So...I've decided to build an A10C pit

JCook

I've spent a few hours the last few days reviewing the posts on panels,wiring, helios, ejection seats, etc. I haven't really found any answers yet to get going - so I have a few questions.

1) Is there a definitive diagram on the dimensions of the pit - front panel, side consoles, etc? I've seen some nice 3d drawings but without dimensions my carpenter won't know what to cut.

2) Isn't there some company that sells the ACESII ejection seat kit?

3) Are there any dimensions for the individual panels - like electrical or oxygen system? I can have these fabricated - but again I need dimensions.

I'd probably start out with a simple panel as my prootype - like the battery / inverter / generator panel.

4) Is a second or third PC needed (recommended) for supporting extra monitors - I know with FSX you can network PCs together for additional monitors.

5) Are there any good plans out there for building the UFC or the CDU panels?

Finally - here is an idea I had for backlighting I had the status panel in mind. Print all of the columns and rows of cautionary text as white text on a black background matrix - probably in an excel spreadsheet. Get everything sized correctly and print it on a heavy stock transparency. If This should give text that is transparent and allow the lighting to shine thru. Has anyone tried this? Do you think this might work?

Thanks

John

I've spent a few hours the last few days reviewing the posts on panels,wiring, helios, ejection seats, etc. I haven't really found any answers yet to get going - so I have a few questions.

Then you really haven't looked very well. LOTS of info on this forum. :)

1) Is there a definitive diagram on the dimensions of the pit - front panel, side consoles, etc? I've seen some nice 3d drawings but without dimensions my carpenter won't know what to cut.

Definitive, nope. There are several people who have posted there work but you will not find a definitive guide. Here are the most complete plans available.

Y2KIAHs pit plans (I'm using these).

Dimebugs Stencils these are also nice, and potentially easier to do with out a CNC machine. I have posted a sketch up version of his plans in my threads and at scsimulations.com.

2) Isn't there some company that sells the ACESII ejection seat kit?

Flim and I used to sell them at scsimulations.com but we no longer sell any kits. Flim no longer has his CNC machine, but is looking at a way to sell a kit to cut your own.

3) Are there any dimensions for the individual panels - like electrical or oxygen system? I can have these fabricated - but again I need dimensions.

I'd probably start out with a simple panel as my prootype - like the battery / inverter / generator panel.

Again no definitive guide. Several folks have posted their panels through these threads. I'm currently going through and creating mine (based on pitblders work but making them adhere to mil-spec sizing). I will be posting all of my CorelDraw files as I complete them.

4) Is a second or third PC needed (recommended) for supporting extra monitors - I know with FSX you can network PCs together for additional monitors.

Nope, not necessary. DCS does not support multiple PCs rendering the game at all, but you can use a remote machine to render gauges via Helios. MFCD displays and RWR must be rendered on the main PC running DCS.

5) Are there any good plans out there for building the UFC or the CDU panels?

Check out pitbldr and y2kiahs threads.

Finally - here is an idea I had for backlighting I had the status panel in mind. Print all of the columns and rows of cautionary text as white text on a black background matrix - probably in an excel spreadsheet. Get everything sized correctly and print it on a heavy stock transparency. If This should give text that is transparent and allow the lighting to shine thru. Has anyone tried this? Do you think this might work?

Won't work unless you have special printer (printers don't normally have white ink and can't print white). Getting LEDs to shine through thin white acrylic is not a problem, the biggest issue is getting the light to diffuse enough to get even lighting. This is not an easy problem to crack DIY. EL Sheets give the best results but get very expensive. You can check my build thread on details how I'm making my panels. There are also several threads of people making panels by printing out and laminating.

Then you really haven't looked very well. LOTS of info on this forum. :)

Actually - yes I have looked very well. I've seen some of these postings Y2KIAHs post looks helpful if those .dfx files have dimensions attached to the nice pictures.

Definitive, nope. There are several people who have posted there work but you will not find a definitive guide. Here are the most complete plans available.

Y2KIAHs pit plans (I'm using these).

Dimebugs Stencils these are also nice, and potentially easier to do with out a CNC machine. I have posted a sketch up version of his plans in my threads and at scsimulations.com.

Flim and I used to sell them at scsimulations.com but we no longer sell any kits. Flim no longer has his CNC machine, but is looking at a way to sell a kit to cut your own.

A kit with the plans would be of interest - can always take this to a CNC shop to have it cut.

Again no definitive guide. Several folks have posted their panels through these threads. I'm currently going through and creating mine (based on pitblders work but making them adhere to mil-spec sizing). I will be posting all of my CorelDraw files as I complete them.

Nope, not necessary. DCS does not support multiple PCs rendering the game at all, but you can use a remote machine to render gauges via Helios. MFCD displays and RWR must be rendered on the main PC running DCS.

I've downloaded Helios and the manual - need to read it not sure what it can do for me.

Check out pitbldr and y2kiahs threads.

Won't work unless you have special printer (printers don't normally have white ink and can't print white). Getting LEDs to shine through thin white acrylic is not a problem, the biggest issue is getting the light to diffuse enough to get even lighting. This is not an easy problem to crack DIY. EL Sheets give the best results but get very expensive. You can check my build thread on details how I'm making my panels. There are also several threads of people making panels by printing out and laminating.

No - I think this will work. I'm not talking about white text on black, I'm talking about the outline of black background on transparency the lettering themselves will be transparent.

no one is giving out accurate dimension so far, There are and will be people that say it does not need to be 100 percent accurate. But it does help to be as accurate as possible when you may incorporate real control heads in to your cockpit.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

No - I think this will work. I'm not talking about white text on black, I'm talking about the outline of black background on transparency the lettering themselves will be transparent.

I dont think it will work. Once you have the panel mounted there will be very little light behind the panel making the text very dark and hard to read during the day.

check out this site he is one of the first F-16 builders with a good tutorial on making your own panels http://www.xflight.de/

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.