What are the wind speed limitations of LGB ordinance?

JujuMan

Whilst playing around with the Dynamic weather system, I noticed that my GBU-12's were missing the target with a 19kt wind over the target site by around 5 metres.

Pickle altitude was 8000 ft, auto lase on and with a lase time of 12 seconds.

How can I improve my hit accuracy in these conditions? Flying into the wind helped but again not 100% accurate.

did you input the mission wind direction and altitudes to LASTE?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

For LGBs you must offset the point of aim up wind from the target. The winds from 4000ft to groud level are the most significant, and in cases of high winds your point of aim my be off the at target altogether.

The LASTE wind page that people around here are obsessed with has nothing to do with it.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

For LGBs you must offset the point of aim up wind from the target. The winds from 4000ft to groud level are the most significant, and in cases of high winds your point of aim my be off the at target altogether.

The LASTE wind page that people around here are obsessed with has nothing to do with it.

Mmmmm, thanks for the input Eddie. Is there a reliable way of doing this or is it a matter of getting used to it?

I would have no idea on how much 'lead aim' to allow for altitude and wind.

Any pointers ?

1.I was surprised from your reply...obsessed ???So what's the answer About to correct Wind??

2.If you know and familiar with the answer why you do not give it to us???

3.see this http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1089008#post1089008

Edited by theghost

The 147 Squadron commander

"The Goring Ram"

Try flying a mission with no wind at all, and then entering high wind speeds into the LASTE wind configuration, then drop a few Mk-82s.

Then delete the wind settings to entered and drop some more weapons. You'll see that the weapons have exactly the same CEP around the target. Or in simple terms, the LASTE wind config has no effect on IFFCC ballistic calculations in current versions of A-10C.

And then of course there is the fact that the IFFCC ALWAYS corrects for wind, automatically. And unless there is a fault with the IFFCC, or you are flying in very turbulent winds you simply don't need to manually enter wind data.

EDIT:

The screen shot below demonstrates perfectly. Level MAT delivery from 15,000ft MSL at 250 KIAS in a mission with no wind, the crater on the right is with no adjustments to the LASTE wind config. The crater on the left is with winds of 90 knots (90 degrees from the attack heading) entered in the LASTE page. No change in the MPI at all.

Screen_121124_101756.jpg

Edited by Eddie

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Mmmmm, thanks for the input Eddie. Is there a reliable way of doing this or is it a matter of getting used to it?

I would have no idea on how much 'lead aim' to allow for altitude and wind.

Any pointers ?

The general rule of thumb is aim 1 foot upwind for every knot of wind between 4000 ft AGL and ground level.

Spoiler

I read up on this in the DCS manual and then I read all the threads around here and now I have no idea what is true anymore, so I gave up. I think the LASTE wind page is just an urban legend.

I read up on this in the DCS manual and then I read all the threads around here and now I have no idea what is true anymore, so I gave up. I think the LASTE wind page is just an urban legend.

I absolutely agree with you,This issue does not model in this sim.

back to the JDAMs :)

The 147 Squadron commander

"The Goring Ram"

Even if it did work, you still wouldn't need to touch it most of the time. The IFFCC always makes corrections for wind, and if you employ free fall munitions properly the wind has little impact on them, unless you're dealing with high wind speeds.

Spoiler

Oh and just to prove that this isn't some big secret, I'm far from the first person to point out that the fabled LASTE wind data doesn't do a thing, people just seem to ignore it.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3615287/Searchpage/1/Main/360776/Words/LASTE/Search/true/LASTE_WIND_new_insight.html#Post3615287

Spoiler

I hope and believe that within a year or two we could really enjoy the possibilities of the DCS,There are so many problems that it's really frustrating.

Too bad for ED,Multiplayer, missions Editor...

Huh? That makes no sense.

Spoiler

Why??

Because I can't understand what you are trying to say, hence your post makes no sense.

Spoiler