Transferring Program Files From One Computer To Another

cvsusn

I currently use a laptop that is unsuitable for anything but the least taxing missions. In about a week and a half that will change with a new desk top. What is the best way to get DCS World and DCS A10C over to the new computer? Put it on a portable hard drive for transfer? Just re-download from ED? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Carl

Re-download is probably best but if you have a lot of data, you can simply install the laptop hard drive in the new machine and copy the data over. If it's not too much then just use usb drives to do the job.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Install it fresh on the new PC.

Don't ever just copy software from one Windows machine directly to another or you're liable to run into all sorts of problems. And once you do things The Wrong Way, it's unfair to others to expect them to spend their time sorting it out for you.

Due to some forethought by the devs at ED, all of your user settings are saved to the DCS folder at:

C:\Users\*USERNAME*\Saved Games.

Although the actual sim is typically installed to:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics

If you copy the C:\Users\*USERNAME*\Saved Games\DCS folder to the same location on your new system, then do a fresh install of DCS, you should be up and running without having to reconfigure your controls and preferences.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Hamblue,

There is very little data per se. The computer overheated so much that the best one could do was just practice landings using one of the free missions. And those sometimes could not be completed because the computer would shut down.

Marklar,

Okay. Thanks. I've never deactivated. I'll look into how that's done. Assume it's on ED's website somewhere.

No, there is an exe file in DCS folder ./DCS World/mods/aircraft/a-10c. Don't remember its name, though. Look for activation.exe or similar.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3