Too Dumb to Fly - Film

Way too fast. That's some sort of emergency landing (you're on fire, you need the airflow as long a spossible to keep cooling the parts surrounding the fire) or out of fuel and you messed up the aproach and there's no going around, or you have specific types of landing gear malfunction.

Typical LANDING speed is 110KTS for a 30000lbs aircraft to about 160kts for a /really/ heavy aircraft (ie. took off fully bloated, turned right around and had to land - typically 50000lbs or more. Getting rid of all external stores is advised).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Great Vid! Laughed the entire way through.. lol

It appeared you were starting to learn a few things throughout the vid..good on ya! :)

I've flown FSX for about a year now and I can honestly say the DCS A10 is probably the most indepth sim I've come across to date.

Going through and reading the 600+ page manual is a no go for me as we well, but is invaluable as a reference and has really helped me in areas I just couldn't get around in some of the in game tutorials.

I was going to suggest the Saitek X-65, but, you've already got the TM Warthog.. Congrats!

Cheers,

Brandon

Great Vid! Laughed the entire way through.. lol

It appeared you were starting to learn a few things throughout the vid..good on ya! :)

I've flown FSX for about a year now and I can honestly say the DCS A10 is probably the most indepth sim I've come across to date.

Going through and reading the 600+ page manual is a no go for me as we well, but is invaluable as a reference and has really helped me in areas I just couldn't get around in some of the in game tutorials.

I was going to suggest the Saitek X-65, but, you've already got the TM Warthog.. Congrats!

Cheers,

Brandon

I never said I had a TM Warthog. Those things are expensive!

I played multiplayer with someone off of this forums. I've managed to shoot down one SAM and then so I swooped down to use the 30mm on the rest of the target. They shot at me with AA fire which caused me to lose control of my A-10C. I was killed so I could no longer move. My plane crashed and killed one enemy soldier. Isn't that nuts?!

I bought this game recently and I felt compelled to make a short film about it.

NYC is probably eyeballing you now.. :P

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

newb question: how do you get the camera to snap to the MFCDs straight on? I've looked over the keybindings and couldnt see it (im sure i missed it). I spend a relatively long time panning and zooming in on MFCDs mid flight and i kind of lose track of my surroundings.

newb question: how do you get the camera to snap to the MFCDs straight on? I've looked over the keybindings and couldnt see it (im sure i missed it). I spend a relatively long time panning and zooming in on MFCDs mid flight and i kind of lose track of my surroundings.

Hold numpad 0 and number 4 (or number 6) I think.

Honestly, I don't do any of that math mumbo jumbo. I just eyeball it, hahaha. I'll read the manual someday.

Generally speaking there's no real need for maths if you just want to "have fun". Once gears are down you'll have a three-light indicator on the left frame of the HUD. This -technically- shows AoA, and with the yellow "donut" you'll know you have the right AoA - but since AoA and speed gets linked, you can sort of use it as a "correct airspeed indicator". If it's lighting up below the donut, you are too fast. If it lights up above it, you're too slow (and should do something about it IMMEDIATELY and absolutely not initiate any turns).

Now, this isn't technically speaking the right way to view the instrument, but it might help you until such time as you decide to open the manual. :D

(The actual use for landing is to slow down to below 200 knots (I usually do ~180), deploy gear and flaps, then trim the plane until I get the "donut" which will establish me at the correct speed whatever it is, and then I adjust my sink rate with the throttle.)

I don't have anything that fully illustrates it, but here's a landing scenario and you can see the speeds I used there:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Generally speaking there's no real need for maths if you just want to "have fun". Once gears are down you'll have a three-light indicator on the left frame of the HUD. This -technically- shows AoA, and with the yellow "donut" you'll know you have the right AoA - but since AoA and speed gets linked, you can sort of use it as a "correct airspeed indicator". If it's lighting up below the donut, you are too fast. If it lights up above it, you're too slow (and should do something about it IMMEDIATELY and absolutely not initiate any turns).

Now, this isn't technically speaking the right way to view the instrument, but it might help you until such time as you decide to open the manual. :D

(The actual use for landing is to slow down to below 200 knots (I usually do ~180), deploy gear and flaps, then trim the plane until I get the "donut" which will establish me at the correct speed whatever it is, and then I adjust my sink rate with the throttle.)

I don't have anything that fully illustrates it, but here's a landing scenario and you can see the speeds I used there:

I was playing with my online buddy. I landed and tore off the rubber on my front gear. I'll get the hang of it eventually....

How do you repair your plane on the ground?

Get to a full stop and turn off the plane. Then wait roughly 3 minutes (clock starting when engines are entirely spooled down).

Note that this only works on friendly airfields, so either the field you started on or a field that has friendly ground units on it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Get to a full stop and turn off the plane. Then wait roughly 3 minutes (clock starting when engines are entirely spooled down).

Note that this only works on friendly airfields, so either the field you started on or a field that has friendly ground units on it.

Can you do that on the runway? (dangerous)

You probably can but you'll cause problems for others (in MP, at least, assuming you don't care about SP traffic).

You don't need to turn off the plane, just your engines - so fire up the APU and its generator, shut off the engines and that way you don't need to run the entire startup again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yeah, sorry, I shouldn't post before having my morning coffee. :P

I meant to say engines, not plane. >.<

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...