Japans earth quake 20110311

mvsgas

now you understand why i suscribed to a 100% clean electricity provider . they say no there's no problem the chances that such scenario happens is infinitesimal , and when it happens each time we come close to apocalypse . i hope Japan recovers soon and most important solves the nuclear plant problem soon because Japan is a great nation .

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now you understand why i suscribed to a 100% clean electricity provider . they say no there's no problem the chances that such scenario happens is infinitesimal , and when it happens each time we come close to apocalypse . i hope Japan recovers soon and most important solves the nuclear plant problem soon because Japan is a great nation .

Compare how many were killed by Chernobyl with how many have been killed by Moose.

The figure is of course contested, but I've mostly seen 52 for Chernobyl. (There is however issues with integrating Thyroid cancer data, since the increased surveillance introduced artefacts into the statistics.) In 1986, 13 people were killed in automobile-moose accidents in Sweden alone. (Total traffick mortality was 844 persons.) 1986 to 1996 there were 118 people killed by Moose, 234 for the period 86-09.

It's not a doomsday scenario. It's definitely not nice and comfy, but don't knee-jerk into the apocalypse. There were statistical inferences made that said that it should cause ~4000 cancer cases (though that's morbidity, not mortality). For the same period in time (1986-2009), swedish moose caused severe injury to 1832 persons.

The point I'm making is that even the posterboy of apocalyptic nuclear accidents, Chernobyl, isn't that "bad" compared to something as mundane as swedish people driving their cars into moose. If you want to compare with something really apocalyptic, take the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami: 230 000 people dead. Or the Haiti earthquake: 316 000 dead. The big "problem" with the nuclear accidents isn't the death toll, the problem is the economic damage which can be substantial - and probably even more so in Japan considering how densely populated it is, increasing the amount of third parties affected.

Fortunately, it seems that it was only a steam explosion that blew out the outer building, not the actual reactor going up. The reactor itself (and it's shielding units and so on) is still, according to what I read a couple minutes ago, intact. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Edited by EtherealN
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Steam explosion. That building isn't the "money bits". What I'd really like more news about is the actual reactor enclosure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Steam explosion. That building isn't the "money bits". What I'd really like more news about is the actual reactor enclosure.

Here's the thing. Boiling water reactors are designed in such a way that some radiation is always present in the turbine steam.. as its a close loop its not a big deal. Is it still a closed loop after this explosion? I've just saw the vid so need more details.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Compare how many were killed by Chernobyl with how many have been killed by Moose.

The figure is of course contested, but I've mostly seen 52 for Chernobyl. (There is however issues with integrating Thyroid cancer data, since the increased surveillance introduced artefacts into the statistics.) In 1986, 13 people were killed in automobile-moose accidents in Sweden alone. (Total traffick mortality was 844 persons.) 1986 to 1996 there were 118 people killed by Moose, 234 for the period 86-09.

It's not a doomsday scenario. It's definitely not nice and comfy, but don't knee-jerk into the apocalypse. There were statistical inferences made that said that it should cause ~4000 cancer cases (though that's morbidity, not mortality). For the same period in time (1986-2009), swedish moose caused severe injury to 1832 persons.

The point I'm making is that even the posterboy of apocalyptic nuclear accidents, Chernobyl, isn't that "bad" compared to something as mundane as swedish people driving their cars into moose. If you want to compare with something really apocalyptic, take the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami: 230 000 people dead. Or the Haiti earthquake: 316 000 dead. The big "problem" with the nuclear accidents isn't the death toll, the problem is the economic damage which can be substantial - and probably even more so in Japan considering how densely populated it is, increasing the amount of third parties affected.

Fortunately, it seems that it was only a steam explosion that blew out the outer building, not the actual reactor going up. The reactor itself (and it's shielding units and so on) is still, according to what I read a couple minutes ago, intact. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Just leave the Moose alone. I know it can get lonely up in the hills, but its not right. Same with them Canadians. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

78503867.jpg

q19.jpg

75346373.jpg

90192518.jpg

24142293.jpg

30029736.jpg

42755886.jpg

36757088.jpg

38353348.jpg

16119783.jpg

q10.jpg

q11.jpg

q12is.jpg

q13cu.jpg

q14n.jpg

q15.jpg

q16.jpg

q17g.jpg

q18.jpg

q20.jpg

• Like 1

Asus Prime Z-370-A

Intel core I7-8700K 3.70Ghz

Ram g.skill f4-3200c16d 32gb

Evga rtx 2070

Ssd samgung 960 evo m.2 500gb

Syria, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944

Combined Arms

A-10C, Mirage-2000C, F-16C, FC3

Spitfire LF Mk. IX

UH-1H, Gazelle

Can somoene confirm the coincidental dates/graphs here for me? >> http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread473466/pg1

..or am i just imagining things.

