Plane veers to the right...

MerlinCH65

Thanks - but it's strange that this happens when you take the training mission "Take Off" where they do not tell you this. You think it's even then? Because if it is also experienced during this checkride, then there you go. Then it probably the trim!

heh... although I cant say for sure, it's possible , since there has been many changes in the weather systems between patches, that this has been introduced by a patch.

Its possible that when the training mission was first created, there was no such forces in action.

The Sim is still evolving, and new things (with unforeseen consequences!) are beeing added with each patch.

Good luck with it though, it's an amazing sim

No need for sarcasm Nikola - I know what trim is. Maybe I should have mentioned that in my case, the plane was dramatically veering to the right strait from taking of.

Also - trimming in FSX is mostly used to control pitch - not that much for roll. But thanks for the comment anyway.

Merlin

There's a known bug with low level turbulence that may partially or fully explain exaggerated movement on takeoff. There are also legitimate forces that could be responsive: asymmetric aero or weight, crosswind, gyroscopic forces.

I did notice that post Beta4 the aircraft got noticeably more wild and lively. It could be more like real life, could be less. I know one of the latest (if not the latest) patch added in variable runway friction condition.

I noticed this tendency is diminished but not absent from a loadout of 2 Mavs on either side (no AIM-9 or ALQ) so partially it's due to asymmetry of load.

The plane is supposed to and probably always will veer to the right if you're not trimmed up. I believe it's the movement of the fans in the 2 massive engines that cause this. They spin to the right, thus your plane goes right, and you have to counter this by trimming the aircraft quite a bit.

Every time I take off, I always have to kick in major trim right and nose up. The Hog naturally wants to nose down and veer to the right, so we have to counter it.

Also, depending on how you have your ordinance set up, may depend the way your plane leans, ie if you have a 2000 pound beast on your left wing and just messily rocks on the right wing, you're going to of course lean left. But even if you take a naked plane, you'll notice that always lean to the right.

Every Saitek flightstick I've ever owned required it to be re-calibrated after every restart of the computer. One can calibrate it right in the game by just sitting on the ramp and moving all of the axises to their full extent before taking off.

Every Saitek flightstick I've ever owned required it to be re-calibrated after every restart of the computer. One can calibrate it right in the game by just sitting on the ramp and moving all of the axises to their full extent before taking off.

I can second this one, for the longest time I thought that I just needed to use trim to compensate, then I checked the calibration of my stick (hotas warthog). It was way off!

Trim is key but so is a well calibrated stick, in my case bad calibration was throwing things off more than asymmetrical load outs

Edited by SmokeyTheLung

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

The plane is supposed to and probably always will veer to the right if you're not trimmed up. I believe it's the movement of the fans in the 2 massive engines that cause this. They spin to the right, thus your plane goes right, and you have to counter this by trimming the aircraft quite a bit.

[not trying to put you down!] Jet engines don't produce noteworthy turning tendencies (as long as both are running at similar power output! :), unlike when I'm flying in the SIM and one engine is shot to pieces usually).

Turns out the reason single-engine prop planes (and multi-engine prop planes where the props BOTH rotate in the same direction) do have turning tendencies do to the rotating mass of the propellers (Newton's 3rd Law, every action has an equal and opposite reaction). Look at the FAA's Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Ch.4, p. 4-26. (download here: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/). This explains it pretty well and concisely.

With jet engines there's a little bit more going on and "popping the hood" helps to see why jet engines don't cause turning tendencies.

Take a look at the drawings in Chapter 15 of the FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook located here to see some drawings of jet engines:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/

You can see there are many stages of compressor vanes and stator vanes and many stages of turbine vanes. Plus, in the A-10, which uses turbofans, there is a bypass of air that flows around the core of the engine, avoiding the combustion chamber completely. I suppose you could make an arguement that the fan in a turbofan produces some left turning tendencies, but you'll have a tough time of it. :) Even so, if the fans BOTH spin to the right, Newton's 3rd law says we should have a left-turning tendency.

I think the answer to why the SIM pulls to the right is due to a turbulence modelling bug (known), crosswind effect (though most people seem to be repeatedly complaining of a right-hand drift, rarely left), and the most likely IMO asymetrical loadout.

The reason I stipulate that the asymmetrical loadout is the primary cause of most of the right-hand drift complaints is due to the fact that a majority of the standard loadouts always put the ECM pod on one wing and the TGP / AIM-9's on the other, which are all way out on the furthest hardpoints from the center of the aircraft (i.e. larger moment arm, greater effect on asymmetrical drag). Plus, hey! the game may have a bug or be over-biasing the asymmetry.

Cheers!

"Snipe"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OS => Win7 64-bit Ultimate | MOBO => ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe | RAM => 8GB | VIDEO CARD => XFX ATI 4850 | CONTROLLER => Saitek X52 | DISPLAY => ASUS 25.5" 1600x1280 | HDD => 150GB WD Raptor (10K RPM)

Well, there goes my theory!

LOL! No worries though! I get corrected a lot here as there are people of all backgrounds. I say, keep puttin your theories out there and if people correct you, well heck! We all learn something!

Cheers again!

PS Take a look through the different threads, there are lots of threads / posts on the right drift. Unfortunately, no real solution, though I notice it's gone w/ no external stores; gun only.

/me wondering if perhaps the default wind that most missions use is from the right...?

"Snipe"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OS => Win7 64-bit Ultimate | MOBO => ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe | RAM => 8GB | VIDEO CARD => XFX ATI 4850 | CONTROLLER => Saitek X52 | DISPLAY => ASUS 25.5" 1600x1280 | HDD => 150GB WD Raptor (10K RPM)

Guys - you really really helped me a lot!! Thanks a lot.

I did not consider:

a) To "calibrate" the stick prior starting (moving all axis to full extend)

b) The T/O Button to be pushed (since I do not start cold&dark)

Thanks again - will try this!

Cheers!

Merlin

Hi Folks,

Just as an update to this, my good mate StrongHam has mentioned in another thread that this is, infact, most likely a result of asymmetrical loadout which will cause the roll, it is expected and can be cancelled out by Trim.

Thanks SH!