Communications Menu not working?

Two-Six

Wow - picked an old thread to resurrect. Yeah the tuts and vanilla campaigns aren't the most welcoming teacher. I've found most of them I tried in the last 6 months to be buggy somewhere - you might be expected to have AI wingmen do scouting or assist with shooting as you simply lack the munitions but then they either don't respond or go suicidal. Or other triggers that are meant to happen like ground forces moving in don't happen. I think through versions of DCS the logic in the old campaigns gets broken, but it's possibly a lesser priority. To learn it I'd rather recommend Chuck's guide, youtube tutorials and maybe the loose standing missions. That and maybe joining a multiplayer group that can then add polish if you don't prefer solo. Not ideal, but what we got atm.

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

• 4 weeks later...

For any1 having this issue, try these 2 steps to solve it. I had the same problem and like many of you I had applied various tweaks to improve performance in DCS, like for VR and non-VR. Turns out it was my autoexec.cfg that I had put in the Saved Games/DCS folder that removed functionallity of Communications menu (as well as ingame briefing window popup at start of mission).

Option 1: delete autoexec.cfg in your Saved Games/DCS folder and restart game

Option 2: delete DCS folder in your Saved Games/DCS folder and restart game

Option 1 worked for me, although option 2 solved it as well as there is no autoexec.cfg in fresh Saved Games/DCS folder.

Hope that this helps any1 having this problem.

Cheers

Core i9 12900KF | ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 64GB DDR5 5200MHz | 3 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | MSI MAG 322CQR 32´ | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle | Thrusmaster T-Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 11

• 1 year later...

Ouch. This made “The Other Side” a very very difficult mission. I cleared it years ago before Black Shark 2 came out after maybe 3 attempts only failing on the mountain ascent before it. Now I just can’t get my wingmen to take stand-off shots rather than “running in” and dying to the AAA. Even if I make every Vikhr count and lots of stand-off (3.km) 4km) cannon picked off with both cannon round types, I still basically end up on empty  with more targets to kill. I must have failed like 5 times yesterday.

CPU: 5950x || Memory: 64GB || GPU: RTX 4090

Input: Virpil CM3, TM F/A-18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, WW F-16EX grip on TM Warthog base, Virpil CP1 and CP2, Cougar MFD x2 / w CubeSim screens, StreamDeck XL x2, StreamDeck 15-key, TrackIR5

Edit, whoops, not a solution: I didn't do a deep enough test to see if it was working on one of the campaign missions. I opened up the menu successfully while waiting on the runway, but checked in a couple minutes later and the action stopped working. Truly bizzare and frustrating but at least I didn't fly for 30+ minutes to the target area before realizing it was broken which meant I wasn't going to clear the mission. I'm going to test further options.

This is what I previously wrote:

in the gameplay options menu, make sure you uncheck "Force options for all missions and campaigns." I think a lot of DCS players may have radio settings intended to be as realistic as possible, but if that's forced onto some older missions it breaks them which I'm sure is why ED put this option there. Many of us see that option and think "of course I want my options to be how it is every time." I have to flip on my gamedev (retired hobby) hat, and remember that ED overhauled the radio system in the entire simulation several years ago, which was still several years after BlackShark's campaign was created; that and the fact that the Ka-50 doesn't even have real radio model made me realize the nature of the issue. As a consumer, it looks like a bug, as a developer...it makes absolute sense.

I started to understand this after Googling more and running into this post in another thread: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/200735-no-bug-communication-menu-not-working/#comment-3816200

Edited by EbonySeraphim

Input: Virpil CM3, TM F/A-18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, WW F-16EX grip on TM Warthog base, Virpil CP1 and CP2, Cougar MFD x2 / w CubeSim screens, StreamDeck XL x2, StreamDeck 15-key, TrackIR5

Had to turn on Easy communication. I kept the prior setting to Force options for all missions/campaigns off. I'll just use different settings KA-50 campaign and multiplayer when I get back into it.