A-10C too slow to play

Hello, I just installed A-10C, and it barely runs at all. It is definitely not usable. I have an acer laptop with i3 330M 2.13GHz 1066MHz FSB, 4GB Memory, 320 GB HDD, Intel Graphics Medial Accelerator HD up to 1754MB DVMT.

Is my computer too slow? How can I get this to run?

Intel Graphics Medial Accelerator

There is your problem.

To put it in simple terms, your graphics cirquit is made to show movies and let you facebook. It is not intended for, nor strong enough to, play games. (That is, not new games. Games that are quite old should work.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Is that shared memory for the GPU?

Yes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

On a laptop it'll be hard to improve the situation. I have seen external graphics solutions, but they are rare, can cost a lot, and often require external PCI-e connectors on the laptop in question - which is also very rare. Came up blank when I checked newegg (though I don't shop there since they don't ship intercontinental, so I might have looked in the wrong place).

Your best bets would probably be to use a different system, unfortunately.

You can also possibly hack a couple of the configuration files - low.lua for example, and lower numbers a lot. But always keep a backup since changing things the wrong way might be a hindrance for you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Don't most laptops have a miniPCI-E graphics card? Unless the board has just the GMA and no expansion option...sounds like a low end laptop so the slot probably isn't there. Possibly could upgrade to an I5 with better IGP than the I3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111021

get 8 gigs of memory and upgrade to Win7 x64.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Slayer, that CPU you linked also has a crap GPU component. In fact, as far as I remember - it's the same crap but in a slightly different location. :P

Also note that a lot of laptop mobos require specialized equipment to swap CPU's. It's not like your standard desktop CPU - they're usually soldered in place.

There's a bit of a market artifact going on here: making a gaming-capable laptop isn't hard or expensive, it's more about market segmentation. Think of it like; people who want as cheap as possible a laptop are not usually interested in gaming or other advanced tasks. Therefore those are cut out of the lower-end segment. The same applies to expansion ports - external PCIe isn't exactly common equipment (I've never used it - I've even never used eSATA, and I'm a fairly advanced user...).

I'd consider it one of the drawbacks of having computer usage become "mainstream" - most people use their computers for relatively simple tasks, and thus most of the market offerings target that segment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

The GPU is garbage I agree and it is the same in both chips. However many mobile CPUs aren't soldered on and can be upgraded I'm pretty sure the Acer is socketed. As long as you stay within the same TDP you are ok (Both those CPUs are 35watts TDP so you can reuse the heatsink as long as you put new paste on it).

Best advice is save your money for a gaming desktop if you want to be serious about DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit