Panels and knobs

pitbldr

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news?

Not much.... slowing making progress on the UFC's panels as work allows. I expect that come August I'll be back to a normal work schedule and have more free time.

I also had to spend some time building up my pit structure to verify that all the panels I've designed would work per my design. Everything's looking good so far. :D

• 4 months later...
Small update... anyone guess what these are?? :)

Just cut them out and need to find a good match on paint.

Did you ever find a way to "make these work"? I'm trying to think how I would mount switches under then. I'm thinking about retooling them and using lever/limit type switches underneath.

Edited by Gadroc
Fix auto spell correct .. I'm thinking about things not tinkling ;)

Did you ever find a way to "make these work"? I'm trying to think how I would mount switches under then. I'm tinkling about retooling them and using lever/limit type switches underneath.

Not yet. I put this to the side in favor of working other items that I saw as more neccessary - CDU, UFC, etc.

My last thought was to use micro-switches but I did not develop that very far.

• 1 month later...
Here's a few pics showing some of the prototype panels up for grabs. Sorry for my poor photography skills. :music_whistling:

Image number 3520 - Fuel panel (single .25" piece white acrylic)

3521 - Caution panel (single .25" piece white acrylic)

3522 - back of caution panel

3523 - IFF panel (single .125" white acrylic)

3525 - Aux lighting panel (two layers .125" acrylic, clear I think. One of first panels I painted then engraved, but I engraved too deep)

3526 - TACAN (single .25" white acrylic)

3527 - electrical power panel (again 2 .125" layers painted, but engraved too deep

3530 - CMSP (single .25" white acrylic)

3531 - back of CMSP

Actual .25 thicknesses vary a bit, but most are closer to .225".

Now a few other pics.

3507 is the *almost* final version of my MFCD.

3505 & 3506 - closeups.

3509 - oxygen regulator

3510 - closeup showing the "seam" on the two layer panels. I thought about sanding the edges, but that would add to the cost.

3511 & 3513 - comparison of a single layer and dual layer panel

3515 - comparison of two dual layer panels, one the left clear acrylic painted white, one the right white acrylic not painted, just engraved.

All the panels from 3520-3530 for up for sale at $10 each plus shipping. Also, the lighting control panel on the right in 3511 (single layer) and the one on the right in 3515 are up for grabs too.

Hi pitbldr,

your work is amazing.

where have you been lately ???

Hi pitbldr,

your work is amazing.

where have you been lately ???

Thanks! :D

I've been around, but have had little to no time to work on the pit or make any panels. I think I am about to turn a corner though and have a few more hours each week to work on projects. :thumbup:

Have you thought about doing each "strip" as a single unit? What I mean is instead of individual panels, doing one long panel. May be harder to get the initial set-up right so that everything comes out aligned correctly but once it's set-up it will crank out a complete set of panels in one shot. Seems the right two cockpit "strips" would be easy to do, i.e. CDU back to Comp and O2 Reg back to lights. Same with the outboard left cockpit rail.

attachment.php?attachmentid=49019&d=1300141607

As far as back lighting goes have you thought about putting in LED "pockets" that would be a counter sunk and stepped hole in the bottom plate and a through hole in the middle plate. If the "pockets" were 2-3" apart and located away the engraved lettering I think it would result in a nice diffused light without "blooming" around lettering.

Just my $0.02.

New to this whole thing and I can't believe how refined your stuff is. Looks awesome. Definitely interested in getting some of your panels.

Yes, I considered that and in that pic the "backplates" are one solid piece of thin plywood I used in testing the fit. The biggest issue with the strip idea is that it would be a little more involved if you had to troubleshoot/replace any parts. Instead of being able to just pull one panel, you'd have to pull the whole strip. That may work for some, but in my case, it's an ongoing project, so things are constantly changing it seems.

It would not be hard to do that and if anyone ever wanted that, I could easily make strips.

I have played around with several methods of backlighting and decided LED's are the way to go but I've still not nailed down the precise method I would use. But your suggestion is very close to what I am thinking I'll do. Gadroc also came up with a mighty nice solution on the CMSP panel he's offering. Once I am able to spend some dedicated time on all this again, I hope to work out how I'll do mine.:)

• 7 months later...
Hey Pitbldr, are you still selling panels? I pm'ed you earlier this week.

Hi, just saw that and replied. :)

I don't make it by the forums much these days. Hope that changes soon and I can resume work on my pit and panel making.