Su25T Wingman & Target Designation

I can't help but feel there's a big advantage when flying the Frogfoot with an AI wingman. It seems he spots and designates targets much too proficiently. I imagine myself as his wingman and ask myself, could I point out air defences to him at 5km away. You end up with a constant queue of targets on your HUD without any need to search.

I'd like to see him designate less targets, and for his detection of enemy vehicles to be weakened.

When I flew Ka-50 finding targets was the hardest part so it seems strange that it's made redundant when flying the Su-25T.

One other thing. In the Frogfoot, designating targets. I can press 'lock' a few metres away from the vehicle and then slew towards it, the crosshair jumps the last little bit directly onto the vehicle. If I recall, it's different in the Shark. You must actually slew right over the target before it'll lock. Does anyone know if this behaviour correct, or should the two systems work the same?

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

Well, I recently re-begun playing air sims and I'm having trouble finding targets even with my wingman ^^ I suck at this game. But I agree. The wingman just keeps giving me targets even though I have no idea how to get a lock on them (well, I know the controls, I just lack the skill to fly and engage the buggers at the same time).

Yes they detect the targets very well, but they have no idea about avoiding threats. Its a rare mission when my wingman comes home with no damage. He just flys straight into the enemy lines with SAMs flying thick and fast. So good eyes but no brains.....

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Defensive movement can be programmed in the AI on the side. Perhaps the wingman only has offencive inside his tasking overriding his standard defensive capability's.

Check if he has this triggered, he might react alot smarter. Include flare-using.

Edited by BRooDJeRo

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be that ground forces are also designating these targets? The reason I ask, just recently I was playing campaign and my wingman was downed but I still had a green diamond around a target on my HUD.

(I'll use the mission editor to run some tests, find out what's really happening)

Edited by martinistripes

• 2 weeks later...

How can I add a Russian JTAC in the mission editor? Which unit do I need? I want to see if these make the same diamond appear on my HUD.

I'm thinking, at the moment, the wingman target designation should be disabled completely (if it can't be nerfed).

How can I add a Russian JTAC in the mission editor? Which unit do I need? I want to see if these make the same diamond appear on my HUD.

I'm thinking, at the moment, the wingman target designation should be disabled completely (if it can't be nerfed).

from what i get, red jtaccing is severely impaired as of now. The current jtac model is an abstraction of the procedures currently employed by the US Army / US Air Force. The red side only gets a very generic model with the CA module and therefore, only in multiplayer. Hope this gets corrected in the future, although i think there is a lack of information in regards as to how forward air control is conducted in the Russian armed forces. I tried to search the internet but couldnt find much. There are pics of some specialized equipment, like laser /ir pointers, but nothing more. The dcs Ka-50 has a UHF radio, but as of now its unfunctional. Its not known to me if its meant to communicate with specialized FAC units on the ground, or how, and at which organizational level the same equipment is disseminated to ground units. The radio has 10 preset channels; it's not clear if its meant to receive data for the abris, in addition to audio. afaik, the data-link device on the shark is not connected to the uhf radio, but i may be wrong

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER