FaceTrackNoIR 1.0.

A Head-tracker that works only with face recognition (No LEDs or Reflective tape)

FaceTrackNoIR 1.0. download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/facetracknoir/

You need to install FaceApi for it to work.

You can get it here: http://www.seeingmachines.com/produc...api/downloads/

Will need to register before you can download it.(Request Non-Commercial faceAPI License v3.2.0) its automated and it took me only 2 min to get the e-mail to download FaceTrackingAPI_NC-V3.2.0.

Readme:

FaceTrackNoIR (v. 1.0.0).

FaceTrackNoIR is a head-tracker, which uses the FaceAPI provided by SeeingMachines. It was made using Visual Studio 2008 and Qt.The major advantage over other headtrackers is, that it uses a simple webcam to track the face of 'the gamer'. There is no need for expensive equipment or even Borg-like devices with LED's and such.

Installation:

To install the program, simply start Setup.exe and follow the directions. Use the desktop-icon to start FaceTrackNoIR.

Compatibility:

FaceTrackNoIR is made for Windows and tested on XP, Vista and Windows7. The FaceAPI creators recommend a dual-core processor or better. Because the 'non-commercial' version of the FaceAPI is used, the webcam can not be 'chosen': it always uses the first webcam it finds! When FaceTrackNoIR is started, the name of this webcam is displayed.

Games:

Until now, FaceTrackNoIR supports the protocol created by Free-track (ArmA 2 supports this) and FlightGear. We are working on others...

Testing:

To test the Free-track protocol, we included FreeTrackTest.exe, which was made by the Free-track team. If this works, ArmA 2 also will.

Settings:

The head-tracking settings can be loaded and saved, using the menu-items under 'File'. The last settings will automatically load on startup. It may be necessary to fiddle with these settings: the provided .ini files are not really optimized!

Remarks:

- To reduce CPU-load it is best to minimize FaceTrackNoIR before starting/switching to the game.

- The combobox 'Game protocol' shows 3 choices, however it does not actually do anything with the selection (yet). Both Free-track and FlightGear protocols are started.

- We are planning to make FaceTrackNoIR 'server-client' modes. This way the head-tracking can be run on one computer and the game on another. This should significantly improve performance.

Please let us know if you like the program, if you have ideas for improvements or any questions you might have.

The source is also available!

The FaceTrackNoIR team:

It uses the freetrack protokol- so it should also work with DCS-BS after intalling the freetrack ddl.

I can't try it up to now - I'm holidays and have only a little net-book with me.

Edited by PeterP

REALLY cool, I've been waiting for something like this ever since I read about FaceAPI. Thank you a lot for the information!

Unfortunately it's still a bit jumpy, needs some clever smoothing I feel.

Also, I'd like a way to manually center when I'm looking straight, because now my "straight-forward-head-pose" is interpreted as slightly down...

Edit: I was obviously a bit too psyched to try it out that I didn't even read the readme. There exists settings for manual centering already. They even added a clever smoothing scheme in the last version! :thumbup:

It kind of works right now. The tracking is a bit slowed down because of the filtering unfortunately, so it's not as responsive as I'd prefer. But still, it's (essentially) equipment-free and free (as in free beer) head tracking that (kind of) works quite well!

I'm going to try playing Arma2 with it today during our clan game.

Edit2:

If anyone is interested: I could not get it to work with either DCS Black Shark or Flaming Cliffs 2, even with TrackIR fixer. Not entirely surprising though, since it only employs the FreeTrack protocol and not the TrackIR-protocol (like the FreeTrack software does). Take note though that I did not try chaining it with a GlovePIE-script, there seems to be some way to emulate TrackIR to make it work in these games as well.

Edited by Boulund

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

• 3 weeks later...

So...has anyone come up with a way to get facetracking to work in FC2?

edit: got it working with Fake Track IR and Track IR fix...Best I can get with my webcam atm is 9 FPS facetracking....sucks...I think I'll need to try another one.

edit2:got it running at 30FPS. just edited the exposure settings of my webcam.

Edited by Tenebrae666

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

I must be doing something wrong!

I downloaded FaceTrackNoIR 1.3 with all the updates,

The tracking seems fine and all the dialers in the interface are reacting properly to my head moovments, but when I try to read this numbers from another software (glovePie, adobe Director etc.) the numbers are going wild - I can see there is something there, as the joystick reading in GP or Director are not 0, they are chaning in respond to my head moovment but with no direction - sometiems they go up, sometimes down, doesn;t matter where do I moove my head or how do I rotate it.

PLease help!