Questions: Landing gear & EAC

CoveringFire

A bit puzzled by a couple of problems i've been having this morning.

Firstly, is there any reason why i wouldnt be able to turn on the EAC toggle switch? i ran through startup exactly the same as normal, but the EAC toggle just reset to the off position whenever i tried to arm it. I've had this trouble a couple of times, and normally it works after a while, but i cant figure out what it is that i'm doing wrong.

Secondly, my last flight started with a bit of a bang. On takeoff at rotate speed i started to pull up and there was a loud bang, the pilot blacked out for a moment, and i assumed i had given the tail a whack (although i didnt think i'd pulled up that far).

After taking a lucky hit from a BMP that took my right wing off i watched the track and during takeoff my front landing gear had exploded and completely removed itself! What on earth happened to cause that? I'd have thought that during takeoff the load should be decreasing. So my first thought was a problem with the runway (Beslan rwy 10, approx. 2/3rds down)

Any help would be extremely useful, cheers!

2 things influence front tyre/gear problems.

1. Not disengaging nose wheel steering at 60kts during take-off roll

2. Rotating too late i.e. Possibly exceeding the max tyre speed under load.

also quite possibly taxying too fast especially cornering when loaded might affect the gear damage counter (when counter hits a certain value = failure).

I would also say that I have experienced this during a formation take-off from a bumpy runway so I now apply slight back pressure at 100 kts to stop the nose wheel bouncing.

As for the EAC prob, post a trk and we'll see what your doing wrong.

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Welcome to the forums.

First of all I will try my best to answer your questions but most of them are discussed several times in forums and also avaiable in FAQ section since these two problems are very frequently observed for starters.

1- You have to wait for your aignment on your CDU screen to finish. (ie 4.0 and 0.8 and ALIGN RDY flashes), then you press NAV on CDU screen. Most probably you do this but you forget this step as indicated in FAQ:

Ensure that you have selected EGI on the Navigation Mode panel below the HSI. This selects the CDU as the navigation data source. From version 1.1.0.8 the plane defaults to using HARS on ramp start. See page 117 in the Flight Manual for details.

Then you can enable EAC.

2- You have to disengage nosewheel steering (NWS) when your A/C reaches 60-70 knots during takeoff roll. Otherwise your front wheel might pop. Check your keyboard layout for the key that enables/disables your NWS.

Do not yank the stick backwards during rotation and do not pass 10 degree pitch otherwise you might have a tail whack.

and always use search in forum :)

A bit puzzled by a couple of problems i've been having this morning.

Firstly, is there any reason why i wouldnt be able to turn on the EAC toggle switch? i ran through startup exactly the same as normal, but the EAC toggle just reset to the off position whenever i tried to arm it. I've had this trouble a couple of times, and normally it works after a while, but i cant figure out what it is that i'm doing wrong.

Secondly, my last flight started with a bit of a bang. On takeoff at rotate speed i started to pull up and there was a loud bang, the pilot blacked out for a moment, and i assumed i had given the tail a whack (although i didnt think i'd pulled up that far).

After taking a lucky hit from a BMP that took my right wing off i watched the track and during takeoff my front landing gear had exploded and completely removed itself! What on earth happened to cause that? I'd have thought that during takeoff the load should be decreasing. So my first thought was a problem with the runway (Beslan rwy 10, approx. 2/3rds down)

Any help would be extremely useful, cheers!

1) before activate EAC once alignment reach 4.0.0.8 on the cdu pass from HARS navigation mode to EGI

2) 10 knotes before rotate speed pull the stick kindly to obtain 10 degrees of pitch.

Right, where to start..

Its possible that it was a bump on the runway, NWS was turned off at about 55kts. I'll try easing back on the stick a little earlier to reduce the pressure on the nose wheel.

as for the EAC problem, i'm relatively certain i did everything in the right order. I'll have another go and remember to save the track if i have the problem again.

thanks for the help guys.

Guest Fury_007

There is also a known glitch on some runways down the centerline like an invisible graphics terrain tear.

That's why I always take off f.om left of center.