Help With F-18 Model, Refuelin Boom

Hello Gents,

This was a secret :music_whistling: but I need ur help :helpsmilie:. Having a problem repositioning the refueling boom, for some reason its not happining and just being stubborn..

The fuel boom was made by combining two objects into one (Currently one object with few elements). I tried with pivot, align and few other methods but still not getting the final looks to be pretty after rendering.

The fuel boom was originally made from the fuel boom location polygon then upgraded to final object as one however its a different object than the jet.

I tried also with solid works but after exporting back to 3dsmax the model goes dark and wired.

Last time I used 3ds max was version 5 and now its a big difference but thank god for utube tutorials :lol:

Unfortunately cant find any cockpit blue prints, so its being modeled based on flight manual and f-18 pictures which means spacing between buttons, knobs, toggle switchs will not be realistic

Gents here is wht I got so far :pilotfly:

frontkl.jpg

bottomsf.jpg

rightyr.jpgproil.jpgcocki.jpgfuelboom.jpg27205539.jpg

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 2

Specs: 13900k @ 5.5Ghz, 64GB @ 3600Mhz, 3080Ti.

outlaw,

In order to get the help you need, I think you need to explain a little better what exactly it is you are trying to do.

From your description I cannot figure out whether the problem is with the appearance of the boom assembly itself or integration of this into the airframe.

BTW note that the Hornet refuelling boom cover has two pieces - a cover attached to the boom and a separate small door in front(see attached image).

JJ

Thanks for the replays and the pics.

Alfa I didnt know about the mini door for the boom, thanks for that (will add it tonight)

Sorry for the bad explanation (was 1 AM and just wanted to go to bed, work next day at 7Am).

The problem is re-attaching the refuel boom to the jet. If u look in the picture below you will see red box which is a render mistake (as far as I know) and blue line.

I want to move the refeul boom back so that door side will be sitting next to the blue line to make accurate door movement. I do have few ideas to make it work but I am currently at work.

27205539.jpg

Edited by Outlaw

Thanks for the replays and the pics.

Gaanalma I didnt know about the mini door for the boom, thanks for that (will add it tonight)

I thought you might be unaware of that, because in your rendering of the probe, the cover extends much too far ahead over the nozzle :) . Anyway, that small door is only open during movement of the probe - it is closed again when the probe is fully extended.

Sorry for the bad explanation (was 1 AM and just wanted to go to bed, work next day at 7Am).

The problem is re-attaching the refuel boom to the jet. If u look in the picture below you will see red box which is a render mistake (as far as I know) and blue line.

Ok I see :) . Did you try to close old holes(using the "cap holes" function)? - it looks to me like you got some "squashed" faces(the dark blurry spots in the large square) in the process. Maybe you could post a close-up wireframe rendering of the trouble spots.

JJ

Hi Alpha, thanks for the quick replay..

I didnt try to use cap holes on these spots yet as I only noticed it last night however I did try cap holes on other spots and worked like magic.

I will check my model wireframe, vertices and post wireframe render pics tonight.

hopefully this problem get fixed so I can continue with the damn cockpit

Spent the last 2 days fixing all the polygons and mesh and finally it came through.. Still need to work the refueling arm and cockpit.

So far got 3 gb worth of backup files just for this model

88123324.jpgaaaagv.jpg

Edited by Outlaw