What is "present position area" in position /cdu

MP = a MGRS square identifier within the larger UTM grid identifier. A UTM grid, which is a retangular-ish square of the earth's surface, is broken down into 100kmX100km squares within the MGRS system. Each square has a two-letter identifier. The easting and northing are the coordinates, from the south-west corner (the "origin", so to speak), in meters.

21500 = 21,500 meters east of the origin of the square (SW corner)

04800 = 4,800 meters north of hte origin of the square (SW corner)

The UTM grid identifier is often omitted because grids are very large. There are only two UTM grids on the entire Black Sea/Caucusses map, 37T and 38T.

A full MGRS grid would be given such as

38T KM3845039860

That's a 10 digit grid. Any even number of digits less than or equal to 10 can be given though, such as

38T KM3840

which is a four digit grid, taken to mean:

38T KM 38000 40000

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

It's the grid you are in. MP is just east of Nal'Chik...

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

Yes- download the TC-1 map from the Downloads | Documentation section on the DCS home page.

Zenra

Intel i7 930 2.8GHz; ATI HD5850 1GB; 1TB Serial ATA-II; 12GB DDR3-1333; 24 x DL DVD+/-RW Drive; 800W PSU; Win7-64; TM Warthog HOTAS

OK thanks. I can see the utm grid that I am in, but just a small correction, not every utm grid is 100km x 100km. For some reason there are utm grids that are different sizes (eastings are somewhat variable, being 40000m , 60,000m and 100,000m,

Northings are pretty uniform from what I can see , they are all 100,000m

Not sure why its not unifor but im sure theres a reason.

Thanks for the replies guys , one more hurdle out of the way.

Earth is a sphere (nearly anyway :)

Hmm yeh that makes sense. They couldnt cut the grids perfectly because earths shape is not perfect.

One other questions, I have a D5/B1 top right corner of position info. I have been trying to figure out what this means and no luck. Any idea?

Edited by bloomstomb

Hmm yeh that makes sense. They couldnt cut the grids perfectly because earths shape is not perfect.

One other questions, I have a D5/B1 top left corner of position info. I have been trying to figure out what this means and no luck. Any idea?

I think that refers to the "Figure of Merit"

Figure of Merit or FOM referres to the accuracy of the system in question. It is a numerical value assigned to show the pilot the level of accuracy of the system.

FOM's can be seen for the DTS, EGI, and GPS systems.

Do a search of the Flight Manual for "Figure of Merit" for more information.

Edited by WarriorX

Yup I did a search on FOM earlier. The guide is very vague on what FOM really means. So , what does the d5/b1 in the top right corner mean exactly? If FOM simply means the scale of accuracy, how accurate is d5/b1 on this scale?

Also , my undertanding is that FOM scale is from 1-9, so I have my doubts that this d5/b1 could indeed be FOM.

Checking out this thread on the subject atm

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=71637&highlight=fom

Edited by bloomstomb

Do a search again...look at page 173, and 184 of the Flight Manual, it will give some more details.

Specifically EGI, GPS, and EGI Blended FOM

The D is for the DTS FOM, the B is for the EGI in Blended mode.