BOX/DOWNLOAD VERSION 2,0 DIFFERENCE

As far as I know the DVD version will include some (perhaps all, but I think it's too much GB) of the training videos you need to download and install manually if you have the download version.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

I don't mean to sound flippant, but my guess would be that the main difference is that you get a box and a DVD. :P

No clue what'll actually end up being done, but that would pretty much be it if it follows the DCS:BS method which is my guess - you basically get a box with the installer and related media all there with no need for you to wait for a big download (which in some countries with capped connections and such can be a problem). In DCS:BS the rest was identical as far as activations and such goes (no need for disc in drive to run etc).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

In DCS:BS the rest was identical as far as activations and such goes (no need for disc in drive to run etc).

So does that mean that even the retail disc version has a limited number of activations?

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

So does that mean that even the retail disc version has a limited number of activations?

Yes, like DCS:Ka-50 disc. Nice thing is the disc in itself is not copy protected (the protection is the software activation) so you can make a backup of it.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Yes.

But the nice thing is that (as Distiler mentioned) you are able to make backups of the disk or even store it on a pendrive, so unlike most DVD-distributed games you will not end up blueballed if you lose your disc. (I'm actually on my third LOMAC disc - every time I move house I seem to lose it.)

And the correct way to look at it isn't "limited number of activations", it's simply "online activation". Each serial does have an activation limit - but legitimate users can contact ED when and if they run out to get a refill. Refer to your Quick-Launch manual for more information.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks for clarifying that for me Distiler and EtherealN. I didnt realize that.

Sometimes I wondered if I would someday regret my decision to purchase DCS and FC 2.0 digitally rather than wait for a dvd copy.

Now that I know the disc is the same activation as the digital version, I dont have to worry about it.

Yes, I will start to look at it as online activations rather than limited activations. Thats a good way to think of it.

I have confidence in ED.

Dont let the smell get to ya...............

Limited number of activation's on DVD version?!?!?!? What the hack that mean? I have the Lock On Flaming Cliff's on CD and what I know about that is you have to put your CD in CD drive every 7th day because activation has expire and i was OK with that. Is this will be used for Flaming Cliff's 2.0 or not?

Presing

Rocket brigade who retired F-117

Presing, the system mentioned is what's in use for DCS:BS on download and disc, and FC2 on download. I do not know for absolute certain what will be used for the disc version of FC2 (no time to check right now), but I expect it to be the same as for DCS:BS DVD.

I do not know if there will be differences between western and eastern discs.

Look at it this way: what would you do in FC1.12 if you lost your disc and didn't retain proof of purchase? You'd have to buy it again. No such issues with this method.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Limited number of activation's on DVD version?!?!?!? What the hack that mean? I have the Lock On Flaming Cliff's on CD and what I know about that is you have to put your CD in CD drive every 7th day because activation has expire and i was OK with that. Is this will be used for Flaming Cliff's 2.0 or not?

Presing

AFAIK, Flaming Cliffs dvd doesen't use exactly the same Starforce as Flaming Cliffs 1 download version or Flaming Cliffs 2 / DCS:Ka-50. In fact it's more friendly. Activate and forget about it, no need of keeping the dvd inside the dvd reader.

Yes, but if you run out of activations you can send live video of yourself and your DVD case/disk (along with your old dead computers) to ED and they may give you more activations. I've always felt that it would be more difficult to prove that you own a legitimate copy if you don't have anything in hard form.

I think i would like to take my chances with losing the disc than put up with contacting ED for more activations. This was a problem with FC1.1 download version. Can not comment on BS yet as I am waiting for fixed wing a/c to arrive. Although ED was good at giving more activation it was a hassle and we were basically advised to ask very nice or you may not get any as they were not obliged to provide any more than what you received originally. So would someone be so kind as to explain exactly how BS works with a dvd download. Thanks.

I am buying DVD copy because i don't want to think about activation's. I am reinstalling my window's often and also i like to change part's of my rig. Why they putting DVD version out when that version have also internet activation's, what about people who don't have internet at all? Is this a way to fight the pirate copy's or? Don't forget BlackShark was craked in 1 week but Flaming cliff's was never cracked with mass effect and it was happen after two year's. If the some video's are only difference and it will be the same activation procedure for internet and DVD version why anybody will buy it?

Just to clear my self I have original cd's of lock on and flaming cliff's never used pirates.

Presing

Rocket brigade who retired F-117

As I said: if you legitimately run out of activations you can refer to your quick-start manual for the instructions on getting a refill.

And yes, obviously it's to limit piracy. ;)

As for why anyone will buy it - you'll have to ask all those who did buy it, as well as those who purchase games by UBIsoft and others who now require you to be constantly connected to the internet for single-play, even if you have a disc.

That's as far as this discussion will go as to the why and wherefore though, since this topic is always flammable. The facts are what they are. Do however note again that the FC2 DVD isn't released yet and I do not know for certain how it will be managed since I am not involved in it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

This is the only bad thing i see in ED.

It´s a pity, that legal users have more problems than pirates (look some weeks ago with ubisoft and Silent Hunter)

Activations... It´s like if i rent the game. Yes they give more, but whats the matter if i don´t have internet anymore?

Or i study at 400 km from my house where i have another PC. So i can´t install it in 2 pc? o yes i can but 2 activations then.

Or i do lot of test with my pc and i format regularly.

I think all of us pay for this software because we know that it´s important to ED continues here. Also i know people that buy download and BOX version, i mean, buy the same product more than 1 time.

The protection of FC DVD works good, why don´t they use for FC2?

I don´t know, but what i know, is that ED have to look also for his clients.

Greetings

The protection of FC DVD works good, why don´t they use for FC2?

Because there were a large amount of complaints about the system used with FC1.

There have been no complaints of that kind about the system used with DCS:BS.

Ergo: people are happier with that system, since it does not rely on a driver. Understand this: ED switched system because users asked for it to be changed.

This has been gone over many times before in many threads that ended up having to be locked because people didn't keep themselves chilled and clear-headed when on this topic.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

To Pressing, you said DCS:Ka-50 was cracked in 1 week...precisely! that was the first version shipped in Russia and it didn't use the activation Starforce, but the classic Starforce protection. Since then, all DCS versions have been using the activation scheme, with much succes according to ED.

Also, classic Starforce didn't let you do even a backup of your own disc! on top of that, if you search the internet, you'll see customers HATE the classic protection scheme.

Edited by Distiler

The guarantees made by ED satisfy me. In particular, the fact that more activations can be obtained with valid proof-of-purchase and that a no-DRM patch will be offered if ED were to close down is considerable comfort. Even if these promises couldn't be kept, I'd view the statements as a justifiable cause for by-passing the DRM in such a situation.

So I, as a long standing opponent of DRM, am actually quite satisified with ED's approach (now that the two policies above have been added). I feel I own the game, rather than renting (limited activations without a chance to have them refilled) or becoming ensurfed (having core game components kept in a central server).

Thanks ED.

Just a couple of simple questions. If you format your hard drive, what exactly happens. do you use an activation? If you have x no. of activations, how are they used up if you don't change anything in your computer for a long time. I would presume you use one activation for install on your computer. Just trying to get a handle on this before I purchase download over dvd version. Thanks of any info.

Just a couple of simple questions. If you format your hard drive, what exactly happens. do you use an activation

If you format your hard drive, presumably you will be re-installing the OS, in which case you will need to activate the product. However, if you deactivate the product before formating, you will save yourself the actvation and when you re-activate, it will be the same activation you were running before. Given that you have 8 activations and 10 deactivations, you can do this up to 18 times.

If you have x no. of activations, how are they used up if you don't change anything in your computer for a long time.
If there are no changes to your computer, you should not need to activate the product after the initial installation. However, there have been cases where something like cahnges to the network settings would trip an activation.
Just trying to get a handle on this before I purchase download over dvd version. Thanks of any info.
The protection scheme for the DVD will be exactly the same as for the download version.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Where can i find the DVD version of FC2 in the e-shop ??

I want to buy it but if i go to the ED e-shop i'm able to find only the download version...

Q: Where will the boxed version of Flaming Cliffs 2.0 be available?

A: Outside of TFC website (http://www.kengray.co.uk/lockonbuy.htm), that has yet to be determined.

Also: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=862355

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning