under the radar

norm

There are two things I messed up which I would like advice for future instances.

Firstly there was a mission where there were several MRL's harassing our command posts from far behind there lines, what are good ways of getting in to a target area in unfriendly airspace with out getting splashed by sam/gun emplacements?

Secondly, if you are out of Vikhrs how should one safely approach and destroy with un-guided rockets/cannon tanks such as the T-70 etc?

Edited by norm

Firstly there was a mission where there were several MRL's harassing our command posts from far behind there lines, what are good ways of getting in to a target area in unfriendly airspace with out getting splashed by sam/gun emplacements?

Avoid them by Terrain Masking/NOE Ingress. Recon your Ingress well and if you cannot avoid them as above, take them out from Stand-Off Range.

Secondly, if you are out of Vikhrs how should one safely approach and destroy with un-guided rockets/cannon tanks such as the T-70 etc?

You RTB and Rearm with adequate Tank-Busting Ordinance. You're not Chuck Norris and Chuck does not have Friends so quit trying to Impress him :P

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

As Viper said, go RTB and rearm. It is possible to take out a T-72 with unguided rockets, I've done it. However, I had used the shape-charged explosive unguided rocket (I think it's the S-8KOM, not sure), and it took me about half of my unguided rockets to just get the tank to burn and eventually blow up. I also took some damage while making my attack run.

So, it is not practical to use your smaller weapons. (Unguided rockets and your gun are typically supposed to be used for "soft skinned" targets. That includes infantry, trucks of various types, and light boats.)

Also remember that tanks have that heavy machine gun mounted on top. It can do some real damage, which is another reason to not attack them with your unguided rockets.

You'll be amazed how much more efficient you'll be when you invest the time to fly back to base and rearm. After all, that is partly why helicopters are great. They can land and rearm as long as a ground crew is available! :)

"Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano at a whore house."

So, it is not practical to use your smaller weapons. (Unguided rockets and your gun are typically supposed to be used for "soft skinned" targets. That includes infantry, trucks of various types, and light boats.)

Not only that - also keep in mind that unguided rockets, especially the S8's, are artillery. This is not a precision engagement weapon, this is a weapon you use to blanket and suppress an area of soft targets (like infantry positions, a convoy of trucks etcetere). Trying to make precision attacks with them against tanks will only lead to you having to do a lot of attack runs to very close range and thus expose you (with your million dollars worth of training and 20 million dollars worth of helicopter) repeatedly to both defensive fire from your target, any hidden MANPAD threats and the time aspect of the targets requesting a CAP flight to come take care of you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester