I need help getting around

Wags94

I can't turn very well in DCS: Black Shark. My method for turning the aircraft is simply press the trimmer, hold it down, turn, settle, release trimmer. That usually gets me where I want fairly easily. My issue is when the rudder/yaw is involved. I end up sliding all over the place when I add rudder into my turns (or whenever I use rudder, regardless what I'm doing). Not only am I sliding all over around the place, but my nose ends up flailing around wildly after coming out of a turn and releasing rudder pressure. It makes it quite difficult to navigate around.

Am I doing something wrong? Any tips for simply flying the KA-50?

(Sorry if the question is a bit "nooby.")

"Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano at a whore house."

Be slow and smooth with the pedals, sounds like you are being too agressive with the rudder. As long as you keep it smooth and begin to level out and start reducing rudder around 10-20 degress before your desired heading (depending on turn rate of course) you'll be perfroming perfect turns in no time.

Also, keep and eye on the slip indicator and make sure you keep your turns coordinated from start to finnish, that'll save having to make corrections when you level out.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Be slow and smooth with the pedals, sounds like you are being too agressive with the rudder. As long as you keep it smooth and begin to level out and start reducing rudder around 10-20 degress before your desired heading (depending on turn rate of course) you'll be perfroming perfect turns in no time.

Also, keep and eye on the slip indicator and make sure you keep your turns coordinated from start to finnish, that'll save having to make corrections when you level out.

Alright, thanks! :P

EDIT/ADDITION: How do I deal with the fact that trimming the aircraft holds my rudder pedal position? I'll get to where I want to be, hold, trim, then start moving wildly.

An example: If I'm turning left, as I bank I apply left rudder. I get to my desired heading, level the aircraft, and hit the trim while still applying left or right rudder to make slight correction. When I trim while making rudder input, the aircraft starts yawing into the direction of the rudder input and will not stop unless I apply opposite rudder or reset the trim.

Edited by Wags94

"Don't tell mom I'm a pilot, she thinks I play piano at a whore house."

Make sure you are stable on your new heading and/or your rudder is straight before you release trim. You shouldn't need to maintain rudder pressure to hold the new heading unless you are side slipping due to not coordinating the turn properly. The only time you really need to trim in rudder is when you go from hover to forward flight to counteract the tendancy of the shark to roll right at speed, left cyclic and right rudder are needed to stay coordinated.

Use the control graphic (cntrl + enter) to watch your control inputs to start with, it really help you gets used to using the controls and trim imho.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Eddie, (or anyone else with teh knowledge) I'm also curious about the turning characteristics of the Shark. I've encountered couple of times, when flying somewhat slow, under 100km/h, when the Kamov should be very agile turner in the yawing fashion due to it's coaxial rotors, but for some reason, I've yet been more or less unable to follow this kind of manouver. What I have noticed is that pulling some more collective with full rudder tends to accelerate the turning rate momentarily, but just a tad, so is there some fancy aerodynamics included which I don't know of, but would help me to tame this beast? :smilewink:

I'm currently unable to do any testing/practicing as I'm working a couple of days in a different town, and darn reading these forums are making me want to get a grip-of-it, or whatever's the saying =D

And one last note, by pitching the nose down, sort of dipping it during these what-should-be-fast turns also tends to hasten the turn, but then If I'm already five feet above ground, it isn't that recommended I suppose.. And I tend to keep the trimmer pushed during these manouvers, if not entirely pushing the whole yaw-channel out.. So, all in all, I'm a complete newbie to the aerodynamics of the helis, and the manouvers they are capable of, but it sure is he** of a fun to learn those, and therefore would like to have some insight from you pros!:pilotfly:

6S_Blues

Alright, thanks! :P

EDIT/ADDITION: How do I deal with the fact that trimming the aircraft holds my rudder pedal position? I'll get to where I want to be, hold, trim, then start moving wildly.

An example: If I'm turning left, as I bank I apply left rudder. I get to my desired heading, level the aircraft, and hit the trim while still applying left or right rudder to make slight correction. When I trim while making rudder input, the aircraft starts yawing into the direction of the rudder input and will not stop unless I apply opposite rudder or reset the trim.

This was covered (I believe) in either a post here or in the Trim Developer's Notes. You only have a certain amount of time after trimming to center your controls before your current adjustment is in addition to the trim setting.

Trim, neutral controls, then adjust.

Wags94 you are welcome to stop by my ts sever for some flying tips. The mercs are misty USA guys and shuld be on the same time you are. Connection info can be found on our web site.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Depending on your situation, after you set your controls and Trim, if rudder is way off but you weren't intending to trim in a sustained turn or yaw, a quick tap of Z or X (if left on defaults) will quickly re-center your rudder and you can hit Trim again.

Often that will help neutralize a lot of the rudder input build-up, but you'll have to recognise when to use it, and when to just re-trim the controls to a more central and stable position (else when you do try to move off, chances are you'll be flying off on a diagonal aspect rather than ahead direction anyway, with rotor pitch and rudder operating opposite eachother).

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

Also I note your use of the term reset trim, which is different to doing a re-trim. Resetting trim is most often a recipe for a quick manouvre into the shark's "playing dead" position (laying on its back) :D

Unless things are getting REALLY out of hand already anyway, the only time I tend to reset trim is upon touchdown of a landing, speed and motion permitting.

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]