal condition for my other sims like Lock On and IL2.

What I am wondering is this: Has any one modded their stick in such a way that it will stay in whatever position you leave it in? (without FFB of course...)

I am envisioning taking a normal stick, removing the spring, then adding a bar for each axis that will cause just enough friction that the stick will hold there if you let off of it...

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance everyone!

I just done something that I think a lot of you may be interested in... I am now able to let go of my joystick and it stays where I leave it!!!

I added two layers of duct tape (lol) to the "ball" at the bottom of the joystick. I tried this out with the spring held up with zip-ties and the results were very good. I was so impressed that I simply removed the spring and reapplied the duct tape in a more precise manner.

I removed the spring with wire-cutters. Be careful if you do this, parts of the spring can fly off with great force when you cut them. Safety glasses are recommended!!!

I will post a video of how this works when I have time!

This is something i have done and it makes flying a lot easier - Used dampers from motorbike shop. The ones they use for damping road vibration on handlebars are ideal.

That was my original idea of dampening. I was thinking of using one for the x-axis and on for the Y and building a stand out of wood the joystick would mount to and mount the dampers to the same piece of wood. Is this what you done?

Thanks for all of the comments guys! I am still using this setup and I really like it. It has made my flying much more enjoyable.

I added a higher quality video:

Detail of tape-

Moving stick around (similiar to one already posted)-

(Thank you mods for moving this to the proper area. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted it in general discussion...)

Edited by walker450
Added video 2

This is something i have done and it makes flying a lot easier - Used dampers from motorbike shop. The ones they use for damping road vibration on handlebars are ideal.

Yes I have done this It feel very good when this happened. The more we do the excitement increases.

I think Kamran might be drinking too much green tea :P

I have mounted my cyclic to a wooden plynth, onto which i have added the dampers using wire and jubilee clips. I have one for the x axis and one for y axis.

Make sure they are firmly attached or they tend to wander of their own accord. The damping force also feels more like a real aircraft where there is always a little resistance due to the hydraulic systems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No - Its a Stinger - Damn.......

My Pit - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42253

• 2 months later...
Here is an update on everything...

I decided to try electrical tape and it ended up working slightly better than the duck tape. I am still using the setup today and it works great!! :D

Nice man thanks for the info.

I want a video of you flying with the mod.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

I have mounted my cyclic to a wooden plynth, onto which i have added the dampers using wire and jubilee clips. I have one for the x axis and one for y axis.

I use two HPI Savage (RC car) dampers, but replaced the oil inside with a thicker one - sorry, I can't remember which one.

Could you all post post pics of your setups? I am really interested in using dampers for a more permanent solution, rather than electrical tape. :joystick:

I was able to go to a RC/Hobbie shop and buy some dampers. I simply screwed some tall wood screw into a board for the dampers to attach to, then screwed the joystick down to the board. To attch the dampers to the joystick, I ran a piece of electrical wire through both of them and then used a hose clamp to hold the wire tight to the stick.

I am very pleased with the feel of it and it is very accurate. I will post a video when I have more time :)

052576bc.jpg

e16ccc0c.jpg

Edited by walker450

Looking good, the wood could use a bit of black paint tho ;) but I guess it's more like a prototype, isn't it?

I really love my DIY stick - an elongated cougar grip with DIY gimbals and hall sensors from a X52 - which is non self centering, too.

No need to trim anymore ! .... except rudder trim of course, but why not apply dampeners to the pedals too and remove the centering spring ? :idea:

Damn... my GF will kill me if I spend even more time "screwing around" ;)

My DCS movies:

b3bdd1c1.jpg

The wood grain matches my desk. :)

This will work for now until I graduate to a more simpot-like setup.

I have thought the same thing about removing the spring in the rudder pedals, but I wont be for various reasons. I play other sims where I prefer to have them self-center, and in real life I fly a C-152 and the footwork of my games helps me in the real plane.

I'll never forget my first flying lesson... We started taxiing and naturally I turned the yoke like it was a steering wheel... It didn't work lol.

A few days later I ordered rudder pedals and that helped me get used to using my feet in the real plane. I had previously only used the keyboard or a twist joystick for rudder control.

Edited by walker450