Max Speed of a-10

Revencher

I think it depends on the engin becouse as a genral ruel jetengins work better at higher alts where the air is thiner. thats y most jets fly at 20k + feet and turbo props fly lower

No, they don't work better than on low altitude, but they work less bad in comparison to drag, hence better top speed.

Cheers, CHola

Standared Temp. 15 degrees C.

Standard Atomphere 29.92in Hg. or 1013.2 mb (hPa)

IAS is the measure of the ram air, as it enters the pitot tube.

CAS or calibrated air speed is IAS corrected for installation error. Meaning that the pitot tube opening isn't always in direct line of sight with the relative wind.

TAS or True airspeed is CAS corrected for non-standard temperature (15.C and alt. setting 29.92).

EAS or Equivilant Airspeed is IAS corrected for adiabatic compressable flow for a given altitude, and for instrument installation error. EAS is equal to CAS at sea level on a standard day.

GS or Ground Speed, is the measure of your actual speed relative to an aircrafts movement over the ground.

The wing, (all things being equal) has a set shape. Meaning it requires a certain airspeed to develop lift at sea level on a standard day. Any Altitude or temperature variation away from this will cause needed increase in ground roll for takeoff. As airspeed increases, lift increases.

The turbine engine, uses basically, hundreds of tiny wings to move the same volume of air into a smaller and smaller chamber where it can be burned. If it's summer, and the air is hotter than standard, less dense, each of the compressor sections made up of essentially tiny winged shaped compressor blades (which can't change shape to compensate for the less dense air), require a higher RPM in order to produce the same amount of air flow and give the required thrust. The colder the air, the more oxygen per volume is moved through the engine which can be burned. Colder = more power available as thrust. Hotter = more power required to produce thrust.

Compressor blades changing shape to compensate for air density?

What engine does that happen? Compressor blade flex (to an extend of course and depending on the engine) but to change shape, not to sure about that.

I think you got every thing else dead on, from the little bit I know

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Mvsgas, look closer. ;)

"which can't change shape"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

To flex is not to change shape ?

Remember the 346 Fire Fighters, Medics & Police who died on 9-11.......

Selective memory is a wonderful thing, especially when certain posts simply disappear into the ether never to be seen again, unless I have a copy of the original post copied and pasted into word documents and saved .... just in case :)

Am I an abusive idiot ?

Due to physical incapacity my Wife types my post's for me

To flex is not to change shape ?

Nope, flexing is temporarily, it gets it shape back whenever the external forces acting upon it is removed.

If something changes its shape, its permanent, it will keep its new shape even though the external forces that caused the change are removed.

(the above depends on the materials elasticity but that's an whole other discussion all together.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Whatever speed A-10 is in LO I don't feel this speed at all. Dunno but in Su-25 I feel it really faster, despite of frog is not much faster. A10 for me is flying turtle, snail or worm :P

Edited by Boberro

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Mvsgas, look closer. ;)

"which can't change shape"

doh-1.jpg

Sorry man did not even notice. :doh:

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

i havent flown them but i was inftry for 13 years befor i was hurt on a deployment. i use to watch them all the time at Ft. Indiantown Gapand and they could out turn any thing ive seen. they r no where near snails in real life. and there gun was fn loud. i rember being in buildings while they were making gun runs on the other side of a mountin and u could still hear it loud and clear

and when u r on patroll and they come screaming over head fireing there guns. f it gets your blood bumping

nevertheless, i still wonder why the a-10 can't go beyond 300

I'm not sure if they're accurate but i remember sims wherein the a-10 can fly at 400 KIAS.. A-10 cuba was it...? not sure.. and yah, in my 1st sim.. Jane's USAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As old as this FM is, it still does the basics doesn't it? I mean, if you have the sim set to summer in hot weather, and with a heavy load, you're NOT going to be a speed demon. Someone correct me about the FM's in LO...I'm not a modding guru, but if it has any shredd of accuracy, the A-10 is a high aspect ratio wing (relative to the other planes) so it gets alot of lift, but it's just not build for speed....there's not that much to it. It's aerodynamically limited.

just yesterday i was flying the A10 at over 308 indicated...:pilotfly: full load in the pants too..:doh:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||