What is this manuever called??

''controlled barrel roll'' with this manuever when you in formation flying you can go from one wing to other wing to your leader.

noting special with this school manuever :)

p.s.

you have other perspective of this because camera is on leader plane and you can't see barrel roll like you know it :) if you look this from some tower with smoke on you will see classic barrel roll :)

S!

Looks like a barrel roll to me, you don't see the corkscrew, because the camera moves with the Jet.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

It is a barrel roll. Barrel rolls don't have to corkscrew. It's just a dished-out barrel roll.

Pull up gently, barrel roll inverted with minimal pitch input, pull down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Then you're doing it wrong. You're simply yanking on the stick, nothing more. Start an aileron roll at the top and put in just a little bit of pitch. No need to haul on the stick. These are precision maneuvers, not maximum-rip-off-your-head-and-make-it-part-of-the-canopy-violence maneuvers.

I've tried this manuever several times. I either stall or over-g. I can't seem to get the plane to start a rotation around an axis.
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

fly in formation on right side of leader , pull little up an give left angle with right ruder and fly over your leader to the left side.

trick in this that you must put some apply of commands to stay in formation all times. when you learn to fly good formation this will be come all alone.

Um ... I'm not sure how much more obvious I can make it ... ok ...

1. Pull stick towards yourself just a little so the plane begins to climb gently

2. Release stick to center

3. When you have reached the desired point where you want to start the roll, bank to begin the roll, and gently pull the stick towards yourself in addition to the bank, just a little.

4. Once half a roll is completed, and you are upside-down, release stick to center.

5. If the aircraft is not descending, pull the stick towards you gently and release to center.

6. Roll upright and pull pitch to level attitude.

And um ... give a shot at learning the basics of flying ... from the very start ;) You'll learn a lot of new and interesting things.

What do you mean by "start an aileron at the top?"

Please describe precisely how to do this. I will try it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another video with the same roll thing, maybe this helps.

( Btw, thanks for making some advertising for my videos :) )

This is just showing off!:) How about you create a video specifically for this barrel roll and show the stick movement in the cockpit. How do you do the roll slowly? That is bad-ass!

-M

1. Pull stick towards yourself just a little so the plane begins to climb gently

3. When you have reached the desired point where you want to start the roll, bank to begin the roll, and gently pull the stick towards yourself in addition to the bank, just a little.

4. Once half a roll is completed, and you are upside-down, release stick to center.

5. If the aircraft is not descending, pull the stick towards you gently and release to center.

And um ... give a shot at learning the basics of flying ... from the very start ;) You'll learn a lot of new and interesting things.

Thanks for this. I'll give it a shot

I know how to basically fly:

it's just that I haven't been able to pull this move off.

-M

Gently is the word. :thumbup:

To encourage the gently component I would recommend loosening the grip on the flight stick or try holding the stick with the fingers, thumb and base of the palm (where fingers join hand). This is much in the same way you would grip a golf club with your bottom hand. That way you should be able to excert more precise and subtle control of the flight stick. Does this make any sense. :huh:

• Like 1

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Gently is the word. :thumbup:

To encourage the gently component I would recommend loosening the grip on the flight stick or try holding the stick with the fingers, thumb and base of the palm (where fingers join hand). This is much in the same way you would grip a golf club with your bottom hand. That way you should be able to excert more precise and subtle control of the flight stick. Does this make any sense. :huh:

Yep. I think I was able to do it but it doesn't look anywhere near like the movie in the first post. The plane does a corkscrew, but I definitely can't do it that fast, and I cover a much greater distance than the vid in the first post. I just watched the tutorial Weapons Fighter School for Lock On and I can do it just like the Barrel Roll video - slow and long. This is the only way to not stall.

-M

A barrel roll isn't a combination of two other maneuvers - it is distinct. As far as control input goes, it is (usually) mostly aileron input with a little pitch input.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A barrel roll isn't a combination of two other maneuvers - it is distinct. As far as control input goes, it is (usually) mostly aileron input with a little pitch input.

I thought so as well but every on line definition says that it is a loop and a roll in one.

Barrel roll

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Barrel roll (disambiguation).

50px-Question_book-new.svg.png

This article needs additional citations for verification.

Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2008)[/url]

Barrel roll

A barrel roll is an aerial maneuver in which an airplane makes a complete rotation on its longitudinal axis while following a helical path, approximately maintaining its original direction. It is sometimes described as "a combination of a loop and a roll".The G-force is kept positive (but not constant) on the object throughout the maneuver, commonly between 2-3 G, and no less than 0.5 G.[1]

Edited by fitness88