Su25T+Kuznetsov deck=<BANG!>?

I'm having great difficulty landing on the carrier (yes, I know, no hook, but remember that excellent movie ED released a while back?)

Playing back trks of crashes I see my undercarriage sinking into the deck as if there's no collision detection going on. Only when the aircraft body touches the deck does a crash start (rather than a landing).

Anyone else had any luck? I swear I managed to make it up the ramp once, but now I'm having great difficulty, and the "gear disappearing into the deck" thing makes me wonder if I imagined it! :-)

Andrew McP

PS Try touching down on the water *very slowly* in almost level flight. There's a prize for who can float their 25T for longest :-)

PPS I've discovered this landing problem is a special case scenario linked to having the two carriers close together, on the same team. I'll go into more detail when I've done some more research. It looks like a special case scenario though that most people will never meet in a million years. My fault for going hunting for movie ideas :->

Ok, hard to explain this without revealing I was trying to land on the Kuz, then hop off the ramp onto the Carl Vinson. Why? Why not! You have to remember I still want airbourne obstacles we can fly through/around so I can start a LOMAC racing league, I'm hardly your hardcore combat pilot :-)

Anyway, for the record: with the two carriers lined up close together it looks like the code gets confused about which carrier you're trying to land on.

1) If the two ships are several lengths apart, everything seems fine.

2) If the two ships come a little closer together I can land on the Kuz but the code seems not to know the ramp's there. So the aircraft body crashes into the ramp as an obstacle even though the wheels just ignore it.

3) If the ships are almost touching, the 25t's undercarriage doesn't even realise the Kuznetsov deck exists, and a crash occurs when the aircraft body touches the deck.

Obviously this isn't a bug, it's a case of someone trying to make the code do something it was never intended to do. I really must stop thinking outside the box! :-)

Andrew McP

PS Looks like you can't touch down (even briefly) on the Vinson anyway, even when it's on your side. Never mind, it was fun trying :-)

Well thats an original one, trying to land on 2 carriers in sequence. :biggrin:

You know what users are like, always trying hard to break code people spend years working on :-)

Without a headwind I think it's impossible to land a 25T on the Kuz, so I needed a little run-off area. I also had this idea about trying to touch down briefly on both carriers as they passed each other, but as the Vinson appears to be un-landable-on it looks like I need to find another source of entertainment.

Heck, at this rate I may have to try one of the missions! ;-)

Andrew McP

You know what users are like, always trying hard to break code people spend years working on :-)

Without a headwind I think it's impossible to land a 25T on the Kuz, so I needed a little run-off area. I also had this idea about trying to touch down briefly on both carriers as they passed each other, but as the Vinson appears to be un-landable-on it looks like I need to find another source of entertainment.

Heck, at this rate I may have to try one of the missions! ;-)

Andrew McP

God forbid, you actually play the game as intended! :D