A10 - Cat and Mouse Tactics

I"m currently going through the FC 2.0 A10 Campaign and I'm a bit confused regarding some of the tactics for CAS/Interdiction missions. Although my question is general. I'll describe the specific mission scenario, its the 5th or 6th mission in the Campaign.

The objective is to destroy 2 separate groups of supply trucks just behind the FLOT. Now I can't go over 10,000ft or the BUK to the west of the map will launch about a half a dozen missiles my way in second (ECM seems useless). So I have to stay low and try to take the trucks out, I check the immediate area around the trucks and I take out a AAA ZSU emplacement with a Maverick, and I uncomfortably make my first run to the 1st set of trucks. Moments later I see

smoke trails from a MANPAD and another from a Strela just off to my left. I beam both missiles amd toss flares and chaff. Soon after that I take them out with a maverick and rockets. I make another run at the targets and I get closer to the targets this time, but now I see 3 more launches this time from my right, needless to say I'm too close to escape and both me and my Wingie get taken out.

I've seen advice here about flying close to targets, forcing them into an early launch to give away their position and also searching with the IR MAV and taking out the OBVIOUS AA threats, but this cat and mouse game just seems haphazard. Surely there has to be a better approach to take out short range SAM threats ? I mean using myself as bait to see if they'll fire justs seems like suicide. Flying over 15,000 ft to stay out of their range is out of the question here since we have long range radar SAMs in the area.

Just a as a backdrop, I have about 100 hours in BS without showing labels so I'm pretty well aware of the basic ground attack tactics and the importance of standoff. But I admitedly I don't have much flying time in the Hog. AA threats seem well disguised as well as I can barely spot them from the air due to the dark terrain. I guess I'm almost feeling like this environment is just a bit too dangerous for an A-10.

Any tactical advice I can get from you guys here would be great!

What I have done with this mission is to keep my distance and attack with Mavericks. Then I break and hide in the mountains. If I run out off Mavericks I make it to the base rearm refuel and repeat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

What I have done with this mission is to keep my distance and attack with Mavericks. Then I break and hide in the mountains. If I run out off Mavericks I make it to the base rearm refuel and repeat.

I have to admit I'm not fond of rearming/refueling but I might actually give this a try. Its just a bit too dangerous down around the target area in this mission.

I have to admit I'm not fond of rearming/refueling but I might actually give this a try. Its just a bit too dangerous down around the target area in this mission.

I'm not fond of rearming/refueling too but I couldn't find any other way to win this mission. Its a good mission though.

Edited by connos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

I'm not sure if you play with the option enabled, but you can choose to "Jump to aircraft" by pressing RALT+J. I use this to try and get by the Wingman's rather limited AI.

And in the process, it doubles your arsenal of mavericks available. Fire 4 and switch to other plane. Issue RTB to wingman, and fire four from your new aircraft. You can get something of a cycle of rearming trips going to an extent, to make sure you can keep your targets under fire.

Do general people remember to use their Wingman in action? (AI)

I am fairly new though so I keep forgetting, but he is somewhat of a "mouse" for the fire and helps you getting in for a pincer move and fire....When I remember to use him that is..

I'm not sure if you play with the option enabled, but you can choose to "Jump to aircraft" by pressing RALT+J. I use this to try and get by the Wingman's rather limited AI.

I didn't know you could do this. Thanks for the tip.

Do general people remember to use their Wingman in action? (AI)

I am fairly new though so I keep forgetting, but he is somewhat of a "mouse" for the fire and helps you getting in for a pincer move and fire....When I remember to use him that is..

I usually keep him close to me until I've taken out the AA threats before I send him off to take out the primary targets.

One thing that really helps in identifying targets is to increase the Res of Cockpit Displays in the option. At first, I used 256 to save frame rate but couldn't identify anything in the Maverick's display until I get in too close. I upped the resolution to 1024 and now I can definitely identify SAM and AAA units from 5~6nm out. And to my surprise, frame rate hit wasn't even noticeable. You still have to zoom into the MFD all the way however to correctly identify targets.

And I also use cockpit jumping to utilize my wingman. Could be considered a cheat but seems like it's the only way to get some use out of him.

Also, don't try to be a hero and try to annihilate every enemy units. Some times few well placed Mavericks on primary targets only is all you need to do.

Edited by Ven

I use my wingman to take out Shilka's/ZSU23's quite effectively by making an initial approach to lock the target up with my free-fall bomb reticule (not Maverick, that one doesn't work with the next bit). I usually get fairly close to accurately mark his position, up to the point he starts firing at me, so I know I have his attention. I then break hard in a safe direction, and tell my wingman to Attack My Target. I then continue to play with the target, teasing him and flying around close so he keeps firing at me, so my wingman can take him out relatively safely. I find this tactic works really well, especially if your wingman has dumped all his ordanance due to a SAM threat, your wingman will use the GAU and take the target out in one pass.

One thing that really helps in identifying targets is to increase the Res of Cockpit Displays in the option. At first, I used 256 to save frame rate but couldn't identify anything in the Maverick's display until I get in too close. I upped the resolution to 1024 and now I can definitely identify SAM and AAA units from 5~6nm out. And to my surprise, frame rate hit wasn't even noticeable. You still have to zoom into the MFD all the way however to correctly identify targets.

And I also use cockpit jumping to utilize my wingman. Could be considered a cheat but seems like it's the only way to get some use out of him.

Also, don't try to be a hero and try to annihilate every enemy units. Some times few well placed Mavericks on primary targets only is all you need to do.

What is the difference between 512, 1024 and 512 every frame and 1024 every frame?

MB:MSI X79A-GD45

CPU:Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz

Ram:16 gb

Grafik :GTX 680 Sli

Win 7 64 bit

1200 W

2 ssd 120 gb

1 2 TB western Digital Caviar Green