Flying IFR: Need help on ADF use

BaD CrC

Yes! Once you go zero-zero visibility it gets very tough.

I think we just have to watch for the needle swing as it hits the cone of confusion as we fly over the beacon.

before takeoff, I go to manual DH-DTA and set the indicator to the runway heading (or I do it from the aerodrome pdf document that gives info if I am enroute). I then match up the RMI and indicator to help keep lined up with the runway.

I am going to try rehearsing a timed approach when there is an inner marker. I'll hit the stopwatch as the inner beacon flips and fly at a standard speed to note how long it takes. Finding that runway without the ABRIS can be tough!

I made a mission with low level fog, took off from Krasnodar in clear weather and ran into pea soup for landing at Anapa. It was quite cool.

Edited by JG14_Smil

Aha! I finally figured it out last night!

I'm using Devrim's upgraded HD pit, and I spent half an hour flipping the stupid ARK rotary before I realized that the little white dot on the rotary is on the wrong side.

*facepalm*

I don't know if it's correct in the standard pit, but in the Devrim one the white dot is painted on the side of the rotary opposite the active number. I'll contact him about it.

That being said, once I figured that out, the thing worked great!

Is there any way to pick up on the marker tones in the Shark? I know you hear them in FC3, but I'm not aware of how to do this on the Ka-50.

you are my hero... thats it... thx

Holy cow check this! ADF heading with a darned decent landing at the end!

I headed straight for Krymsk's outer NDB. When I flew over, I did a right-hand turn, came to a near-hover, and then strafed laterally until the outer NDB and runway heading were aligned.

I headed forward, and switched to the inner NDB. Distance from inner NDB to EOR is 1300m, so I put her in a 40km/h descent and started the 2min timer when I passed over the NDB. At 2min, I figured I should be over the runway. I descended, saw dirt, moved laterally to bring the beacon back in line with the runway marker and found pavement!

Track and tacview attached =)

Thoughts? I'm not a pilot IRL...

ADF Landing.zip

Edited by seikdel

to bring the beacon back in line with the runway marker and found pavement!

[ATTACH]76089[/ATTACH]

what do you mean with that? i know what its about with the outer marker... but the usage of the inner marker is still a secret to me...

Aha! I finally figured it out last night!

I'm using Devrim's upgraded HD pit, and I spent half an hour flipping the stupid ARK rotary before I realized that the little white dot on the rotary is on the wrong side.

I don't know if it's correct in the standard pit, but in the Devrim one the white dot is painted on the side of the rotary opposite the active number. I'll contact him about it...

you are my hero... thats it... thx

So sorry guys. :music_whistling: As I've wrote in mod's thread, that white dot actually placed on the center. But unfortunately we see it like on the other side. I fixed it and uploaded.

Really thanks for the feedback!. :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Thanks much!

Edit:

what do you mean with that? i know what its about with the outer marker... but the usage of the inner marker is still a secret to me...

My understanding is that not every runway has an outer and inner NDB; some have just an outer.

When you're approaching a runway with both, you can use the outer-inner switch (RALT =) to switch between them. Note that the automatic mode on that switch isn't used; I believe it just looks at the outer.

The inner, as far as I can tell from the ME, is always 1300m from EOR. You can use the outer and inner to make sure you're lined up with the runway.

Does that help at all?

Edited by seikdel

Thanks much!

Edit:

My understanding is that not every runway has an outer and inner; some have just an outer.

When you're approaching a runway with both, you can use the outer-inner switch (RALT =) to switch between them. Note that the automatic mode on that switch isn't used; I believe it just looks at the outer.

The inner, as far as I can tell from the ME, is always 1300m from EOR. You can use the outer and inner to make sure you're lined up with the runway.

Does that help at all?

Thx for trying... but sorry no... i read that the inner beacon is a marker that sends a signal upwards which doesn help to guide to it from the distance. It simply shall show the pilot if he´s on track or if his flight path is deviating from the runways direction... my question is, how this inner ndb, or as i heard the inner marker will help me to find the runway in zero-sight-conditions...

maybe the the beeping signal gets louder when i pass it directly from above... or the ekran says: "you´re the best pilot ever" or the rmi turns in circles... or gold rains from the sky and the angles start to sing ;-)... i know how to use the outer beacon... so i need an explantion that tells me how i can use the marker with my on board-systems to perform a 100% perfect touchdown:pilotfly:

Ah, thank you. My bad, I meant NDB, not marker. I've fixed my last 2 posts.

Apparently they both function as NDBs because the ADF can find both of them and point to them. I use them as I described in my post: to line up with the runway.

When approaching, I timed myself when I passed the inner NDB so that I knew roughly when I was over the runway. Then I descended, corrected laterally and landed.

And it wasn't 100% perfect in my case. Maybe it could be with more practice, but I'm a hobbyist only =(

• 3 months later...

Seems like ARK.lua has been moved and maybe synthax changed with 1.2.4. Cannot package the ARK.lua in the miz file like before or I'll get a blank reminder in the cockpit.

Saw that there's a default ARK.lua file now packaged in the .miz file under mods/... but as soon as I edit it (want to have Kutaisi apt frequency), got a blank reminder again.

Some help?Thanks.

I must agree with USMC_Trev, mixing markers with an RMI is a remarkable fail for a licensed guy.:music_whistling:;)

But please no hard feelings, this is not about playing the smart arse, the confusion around many people across this board concerning avionics and radio navigation is too serious to not use every chance to clear things up for everyone. Nothing personal.:thumbup:

Not that I want to be the guy who comes in and reminds everyone that this is a video game...but...

It really isn't the case that it would be a "fail" for someone with that certificate to not understand the finer points of runway markers. The private pilot curriculum in the USA asks for basic radio navigation, usually using VORs. The number of non-instrument-rated private pilots is significantly higher than instrument rated ones. They are decommissioning NDBs and many people never get a chance to use one. When I did my instrument training most (but not all) of my ADF approaches were flown with a sim, since finding an aircraft with a functioning ADF in my neck of the woods is getting harder and harder.

When I started flying there was no such thing as a GPS/LPV approach. When I got back into it, everyone was using GPS. I would expect a newly minted private pilot to get even less exposure to radio navigation than a decade ago. It's only when you go for the instrument rating that you have to learn this stuff.

I'm an instrument rated pilot, but I don't claim to be Chuck Yeager or an FAA system check pilot or anything like that.

Same here and I agree...it doesn't take having a certificate to help people find info. In this case the FAA instrument flying handbook is helpful, even though we're all gaming here.

Edited by Headspace

Headspace: so now we can't even do this because of realism? Please stop. Just let us enjoy our sim.

Headspace #2: Please don't mind me.. I have had no sleep in three days. Salute for all you work with TARS and sound files!

If we are counting on me we are in trouble. It is the smart guys that will help us if it can be done. I am just going through some trouble shooting items:

I can edit C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Ka-50\Cockpit\Scripts\ARK\ark.lua and it will show the changes. I can edit C:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Terrain\beacons.lua and it shows those changes. I tried entering Kutaisi and the lines went blank on the Ka-50 ARK-22 channel placard.

I'll look into the miz file packaging after some fresh air.

Edited by JG14_Smil
W.I.P.

One thing I note about 1.2.4 is my helo shows up exactly on taxi ways and runways, where there was some position error in 1.2.3. Not sure if this caused by the update or my clean install from 1.2.3. If work was done to fix that problem, it may have caused the ARK lua problem we see here (and maybe the GNSS CALC feature loss).

I think our packaged ark.lua in miz files is still read, but there is a syntax error that makes the ARK-22 channel placard go blank on either the ARK.lua or beacons.lua files. We might be able to fix this on a local level by editing the affected files, but even with backup, the next update could make all the work a moot point.

I hope I can find a 1.2.3 version and start comparing the two files.

OK> I found a 1.2.3 version of beacons.lua, added the missing lines for the Kutaisi runway beacon to 1.2.4 beacons.lua and it worked. Placard shows Kutaisi and ARK-22 needle points to it.

This is fixable on a local level for those that want to use ARK-22 navigation. I have 5 days off and will get to it. Will offer the file here when ready.

Edited by JG14_Smil

Have confirmed my Kutaisi fix with a custom mission. It all still works. Editing the beacons.lua will bring us back to usable NDB navigation.

I will also edit the beacons lua so that the NDB beacons will be listed by their frequency as shown on all the maps used by the Ka-50, as opposed to the Russian names that are listed. Will offer both versions.

yes.

Kutaisi is an easy fix, but my backed up version of beacons.lua does not contain the old info for other airfields like Sochi and others. Perhaps it is from one of the hotfix versions.

Could someone please offer their beacons.lua from a BLackshark install? I could get the beacon info from that file to fix the rest of the bugged airfields. This is something that has to be pasted in as the lines contain Crylic fonts in the identifiers.

Edited by JG14_Smil

Headspace: so now we can't even do this because of realism? Please stop. Just let us enjoy our sim.

I have absolutely no idea what I could have said to prompt this comment. My point was that since it's just a game, it shouldn't matter who knows what, just what's helpful.

Anyone who knows me knows that one of the things that annoys me about the hardcore game community the most is the tendency towards pettiness and one-upmanship as far as "realism" is concerned. I dislike it when adults rip each other apart verbally over stuff like this. It isn't necessary. So you must have misunderstood me.

Headspace #2: Please don't mind me.. I have had no sleep in three days. Salute for all you work with TARS and sound files!

No problem.

Edited by Headspace

Please, don't take it to heart, again apologies.

We cannot edit the beacons.lua.. I don't think it passes an integrity check as I am having trouble going online. Taking the file down. ED will have to fix it.

Edited by JG14_Smil