Good cpu for overclocking to 4Ghz.

So my gaming pc quit working for good the other night. It starting crashing over and over again till it stopped posting BIOS.

I was using 2 AMD FX-74 @ 3Ghz on a Asus L1N64 mobo. 4gigs of ocz DDR2. 800 watt ultra PSU. BFG GTX285 graphics and 2 rapter drives in raid 0.

I plan to reuse the graphic card, HHD, and PSU.

Now for the hard choices. What mobo/CPU combo do you see hitting 4Ghz with the most stablity. Preferred air cooling over water. Prefer 4 cores over 2 as I will ne using this for other games. Budget is 600 US. Coming in under budget is a huge plus.

Both the unlocked Intel chips i5 and i7 875k are favored. I do have major concerns with the 1156 socket. I'll fill that in later.

Please show me your overclocks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You won't get unlocked Intel CPU for cheap... they are only of the Extreme edition if you want them unlocked for overclocking and they are always most pricey ones.

For 4GHz you could go E8600 (this way you get most stable overclock as FBS will be on default 400MHz with multiplier of 10) if you can still find one and get P45 chipset motherboard as that won't cost that much.

Don't know much about later Intel CPU's and how they overclock, surely they would cost more.

No longer active in DCS...

Phenom II x4 965 BE or Phenom II x6 1090T hit 4GHz resonably easy.

A corsair H50 CPU water cooler costs the same as a high end air cooler and in most cases (using push pull and a shroud or 2) will perform a bit better... plus the noise and weight on your motherboard is less.

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

mine ic2d e8500 is running actually at 3999 mhz, easily to overclock,..no sufficient temperature overheat,..even though with 9.5 multiplier.

decision depends on your money bag^^

i think newer sockets will be better choice..as we don t know what wsill happen within next 1-2 years with cpu pendancy!)

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You won't get unlocked Intel CPU for cheap... they are only of the Extreme edition if you want them unlocked for overclocking and they are always most pricey ones.

That's not true. As the OP mentions, the socket 1156 i5 655K and i7 875K (fairly new to the market) have unlocked multipliers. These are only slightly more expensive than their base i5 650 and i7 870 CPUs

That's not true. As the OP mentions, the socket 1156 i5 655K and i7 875K (fairly new to the market) have unlocked multipliers. These are only slightly more expensive than their base i5 650 and i7 870 CPUs

Good you mentioned this, like I said I am not very familiar with latest Intel CPU's (and I don't even follow AMD at all) but I wanted to check just how much more those unlocked CPU's would cost and was very surprised to see in one shop (in Australia) i7 870 (1156 socket 2.93GHz w/fan cooler) is costing $704 and i7 870K (1156 socket 2.93GHz without cooler) is costing $474... so exact same CPU and unlocked costs less then locked one? :huh: Surely you could find good aftermarket cooler for less then $230 price difference. :noexpression:

I'm not gonna upgrade yet so I am not following this lately but this is some good info :book:

No longer active in DCS...

You'll pay wads less for AMD3 chips as well and the black editions are unlocked.

Unless you do stuff other than gaming that chews wads of stuff, you'll be fine with AMD IMHO.

I had to make the same decision and decided on AMD due to cost, performance and the fact they don't change their sockets every week.

AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB OCZ AMD BE RAM, ATI HD5970 2GB XFX BE @ 875/1215, TM HOTAS Cougar, TM Cougar MFDs, TrackIR 5, CH MFP, GoFlight Switch Panel, iMo Mini-Monster Touch, Mimo 720S, Saitek Pro Flight Headset

Good you mentioned this, like I said I am not very familiar with latest Intel CPU's (and I don't even follow AMD at all) but I wanted to check just how much more those unlocked CPU's would cost and was very surprised to see in one shop (in Australia) i7 870 (1156 socket 2.93GHz w/fan cooler) is costing $704 and i7 870K (1156 socket 2.93GHz without cooler) is costing $474... so exact same CPU and unlocked costs less then locked one?

Not sure where you got those figures from. PC Case Gear (in Oz) has the i7 870 for AU$379 and the i7 875K for AU$449. So a $70 difference. PLE Computer (in Perth) also has the same sort of price difference.

Oh yeah, it also looks like the i5 655K and i7 875K are not packaged with heatsinks....but who wants them anyways? :P