Proceed down to the close up shot of the "event timeline 2011"... check the dates/months....and remember that this graph was out in 09' aprx b4..... woooooooooooo.

Off to tend my veggie patch now...(armed)....hehe

pics

Unbelievable..

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Sim/Game CV: Falcon 1,3,4. Gunship. A10 TankKiller. Fighter Bomber. Strike eagle 2&3. F19 Stealth Fighter. F117. Wings. F29 Retaliator. Jetfighter II. F16 Fighting Falcon. Strike Commander. F22 Raptor. F16MRF. ATF. EF2000. Longbow 1&2. TankKiller2 Silent Thunder. Hind. Apache Havoc. EECH. EAW. F22 ADF. TAW. Janes WW2,USAF,IAF,F15,F18. F18 Korea. F18 Super Hornet. B17 II. CFS 2. Flanker 2&2.5. BOB. Mig Alley. IL2. LOMAC. IL2FB. FC2. DCS:BS. DCS:A10C.

I dont think 1000 casualties is a realistic estimate, seen too many towns being hit with people still circulating on the roads let alone inside buildings and houses. :cry:

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I dont think 1000 casualties is a realistic estimate, seen too many towns being hit with people still circulating on the roads let alone inside buildings and houses. :cry:

Sure Pilo....but lets not give up hope for the survivers just yet.... or give below average results from the past printed....to those related.......I'm sure the toll will be enormus.......the chaos in those cities must be HUGE.....but those that may be reading this that are involved......May the all mighty be with you and them......Looks like it peaks towards end of month.......Then the incidents die down

REFERING TO: Those graphs >> http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread473466/pg1

Can somoene confirm the coincidental dates/graphs here for me? >> http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread473466/pg1

..or am i just imagining things.

Proceed down to the close up shot of the "event timeline 2011"... check the dates/months....and remember that this graph was out in 09' aprx b4..... woooooooooooo.

Off to tend my veggie patch now...(armed)....hehe

Oh god...

Seriously, just... No. 2012 crap in this thread. Please.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

maybe the mooses were irradiated one never knows

@ Antartis "nice" images , image #19 is :shocking:

No not residual. The various isotopes and by products still produce heat through fission. The main show (ie the uranium fission) is mostly stopped, but the myriad of other daughter isotopes and their associate reactions can continue at varying rates.

Reactors are extremely complex. And as they 'burn' through their uranium fuel they get even more complex. Maybe a dozen or more of various elements and isotopes are produced, and because of this the reactors characteristics change over the fuel cycle. Moderating neutrons to stop one reaction might have a side effect of increasing the radiative decay (and heat) of another. And it all depends on the stage at which a reactor is at. Like women, they get complicated after time. lol :D

I remember years ago reading about some laid up Russian nuclear subs that nearly went ciritcal because someone didn't pay the power bill. And they were tied up for months or more on the pier and reactors were "off". You can't 100% turn them off. ;) Diff. design of reactor though, but the principle is similar.

Anyway, if there's anyone that can fix this up, the Japanese can. Here's hoping. S!

Thanks for more info! This is very grim now though, with a hydrogen-oxygen explosion.... sounds like the reactor is still OK, but this can't be good for nuclear power as a whole.

So what you are saying it is the decay of short half-life byproducts of nuclear fission that is keeping the reactor hot? Or are you saying there some other fissile isotopes (isotopes and elements, or too many to list?) the control rods can't stop?

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Ethereal,

A more relavent comparison is just to compare the number of people killed by nuclear power to the number of people killed by mining coal. Probably something like 10,000 people, if not more, killed by coal mining worldwide over the past 50 years.

Better yet, divide the number of people killed by mining coal to the number of people killed by nuclear power, in the US. You get infinity :)

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Thanks for more info! This is very grim now though, with a hydrogen-oxygen explosion.... sounds like the reactor is still OK, but this can't be good for nuclear power as a whole.

So what you are saying it is the decay of short half-life byproducts of nuclear fission that is keeping the reactor hot? Or are you saying there some other fissile isotopes (isotopes and elements, or too many to list?) the control rods can't stop?

Some of the products have short half life's, others don't. One of the isotopes of Nitrogen has a half life of a few seconds for example. That would be present in the turbine steam. Another isotope that is now known to be in the venting gas is Ceasium. Most likely Ceasium-137, which has a half life of ~30 years. This is really bad stuff and because it now is in the vented gas it means that the water level has dropped below the level of the control rods which would allow the Ceasium to escape into the steam. Seems to me that a least a partial meltdown is underway.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_51652784_011510259-1.jpg

They're evacuating the area now. This is no good.

the mess is out there , now it's about to know if they'll manage to control the temperature inside the plant , and if they can't , well i prefer not to think about it . but the lack of information about the disaster is strange . it's hard to believe that with such a huge explosion only the external structure has been hit . other reactors of the plant are critical too