Speed Incorrect

chardly38

I've had this happen when diving for a gun run in the mountains. I will roll in on a target apply dive breaks and start getting a warning that something's wrong. In my heads up display my speed is showing below 100 knots. After this happens my speed is off. How do I reset my speed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

... and that's the other mistake, though it won't affect your speed measurement.

Dont understand

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

Dont understand

One train of thought has it that it is incorrect to apply speed brakes when rolling onto a target.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Dont understand

I am not wrong.

You are not supposed to apply speed brakes during a gun run. If I remember correctly, the avionics weren't even designed for it.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

One train of thought has it that it is incorrect to apply speed brakes when rolling onto a target.

That's like saying "One train of thought has it that driving on the wrong side of the road is incorrect."

There's a right way and a wrong way.

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

There's a right way and a wrong way.

Yeah, the right way would be to explain to the user why the use of speedbrakes is apparently incorrect. That would help.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why would the speed break cause the hawg to lose the right speed. Ill turn on the pitot tube heat on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why would the speed break cause the hawg to lose the right speed.

It will not.

Post a track and we will be able to tell you what is happening.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why would the speed break cause the hawg to lose the right speed. Ill turn on the pitot tube heat on.

Well someone correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand, the PAC control system (that keeps your gun on target) was not designed with the speed brakes being a factor in the system. So the system response might not be what the PACs control system is expecting, and hence, it won't control your aircraft correctly. I donno if this is true in the sim or not, because I never had the motivation to check so. Deploying speed brakes during a gun run is a tactical mistake and an invitation to get yourself a nice, slow, parachute ride to the ground.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Blueridge is probably right. Pitot heater being off will definitely cause it and is the likely cause. When you turn it on it takes a couple of minutes to melt the ice blockage and show the correct speed.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

It would not cause losing the right speed indication. That is your pitot tube function.

On the other hand, the speed break disables your PAC system which helps with gun aiming, and also reduces your speed in the dive which is bad. The hog is already slow, any speed it can get for its get-away in a dive is very precious.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yeah, the right way would be to explain to the user why the use of speedbrakes is apparently incorrect. That would help.

I answered the OP's question.

He didn't ask for opinions about tactics. That discussion is separate from the OP's issue. But since you think it's so important, the reason is because Pitch SAS has to compensate for speedbrake extension using its trim authority. If you intend to shoot the gun, the PAC system also uses the SAS pitch trim to compensate for recoil. The combined effect of speedbrakes and gun recoil can exceed the capability of the SAS pitch trim system.

There is no tactical value in flying even slower than the A-10 already flies, and no tactic or technique calls for using the speedbrakes when employing weapons.

Soooo....

Don't use speedbrakes during diving attacks. Not that it has anything to do with the airspeed indication error described by the OP.

You're welcome.

• Like 1

"They've got us surrounded again - those poor bastards!" - Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams

You see, I prefer having more time on target and the ability to walk rounds up a convoy in a strafing run without interference of the PAC system. Accordingly, for myself, the employment of speed-brakes, given the correct circumstances, is mandatory.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Incorrectly?

I don't fly USA do I'll agree to disagree :)

I prefer informing peeps of the broad range of choices and then leaving it up to them to decide whether, given the circumstances, a particular method works better than another, alternatively not. Works much better than having to force a particular version down another's beak and forcing them to swallow - there's a good risk that one will end up gagging.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Slowing the plane down does give you more time on target, but it also results in more time being a target. The US works the plane the way they do to limit the damage to the airframe and bring more pilots home. In game though running with brakes does let you pepper the target more.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Wow what a debate. Here is a track from Smoke that Thunders mission. It happens at the end if the mission going after some (IFVs) i think. I like using the Breaks to slow me down to target. Ive looked around for gun run vids and the small amount of ones that get close or in cockpit the ailerons are closed so.......... I dont use them at every run. It depends on what Im going after. Im hoping for the next airshow here in florida that there will be an A10 demo. Want to have a long talk with the pilot.

Cant post track. Keep getting this. Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

Edited by chardly38

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]