Repeated engine failure

ShuRugal

So, I get into position at the ingress point, go into hover, and bam! left engine quits. drop collective and pick up some IAS to slow descent a bit, fire APU up and re start engine. engine catches, spools up, climb back to altitude, bam! again. Gear out, set her down, try to start again, now it won't turn over, but EGT climbs and falls with each attempt.

track attached, WTF did i do wrong? Also, I seem to keep blowing out one or both engines crossing that 3400 meter ridgeline, why? Usually it results in a 'splosion, but once i managed to auto back down the length of the valley while i got APU fired up and mains restarted, but then sim crashed 20 minutes later and i lost the track :(

anyway, why do i keep blowing my engine(s)?

Interesting.trk

Im at work ATM so can't watch the track.

Are you turning on the engine generator limiters at startup (switches on the right near the rear)?

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

BS1 or BS2?

Never mind I see it.

You never turn engine anti-ice on.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

If you often forget to flip the EKRAN switch during a cold start (like I do), you won't get that warning. I've had my engines just quit on me multiple times, and it's usually due to me either forgetting to flip EKRAN on and never getting any feedback, or when I accidentally bump the cutoff lever =/

Im at work ATM so can't watch the track.

Are you turning on the engine generator limiters at startup (switches on the right near the rear)?

campaign mission, bird starts hot

BS1 or BS2?

Never mind I see it.

You never turned engine anti-ice on.

that could be it, but it is confusing to me why the engine would quit five minutes after i descended below the icing region.

3400 meters? seems you didn't turn on anti ice for rotor and anti ice for engine .

no zebra waring before engine turning off?

no warnings at all, just spooldown.

Icing in BS is purely a matter of altitude, and has nothing to do with visible moisture or location. At 3400m you would have had an EKRAN message about turning on the rotor anti-ice. When that appears, you should also turn on all of the other anti-ice devices.

I believe that BS uses the standard average lapse rate for temperature decline, and even if it's not exactly what BS uses, it's good enough for estimating when to turn on your anti-ice. You'll need to use the temperature indicted in the mission briefing for you planning.

You should turn on your anti-ice devices at roughly +5C, so if the mission brief starts you out at sea level and says that the temperature is +15C, you should turn on your anti-ice at toughly 1500m altitude.

This is based on a standard averga elapse rate of 2C per 1000 feet (304 meters). To go from +15C to +5C, you would need to drop 10C, which will take approximately 1500m of gain in altitude. If you started at sea level and +25C, then you could wait until 3000m to turn on anti-ice.

Since there is currently no way in BS to know what the outside air temperature is at any given moment (not completely true, see footnote), you have to calculate the approximate freezing level on your own using the temperature given in the briefing, and use that to determine when to turn on your anti-ice...or just wait until the EKRAN says to do so. If your EKRAN is in Russian, and you don't speak Russian, that might make it difficult.

Note: If you start the aircraft cold (i.e. not running) then your engine and gearbox oil temperatures will show you the ambient air temperature...however, I think there may be a bug in the oil temp displays at the moment where the needles are not properly lined up with the scales.