Flight AI management

echonovember2

Are the Dev's working on tweaking the wingman AI to a point where they can be micromanaged even more? I regularly lurk here on the forums to soak up as much info as I can to enhance my knowledge, and when I watched Wag's video on using flight management to take out enemy air defenses before making a move to take out armor and such, it didn't really help on a mission "in the weeds" where there are SAM sites sprinkled all over the AO. The mission gives the advice to use the hills to mask your approach, but the AI doesn't really take the advice. When I would have him anchor behind he would immediately shoot up to around 7,000 and fly a pattern for about 30 seconds until ten SAM's blow him out of the sky.

I hope to see some sort of implementation where you can order your flight elements stay below a certain altitude and tighten up the circumference of the anchor point they fly. I absolutely love this sim, but I wanted to throw a couple of ideas out there that I think could make this sim even better.

OH! and another thing. If I'm RTB with a busted up Hog, I think there should be a request to ATC for emergency landing. I think Falcon had something to that effect. When I'm RTB with a vertical stabilizer missing, the last thing I'm in the mood to do is fly a traffic pattern before landing is authorized...Okay done whining. Sorry.

Hi,

In GAME mode I can get wingman to do various things like get the radars and SAM sites, maybe he will live long enough, maybe not. I agree, he goes into battle areas too high.

In full SIM mode, he doesn't listen to me until after I am dead or floating down in my chute, then he follows orders as to military ops.

But I'm still a newbie, so maybe I am missing something.

Does this game allow implementation of more than one wingman to tag along; like bringing along another flight element and taking orders?

Erich

Are the Dev's working on tweaking the wingman AI to a point where they can be micromanaged even more? I regularly lurk here on the forums to soak up as much info as I can to enhance my knowledge, and when I watched Wag's video on using flight management to take out enemy air defenses before making a move to take out armor and such, it didn't really help on a mission "in the weeds" where there are SAM sites sprinkled all over the AO. The mission gives the advice to use the hills to mask your approach, but the AI doesn't really take the advice. When I would have him anchor behind he would immediately shoot up to around 7,000 and fly a pattern for about 30 seconds until ten SAM's blow him out of the sky.

I hope to see some sort of implementation where you can order your flight elements stay below a certain altitude and tighten up the circumference of the anchor point they fly. I absolutely love this sim, but I wanted to throw a couple of ideas out there that I think could make this sim even better.

OH! and another thing. If I'm RTB with a busted up Hog, I think there should be a request to ATC for emergency landing. I think Falcon had something to that effect. When I'm RTB with a vertical stabilizer missing, the last thing I'm in the mood to do is fly a traffic pattern before landing is authorized...Okay done whining. Sorry.

I agree. In black shark I was having problems on the last mission of the Deployment campaign. My wingman just flew in high and got himself taken out immediately rather than staying in the hills. Also even after I gave him the datalink target he tried to destroy all threats first. Ran out of missiles and went in and got taken out.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

currenrly the only thing the ai is good at is to anchor at ip and stay there circling.

ive alreadt got my wingy killed by a t72 that id ordered him to engage, even after the area was clean of air defenses!

good ai is sci fi, otherwise there wouldnt be pilots not even flying uavs. ed, pls give us the ability to fine tune our ai orders. the in weeds example is prime!

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

No micro management. I want them to be good without micromanagement. They are pilots and they are train to kill tanks and AA. They have to make the AI cheat a little so it will look realistic and not be obvious to the player.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

No micro management. I want them to be good without micromanagement. They are pilots and they are train to kill tanks and AA. They have to make the AI cheat a little so it will look realistic and not be obvious to the player.

Am I being dumb? Not quite sure what you mean.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

No micro management. I want them to be good without micromanagement.

Ehhh okay... I'll take that too I suppose, but I thought it may be asking too much. I figured that's what flying with online buddy's is for.

I just want a few extra commands to help manage flight a little better.

Perhaps He saying that he wans the AI flight like a real pilot will do, but the part of the cheating it looses me...

Care to elaborate connos????

