Which one should I trust?

I have ASUS ATI 5750 GPU and m running it at 850MHz. Now heres what is confusing me. The ASUS smart doctor shows GPU temperature 71°C and the ATI catalyst shows 60°C. Can anyone tell me which one is authentic? Its 11°s difference.

Here's a confusing, but logical aproach. ;)

Depends on what you plan to do with the data.

Shut down to prevent damage? Stop O/C to prevent damage?

- Be paranoid enough and trust the higher number.

Want higher speeds and higher O/C - doesn't care about damaga?

- Trust the lower number.

Normally the datacollector from the GPU-specific software should collect it from the correct place.

Other more 'generic software' may try to use other and incorrect conversion methods. In this case Smart doctor is the 'generic software'.

- Assume ATI knows what they are doing, it's not ASUS product and temp-probes.

- Trust ATI temp-probe.

ATI temp-probe wins with 2 vs 1.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

More likely the hotter of the two. :) I've been struggling to keep my GPU heat just under 70C during game play (Nvidia 470 GTX). I'm mostly successful, but last night something got borked with the game and my GPU was stuck at 100% usage the whole session. Spiked the heat up to 81C! Started to chug quite a bit. It stayed like that till I restarted too. Exiting and restarting the mission didn't fix it.

My GPU reaches used to reach 81 some times so I reduced its clock and set temperature alarm at 75°C and also set the system to overheat protection. Its just that I was confused between those two temps. Also, I got it yesterday so naturally I'm gonna care about it.

Mine goes up to 88 when fully loaded when weather is hot. These things can take it to almost 100 and still work.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Mine goes up to 88 when fully loaded when weather is hot. These things can take it to almost 100 and still work.

My old GTX 280 used to simply die at 75C which it hit a lot due to bad cabling. Now I have a new case and what everyone agrees to be a much hotter running card but I'm still afraid to break that 70C barrier. heh

75oC ???

Nvidia gpu's dont slow down/throttle themselves til they hit 100 - 120oC if I recall correctly, so it shouldnt of died at 75oC.

Even at 100oC all that would of happened is the card would of underclocked itself which would then reduce the temps until it got below the safe temp margin and then it would of went back up to stock clocks.

The only reason I can see that happening is if the heatsink to it wasnt put on correctly, but on the whole nvidia cards dont throttle themselves to protect from overheating til atleast 100oC, what it could of been was maybe the memory chips on the card were overheating since they just have passive heatsinks on them, so maybe the ram chips were overheatign and causing your problem ?

Usually it's overheating of the memory on the card that causes it to crash, rather than the GPU getting too hot.

Long story short: temps are irrelevant. You just want to keep it as cool as possible. If you're suffering instability due to overheating, it's time to upgrade your cooling.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS A-10C: putting the 'art' into 'warthog'.

(yes, corny. Sorry.)