I just discovered X-Plane 9

Rodney

Oh, it's pretty sweet, alright - though I think plane-builders notice the differences from v8 much more than little average me. Well, scenery developers too, of course - something with DDS/PNG hierarchy or support. I didn't really notice any difference going from v8 to 9 besides add-on compatibility. An' I'm not looking back. :)

Oh, right, the FMS had some poking and prodding done to it as well - I noticed THAT. And the revised list of subsystems in the Failures-screen. Although I understand IL-2 had some pretty fancy damage model, and FC2/DCS can't be any worse, the v9 line-up of potential failures and their combination is just... perverse, really! Now you can have FUSES blow, not just tires!

• Like 1

Yeah X-Plane 9 is a pretty sweet product.The only thing I like more about FSX are ORBX (Being an Aussie) and the Force feedback implementation, but I love to just take a plane out on X-plane and do a bit of sight seeing

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

if i had v9 and the money i would buy REX thing without hesitating . AVSIM gold medal you don't take much risks ...

X-plane is definitly a good game

Correct me if I'm wrong here but these clouds rotate as aircraft rolls, just like in Flanker 2.

Major major MAJOR issue dude.

The bigger issue is that there are practically NO high fidelity addons I know of for X-Plane. Like this one http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=b-17+accusim&search_type=&aq=f

The second biggest issue some X-Plane devs even don't recognize is :huh: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=46060&st=0&p=510188&fromsearch=1entry510188

if i had v9 and the money i would buy REX thing without hesitating . AVSIM gold medal you don't take much risks ...

X-plane is definitly a good game

with my growing interest for v9 i spent the night surfing the forums and seems REX for XP isn't as good as REX for FSX . seems there are a great improvement for the clouds but that's all , no ground textures , good point still , developpers promise if they release updates they'll be free (software owners) . so finally 30E for only clouds well it's up to you ..

Major major MAJOR issue dude.

i just found a prog called FSimp which allow MSFS stuff importing and i'm just stunned by the result and how easy to use the program is , check the pics ( v8 )

Screenshot-24_08_201022_35_03.jpg

Screenshot-24_08_201022_35_19.jpg

Screenshot-24_08_201022_35_28.jpg

Screenshot-24_08_201022_36_00.jpg

Screenshot-24_08_201022_36_07.jpg

the most impressive it's that even with the forest addon (alpilotx) set on very dense ( x-plane v8 ) there is absolutly no FPS drop

the prog is payware but cheap and you can import whatever you want scenes , trafic and seems there's even an object placer (not tried yet)

edit : with AFCAD

th_Screenshot-24_08_201023_24_15.jpg th_Screenshot-24_08_201023_24_05.jpg

Edited by jpm1

The bigger issue is that there are practically NO high fidelity addons I know of for X-Plane. Like this one http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=b-17+accusim&search_type=&aq=f

The second biggest issue some X-Plane devs even don't recognize is :huh: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=46060&st=0&p=510188&fromsearch=1entry510188

Yeah as much as I like X-Plane, there is no point expecting a rational conversation on that forum. The whole things full of "strongly opinionated individuals at the opposite end of the spectrum to me", that refuse to engage in a normal debate,.That said Wikipedia is just as bad and don't get me started on the behavior on the various falcon sites about the way things should be done

I spent a lot of time looking at coding an X-Plane combat plugin a year or so back, similar to what they did for Flight Gear recently. To me the problem with 90% of simulators under development (FO, Jet Thunder, even ROF) is that they spend a whole bunch of time on the engine, where what makes a game good is the systems modelling. This is why F4 is still doing so well, its one of the only games where you can actually flick all the buttons, kick the tires etc. The logical progression then is to find an engine, preferably one with global scenery, and leave all that stuff to them while you concentrate on System modelling, radar display, damage model AI etc.

I found however the second you mention combat over there those guys go nuts, you get one rational useful response for 20 people accusing you of being Sadam Husseins brother out to eat their children and start world war 3.

There are people actively lobbying the developer against any military input, to the point where Bomb smoke was removed a few patches back because it was seen as violent. They all like to fly around in there military planes, they just like to ignore what they are actually used for.

The best advice I can give about the .org forum is make your 25 posts so you can download a decent number of files a day and back away slowly without making eye contact when the locals come by...

I will point out however that I will buy X-Plane 10 and I actively enjoy the product, and the mods. I just find that the behavior on that particular forum is skewed so far to the left that it is impossible for me to interact there.

/End Rant

Edited by shu77

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

Yeah as much as I like X-Plane, there is no point expecting a rational conversation on that forum. The whole things full of "strongly opinionated individuals at the opposite end of the spectrum to me", that refuse to engage in a normal debate,.That said Wikipedia is just as bad and don't get me started on the behavior on the various falcon sites about the way things should be done

I spent a lot of time looking at coding an X-Plane combat plugin a year or so back, similar to what they did for Flight Gear recently. To me the problem with 90% of simulators under development (FO, Jet Thunder, even ROF) is that they spend a whole bunch of time on the engine, where what makes a game good is the systems modelling. This is why F4 is still doing so well, its one of the only games where you can actually flick all the buttons, kick the tires etc. The logical progression then is to find an engine, preferably one with global scenery, and leave all that stuff to them while you concentrate on System modelling, radar display, damage model AI etc.

I found however the second you mention combat over there those guys go nuts, you get one rational useful response for 20 people accusing you of being Sadam Husseins brother out to eat their children and start world war 3.

