Was looking to get back into Lock-On - so... what do I get?

jpinard

I saw the announcement on Bluesnews that Lock-On: Flaming Cliffs 2 is shipping. It's been foreever sicne I played Lock-On and am wondering what I should be getting to make it up-to-date.

To make it more confusing, when I go to the "Purchase Now" selection instead of taking my to Flaming Cliffs 2, the link takes me to "DCS: Black Shark (Eng)"

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?end_pos=135&scr=products

So, what's the difference between these? What's official? Which should I be buying?

Thanks! :)

I don't want to give you the wrong information on what to buy. But this is what I did: I dusted off my LOMAC CD and installed LOMAC on my Windows 7 system and bought the $30 Flaming cliffs 2(ENG), DL'ed, installed it and everything is working great.

Also its good to see another Bluesnews reader on here. I don't know if you post on Bluesnews at all, but all those posts in the Flaming Cliffs 2 news announcement were just ridiculous.

If you want to buy the english download version of FC2 you should go here:

http://lockon.co.uk/index.php?end_pos=1322&scr=shop

(the same as clicking on the Flaming Cliffs 2 banner above the thread)

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

I don't want to give you the wrong information on what to buy. But this is what I did: I dusted off my LOMAC CD and installed LOMAC on my Windows 7 system and bought the $30 Flaming cliffs 2(ENG), DL'ed, installed it and everything is working great.

Also its good to see another Bluesnews reader on here. I don't know if you post on Bluesnews at all, but all those posts in the Flaming Cliffs 2 news announcement were just ridiculous.

Did i understand you correct ?

You only installed LOCK ON Version 1.0 before you started the installation of the english download version of Flaming Cliffs 2.0 ?

Is the installation of Flaming Cliffs Version 1.0 not necessary after the installation of Lock On ?

If i knew that i would not have installed FC1.

best regards,

GSG_9_LIGHTNING

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey jpinard, good to see you around still. I remember you used to hang out on the Combatsim.com Falcon 4.0 boards a lot back in the early 2000s ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus G72GX | CPU: Core 2 Duo Overclocked @ 2.9Ghz | Memory 6GB DDR2 | Graphics Card: nVidia GTX 260m 1GB | OS: Windows 7 Home Premium | Monitor: Samsung 32" LCD

LOMAC 1.0 to FC 1.12 System RIP (2003-2010) | AMD Athlon 64 3000+ overclocked to 2565MHz | NVidia Geforce 7800 GS AGP 256 MB | 1GB Kingston PC2700 DDR DRAM | Windows 2000 with SP4

Did i understand you correct ?

You only installed LOCK ON Version 1.0 before you started the installation of the english download version of Flaming Cliffs 2.0 ?

Is the installation of Flaming Cliffs Version 1.0 not necessary after the installation of Lock On ?

If i knew that i would not have installed FC1.

Have a look at the FAQ, maybe you missed something else as well? As far as I can tell you still need to install the old FC in order to install the download version upgrade to FC2. You do not need to activate it though...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=782970&postcount=2

Good luck with the flying now anyway!

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Have a look at the FAQ, maybe you missed something else as well? As far as I can tell you still need to install the old FC in order to install the download version upgrade to FC2. You do not need to activate it though...

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=782970&postcount=2

Good luck with the flying now anyway!

It's wrong. I installed the English d/l version with only LO1.0 installed, no FC1.

What about Black Shark? Is that a totally different game series? I got the impression it was built on the Lock:On engine.

T-Bone - do you still play F4? I'm really into ArmA2 at the moment and the chopper/jets you can fly got me itnerested in booting up a real flight-sim again. Il-2, Lock-On, and Falcon 4 Allied Force :) I finally have the power to run them all at max detail as well.

Black Shark is part of a new and different game series that is separate from Lock On. It is not built on the Lock On engine, though it now shares an engine with FC2 (which looks similar to, but uses a different engine than Lock On and FC1). The sims that will make up the DCS series, of which Black Shark is the first, are intended to be hard core study sims, modelling one aircraft at a time to painstaking and generally unsurpassed detail. See this page to get an idea of the depth to which the Ka-50 is modeled:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?end_pos=950&scr=default&lang=en

The Lock On series, including FC2, is in contrast a survey sim, which models many aircraft but with less detail and realism. So yes, they are separate products, and AFAIK future ED endeavors will focus on filling out the DCS series, while FC2 may be the last iteration of Lock On.

Having said all that, FC2 and DCS:Black Shark now share a game engine, which means missions and campaigns built for one should more-or-less work with the other. Furthermore, they will soon be online compatible, pending the release of a second patch for Black Shark.