La guerra, asi como es madrastra de los cobardes, es madre de los valientes.

Cervantes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I mean is programing cheat. For example your wingman to be some how better than the player like the bots in CS on highest skills.

An example of what put me off playing missions in Black Shark after latest patch that ruin the AI completely. Attacking in hard terrain and sending my targets with datalink to my wingman I order him to attack. He, from his position, cant see the target and he overfly the target area and they shoot him down. If the game here cheats a little for your wingman to calculate and find the best location to attack from distance the player would never know that and wingman stays alive.

Why micromanagement everything if you are playing a sim. My opinion though. Attack with Mavericks, AA, at my SPI should make the wingman not to want to overfly the SPI as its obvious I gave him AA targets.

Edited by connos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940@3.5GHz, ATI 6870 1GB, Windows 7 64bit, Kingstone HyperX 4GB, 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB, Asus Xonar DX Sound Card, Saitek X52 PRO, TrackIR 44: Pro.

Well in real life, you mark the target from out, and the wingmen bomb them or vice versa, Also if you send the data using the data link the wingman doesn't have to see the target he only have to shot using the computer so

1+ for that, thought it most be an other way to do so.I mean make the AI more intelligent (redundant but true):D

Edited by Shinigami

La guerra, asi como es madrastra de los cobardes, es madre de los valientes.

Cervantes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1 for flight AI management.

Let me copy-paste from another thread:

AI is the biggest problem in otherwise great sim. It often ruins my mission. I think at least 50% of wingman problems would be solved by adding ability to order wingman to stay above 5000/10000/15000/20000 feet. It shouldn't be too hard to implement (I hope).

i7 920@4.0Ghz, 12 GB RAM, ATI 4890, LG L246WHX@1920x1200, Saitek X52 Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder pedals, TrackIR4, Audigy 2ZS, Logitech G9x, Vista 64bit.

+1 for flight AI management.

Let me copy-paste from another thread:

AI is the biggest problem in otherwise great sim. It often ruins my mission. I think at least 50% of wingman problems would be solved by adding ability to order wingman to stay above 5000/10000/15000/20000 feet. It shouldn't be too hard to implement (I hope).

I agree with that.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

I think the simplest method of gaining a lot of control over AI wingman would be some sort of "engage from formation" logic. The idea being that specifying altitude, speed, distance, etc. constitutes a lot of settings to pass to the AI.

If the AI could be told simply to "Shoot target_X but don't leave formation!" then you could fly what you wanted the wingman to do in terms of direction, altitude, etc and he would fire the weapon while bolted to your side.

currenrly the only thing the ai is good at is to anchor at ip and stay there circling.

ive alreadt got my wingy killed by a t72 that id ordered him to engage, even after the area was clean of air defenses!

good ai is sci fi, otherwise there wouldnt be pilots not even flying uavs. ed, pls give us the ability to fine tune our ai orders. the in weeds example is prime!

I read a biography of Nikola Tesla. He had the whole idea of a radio controlled air force somewhere around 1920. It took the engineering community 80 years to figure out the specifics of it all.

So with our USA Space Shuttle fleet retired, how are the military guys servicing the military satellites? Somehow I do not think China or Russia are doing it. LOL!

Yes, it would be fun to be more proactive controlling the AI in Missions and Campaigns.

In full sim mode, my flight of 3 wingies will follow orders after I am dead or in the silk floating down. If I tell them to engage early into the mission. While I am in my chute, they RTB back to the point I ordered them into battle, then they turn around and engage. Sometimes they complete their mission or run out of ords, RTB, land and park their planes.

Half the fun of this game is watching the various AI do their stuff and watch missles and bombs go after their target.

I will give orders, fly very high, eject, and then watch my AI guys, me using the various F-keys. Also is good being my own forward observer checking out where the targets are floating down in my chute. Anyway, my experience, so far.

As to bailing out too high, the ejection seat seems not to allow being above 12,000 feet or so. I have deliberately turned the oxygen off at 15,000 feet and have suffered no ill effects in cockpit, yet.

Erich

:pilotfly: