water appearing to be below water level

Kerberos

Hi there i'm new to the forum and having a lot of fun playing DCS Warthog but theres a little graphical glitch i noticed(nothing big but anyway):

I noticed that in some rivers/lakes the water appears to be below water level. for example at the large lake near krasnodar-Pashkovsky: if fly over the water near the terrain in f11 view it looks like the water goes under the terrain. its hard to explain and on a screenshot it looks normal but in motion it looks weird.

I noticed this in FC2 aswell. i searched the forum and found this thread about it but I think that people just didn't get his point:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=60167

i mean i understand that the water consits of only 2 polygon for the whole map but on the coast to the sea it looks fine only on some river/lakes the shader makes the water to look like its 50m under the terrain and likes theres nothing in between.

if you shoot into theses lakes the impacts appear to be above the water (where the water should be) and also if you fly above these lakes it looks like you can fly a little lower but you crash into the water before you expect it.

has anyone else noticed this?

• Like 1

This is a known issue. The water you are seeing is the base water that covers the whole map befor land is placed on top of it. This is one of the bad parts of the lomac and DCS sims that people complain about. You are rendering all that water even if you are not seeing it FPS killer. I cant tell you how many times I have hit the lakes water due to the look of the watter.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

Yes, the water-"level" at riverbanks can seem a bit odd, the altitude different between the bank and the river.

Currently this is how the water is implemented, I don't think it'll change.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

ok thanks for clearing things up.

but im still a little confused because there is river coming the large lake near krasnodar-Pashkovsky and i followed it and it had this issue. but at some point it became a smaller river with a different water shader (smaller waves etc) and after that point point the water looked just fine although the height of the terrain is the same. so there seems to be the option to implement different water shaders with different water heights. Or are the smaller rivers a totally differrent thing?

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to throw my .02 in here and say that I do notice the same thing even in the Final release of A-10c.

The texture of the water is displaying like 50m UNDER where the surface should be located. But I know it's phisically in the correct space because my bullets hit where it should be located. And the same with the shadow, it appears to be on the correct altitude.

Is there maybe a setting I can play with to fix this problem?

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

For the large lakes I believe this was addressed, other may have been missed. If you can provide a location please let us know.

Nate

So I read through a few threads in BlackShark and I now realize (I just wasn't grasping it before) why it appears the way it does. (Water is ALWAYS displayed as sea level and just collision is raised for the elevation of terrain.)

I was flying over a river where I noticed it next to the soft target waypoint of the weapons training mission.

I'm glad the major lakes have been fixed though but I'm assuming you're not going to be correcting rivers because they're on a slope?

Nate is there any future plans of changing how the water is rendered/displayed to deal with this issue in the future?

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

So I read through a few threads in BlackShark and I now realize (I just wasn't grasping it before) why it appears the way it does. (Water is ALWAYS displayed as sea level and just collision is raised for the elevation of terrain.)

I was flying over a river where I noticed it next to the soft target waypoint of the weapons training mission.

I'm glad the major lakes have been fixed though but I'm assuming you're not going to be correcting rivers because they're on a slope?

Nate is there any future plans of changing how the water is rendered/displayed to deal with this issue in the future?

The Rivers in Warthog are very different to Black shark, where are you seeing the problem on the map?

Nate

The Rivers in Warthog are very different to Black shark, where are you seeing the problem on the map?

Nate

River.png

The red is where I noticed it. When I get home tonight I'll post a screen shot.

Thanks

P.S. How is it different?