There are people actively lobbying the developer against any military input, to the point where Bomb smoke was removed a few patches back because it was seen as violent. They all like to fly around in there military planes, they just like to ignore what they are actually used for.

The best advice I can give about the .org forum is make your 25 posts so you can download a decent number of files a day and back away slowly without making eye contact when the locals come by...

I will point out however that I will buy X-Plane 10 and I actively enjoy the product, and the mods. I just find that the behavior on that particular forum is skewed so far to the left that it is impossible for me to interact there.

/End Rant

I put flight modeling 10 times over systems, so I have different priority. Please don't refer to that. I won't discuss it anyway :)

As for X-Plane community - I won't judge them after one topic I participated in which broke something important to them and came from a newcomer (who happens to be an aviation engineer with some flight experience but that seemed to be less important to them) :D Also I got used to reaction of people when they are told they are simply wrong in a way that makes further discussion futile. That's the internet :) But I can't understand that X-Plane devs (they may be volunteers, who responded, but still) don't even recognize the problem. Their condition was basically - 'We will recognize the problem, IF you send us equations". Well, you don't need equations to tell that something is wrong and to expect devs to fix it. Plus I put great hopes into X-Plane and the whole discussion pissed me off.

On X-Plane defense - X-Plane is with 99% probability capable of implementing control surfaces movement limits (a must!). If not out of the box then through a plugin. Either way it's the plane makers who failed. Not X-Plane per se.

X-Plane has a lot to offer to plane makers. It's flight model needs very few data to be at least plausible and it will always give this precious impression of being in the air. It also has a LOT of systems modeling built-in. From pre-modeled avionics to engine chargers. You just input some parameters. The problem is most plane makers think X-Plane will do everything for them. They treat it as a 'Super realistic plane wizzard'. Those people are mostly amateurs but who let planes without control surfaces limits into the official demo?! They all fly like kites when you move your joystick fast.

Yeah X-Plane 9 is a pretty sweet product.The only thing I like more about FSX are ORBX (Being an Aussie) and the Force feedback implementation, but I love to just take a plane out on X-plane and do a bit of sight seeing
I hope you are not talking about FSX's default FFB implementation o_O!

....The best advice I can give about the .org forum is make your 25 posts so you can download a decent number of files a day and back away slowly without making eye contact when the locals come by...

:megalol: :thumbup:

It's a crying shame that the internet seems to infect select individuals with sets of Brass Cojone's of such tremendous stature that, if the cloak of internetivity were to be removed, you'd need a motorized wheelbarrow to get around with to get to the corner-shoppie.

Each to their own :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

:megalol: :thumbup:

It's a crying shame that the internet seems to infect select individuals with sets of Brass Cojone's of such tremendous stature that, if the cloak of internetivity were to be removed, you'd need a motorized wheelbarrow to get around with to get to the corner-shoppie.

Each to their own :)

Hopefully you mean them not me... :) I just found it really sad that such a positive sim has such a narrow minded set of individuals managing the forum. It was like the worst parts of Frugals... I spent a bunch of time there and even released a number of skins, but the second you mention wanting your planes to do anything other then fly around you're the Antichrist.

It got to the point where I gave up wanting to be involved. At least this forum and LOF are full of positive individuals that like the sim and what it can do.

cw1.png

• 3 weeks later...

Carenado released their first high fidelity sim for X-plane!

CARENADO MOONEY M20J 201 XPLANE

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/buscador.php3?id_producto=86

more pics: http://www.carenado.com/pages/picM20jxplanefsx.htm

10.jpg

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Carenado released their first high fidelity sim for X-plane!

CARENADO MOONEY M20J 201 XPLANE

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/buscador.php3?id_producto=86

more pics: http://www.carenado.com/pages/picM20jxplanefsx.htm

10.jpg

One question - have you tried any HD X-Plane planes with control surfaces deflection limits modeled at least in a primitive way?

I fly on X-plane 9 addon called BK 117 almost exclusively. Haven't purchased any other payware addon yet. I am planning get Carenado addons next. If you explain me what you mean exactly I will let you know, because I don't understand what you are asking.

tail# 44 or 444

I fly on X-plane 9 addon called BK 117 almost exclusively. Haven't purchased any other payware addon yet. I am planning get Carenado addons next. If you explain me what you mean exactly I will let you know, because I don't understand what you are asking.

It's too complicated for rotorcraft. You'd have to have some fixed wing addon. It's all perfectly explained in my topic on x-plane forums http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=46060&st=0

One question - have you tried any HD X-Plane planes with control surfaces deflection limits modeled at least in a primitive way?

Now I understand what you meant. This is exactly my first impression when I got X-plane in my hands. Stock planes were feeling in controls and behaving like RC planes.

I confirm. Yes they are. There are many planes to be checked, but if you want to fix the stock fast movers just add XFCS plugin. Other high quality addons do not require that, but you can still hook up XFCS if you want.

Edited by Shaman

tail# 44 or 444

Now I understand what you meant. This is exactly my first impression when I got X-plane in my hands. Stock planes were feeling in controls and behaving like RC planes.

I confirm. Yes they are. There are many planes to be checked, but if you want to fix the stock fast movers just add XFCS plugin. Other high quality addons do not require that, but you can still hook up XFCS if you want.

Good comparison to RC planes. XFCS may solve the issue only for FBW aircrafts. Non-FBW ones will still 'feel' like RC planes. Or like crap for that matter :)