Bodnar board with the "easy" wiring connector help

MacFevre

Seems the Leo Bodnar boards are quite popular, so I can't be the only one having difficulty. (Can I?) it's got the push clip connectors, and for whatever reason, I can't seem to keep my wires connected to the board! Is there a secret, or a trick of the trade? Maybe a specific wire stripping length or gauge?

I'm using 24 gauge multi-stranded wire. Have tried bare wire, and tinning them with solder. Short stripping, and long. It just seems they keep popping out. Not all of them, but a few. Any suggestions if someone has had the same problem? If not, well, carry on, :)

Buttons aren't toys! :smilewink:

My new Version 2 Pit: MacFevre A-10C SimPit V2

My first pit thread: A-10C Simulator Pit "The TARDIS."

Dzus Fastener tutorial, on the inexpensive side: DIY Dzus Fastener

Well... I don't have one to fool with, but I'll point out that 24 gauge is pretty small, and being stranded is going to make it that much easier to flatten out and harder for that green connector to latch onto securely.

If you are already locked in to that 24 gauge stranded, I'd suggest keeping the stripping just long enough to ensure that the green connector is latching on to bare wire... and twisting the strands together and tinning them, such that it is like a solid wire that is being plugged in.

If you are not locked in to using that wire... I suspect you would have better luck with a thicker gauge.

Hopefully somebody on here with BU0386X experience will chime in with more authoritative knowledge.

You might also try asking on Leo's forums.

http://www.leobodnar.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=26bf11f138f372875ecd774257820ea0

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Have you tried to push down on the release button before inserting the wire. When you push down on the release button you manually force the "jaws" open thus insertion will be easier. When wire is fully inserted then release the pressure again and it should hold.

Otherwise as CyBerkut says try with a little bigger wire. However if the insultaion gets too thick you might run into problems again.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers

Hans

4BU0836X_01.jpg.08f304d70999b733a52e633d758de820.jpg

Yeah, they can be rather fidgety especially when you have all the ports full. My advice is as others say use thicker wire - preferably single core and make sure you press the the button down fully - try maybe using a small screwdriver.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Thanks. I'll try some thicker wire. I personally don't like solid core too much. Seemed to break a lot on me when I work with it. Makes a lot of sense though, that it would be flattening out as the jaws of the clamp were coming down on it. I thought I was coming down all the way with little button, but maybe I wasn't. I'll try again! :)

Stick with the stranded wire for ease of use and solder the end. The connector will grip the soldered end better than solid core wire.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I agree, use a screwdriver to push the buttons. I would also do a test by pushing in a tinned or solid wire until you feel resistance then push the button to allow the wire to move into the clamp then release the button. This will give you an idea of the length you need to strip.

The mechanical aspects of electronic construction are very important with respect to reliability. Make sure that wires are supported to stop them falling out, I made this bracket with grommet fairleads which does the job.

Best wishes,

Pete.

Dscn6558_1024.thumb.jpg.f6cf5e6a94ba5e07a1de6836e6c0e046.jpg

• Like 1

An option is to use a crimptool and pins for the thin wires. We use DB25 extensioncables cut in half (very thin wires) as connectors between different places in the racks. Almost impossible to get a valid connection without the pins and also breaks after a few bends if not secured. Pins that also secure the isolation of the cable is hold securly in place.

Pics for illustration only

8054884-01.jpg.1faab067d7afc88769758809ec6135d6.jpg

4421580-01.jpg.cc9a27e417f5257d45379efd05c249f5.jpg

• Like 1

- - - -

Huh. The pin idea is pretty interesting. Maybe I'll try that first before switching to a larger wire. I've got a bunch of pins left over from my AMT days. Thanks for the idea Duck!

Oh, and thanks for the idea about the bracket, Pete. I've also been wondering if I should get a project box or simply leave the board out, maybe some stand-offs and fasten it straight to the side. But the bracket looks great to separate and support the wires. (The ones on the right, are they Ethernet wires? Just curious.)