SU_25T Campaign #2 / Anti-Ship queries

Guys, I am going insane here. Mission #2. Two warships, foggy conditions. I simply cannot get a SHKVAL lock no matter what. I have tried;

·
Different target size gates (50,55,60) and a million others

·
Night time SHKVAL (no heat signatures for some reason, possibly fog)

·
Anti-radiation missiles with fantasmagoria can’t lock. Ships must be using passive IR missiles

·
Command wingman to “attack naval targets”. Nothing happens

I know my missiles (KH29T / L) have at least 10k standoff but I can’t get any sort of SHKVAL lock further out than 2-3 km and by that time I am dead meat.

I have set up a training mission with loads of ships and can easily target so either the campaign mission is borked or the fog is interfering even though I have a perfect SHKVAL image.

Cheers

Coolts (unwilling Russian kamikaze pilot):pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Yes you can, but you must be sure it will hit. it needs an experience.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

We are talking about the big KH-29L missiles here not a little Vikhr, but I will try, as, in this mission the magical fog is preventing any sort of lock so I will give it a go, (although i can see perfectly the ship in the SHKVAL). If this is realistic, any seaborne invasion of Russia would be helped massively by a light fog!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

No matter if it is Vikhr or big mom Kh-29. If you are sure it will hit, you can fire. Example I fire Kh-25 ML from 20 km without authorization which is about 14 km.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

We are talking about the big KH-29L missiles here not a little Vikhr, but I will try, as, in this mission the magical fog is preventing any sort of lock so I will give it a go, (although i can see perfectly the ship in the SHKVAL). If this is realistic, any seaborne invasion of Russia would be helped massively by a light fog!
What altitudes are you flying at? I'm not sure what ships you are up against, but generally it helps to be higher, as you will decrease the amount of fog you will be looking through, as well as increasing the ranges of your missiles.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Can you launch without "authorisation"? i will give it a go later. cheers

Of course, you can

Press "Alt-W" for lauch permission override, you do not need in range of 10km to target, Kh-xx could be fired at distance of about 14-15km

Kh-29's velocity is very low (~1000km/h) so you need to fire futher from authorisation lanch range, missile's flight time to target is quite long :D

Edited by Majesco

Cheers guys. You weren’t kidding about the missiles slow speed. Whilst manually lasing the target I again ran into its guns. Override worked though.

Back to the A-10 for me for now. Vikhr missile employment is very fiddly and suits KA-50 more, where you can hang behind a hill and fart about with the targeting. When travelling towards targets @ 400kph you don’t have much time to battle the wandering Shkval.

I guess the AFM in DCS: A-10 will reveal whether realistic Maverick employment is as fiddly as SU-25T Shkval/Vikhr use in FC.

Call me a wuss.:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kh-29's velocity is very low (~1000km/h) so you need to fire futher from authorisation lanch range, missile's flight time to target is quite long :D

Yes it is really slow missile, sometimes I think a pigeon is faster ;]

ಠ_ಠ

I assigned my wingman to "engage naval" :music_whistling:l, so he dived in under massive fire and destroyed both ships with missiles! Show off.

The bloody laser overheat timer really spoils the SU-25T IMO, as with these slow missiles you can be patiently lasing the target to guide your missile, then at the last moment... OVERHEAT SHUTDOWN!!!!!! Very annoying.

Realistic? Probably. Annoying? Definately.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We don't know if in real life there isn't a laser timer. Remember LO in present state is rather poor simulator of reality.

There is trickck... fire missiles to targets (example only 3-4 per run) then laser will go off. Continue attacking with laser over-burn and it is fine. After you achieve an experience you will know when to force laser to work again and for what time it is still safe.

ಠ_ಠ

Cheers Boberro. The laser overheat in DCS:BS is much more forgiving. If I was a Frogfoot pilot I wuold strap an icepack to it!!

I will perservere as I am starting to enjoy the AFM of the SU-25T. Going back to the basic A-10 / F-15 now feels sterile and "arcade".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will perservere as I am starting to enjoy the AFM of the SU-25T.
I can vividly remember my struggles when I started flying the Su-25T. The main problem is that of pilot overload, trying to keep the aircraft flying, while operating the Shkval to target units and fire and track the Vikhr's. I would suggest you instead start off with the Su-25A. Because it lacks the Shkval you are forced to first get experience with the AFM by flying the aircraft and using the targeting of bombs and rockets. Once you have that mastered, try out the laser guided weapons on the Su-25A (Kh-25ML, S-25L, Kh-29L), and only then start with the Su-25T.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Cheers <51> but I am nothing if not stubborn and I love the (relatively) hi-tech bits of the ‘T’ as rockets and guns aren’t my thing.

The shkval is my downfall for a very odd reason. In DCS:BS I slave it to the HMS and with trackIR its easy. Since I got my HOTAS Cougar I am using the throttle microstick as a mouse, and have the mouse set to move the TDS/SHKVAL.

Now, when I have the throttle @100% the axis are aligned, but if I throttle back during a manoeuvre, suddenly, my thumb pulling back on the micro stick doesn’t do what my brain thinks it should because the axis have rotated. The result is a diagonally wandering SHKVAL target designator.

I could use the mouse but that seems a bit…………limp.

I need to teach my thumb spatial awareness! :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will perservere as I am starting to enjoy the AFM of the SU-25T. Going back to the basic A-10 / F-15 now feels sterile and "arcade".

I feel exactly the same about the non-AFM planes and the A10 is my absolute fav. Can't wait to get back into that bird with a better flight model, as you said the Mav standoff range makes it a much better killer than the 25T with its high pilot workload.:pilotfly:

P.S The 25A is a great way to train yourself in reading the steam guages for flight info instead of getting it off the hud.

Edited by Scarecrow