Mission 6 "Patrols" Ridiculousness

So am I the only one that can't get passed the second LZ?

This is where I have to put down the grunts in my Huey and I have to do it in a radius of 40meters from COO.

But after what seems a successful drop-off the COO orders to take off again and RTBs! And at base he does not even land but starts doing infinity loops oround the airfield (eventually he runs out of fuel and crashes ... or I do).

Crazy. Really enjoyed this mission at first but now it's a stone around my neck that I can't finish.

EDIT: Figured it out : You HAVE to let the leader land first. Touch the ground before he does, even if you're in the 40m readius ... and that crybaby RTBs!

Loved this mission at first, but now that I've completed it it is clear to me that this is not formation flying with army-buds No. This mission is all about a CO trying to fraternicide one of his subordinates!

Edited by degeus71

• 4 weeks later...
So am I the only one that can't get passed the second LZ?

This is where I have to put down the grunts in my Huey and I have to do it in a radius of 40meters from COO.

But after what seems a successful drop-off the COO orders to take off again and RTBs! And at base he does not even land but starts doing infinity loops oround the airfield (eventually he runs out of fuel and crashes ... or I do).

Crazy. Really enjoyed this mission at first but now it's a stone around my neck that I can't finish.

EDIT: Figured it out : You HAVE to let the leader land first. Touch the ground before he does, even if you're in the 40m readius ... and that crybaby RTBs!

Loved this mission at first, but now that I've completed it it is clear to me that this is not formation flying with army-buds No. This mission is all about a CO trying to fraternicide one of his subordinates!

I had the same thing happening. After dropping the troops, the flightleader rocketed full (cyclic) towards the homeplate. Over the mountains I lost him halfway because he was too far away and the mission "failed".

Next try, We were waiting for Springfield 3 and 4 to arrive at the last waypoint, because they were waaaaaaaaay behind. Following the flightleader as faithful as I could, I suddenly observed him "jumping" up very sharply and on a collision course with myself. This triggered a sudden yank on my own collective and it ended in "seperation"... Boy...

Screen_140816_225038_zpsa9757c5c.jpg

And when viewing the debriefing screen, it appeared a Mi-24 crashed into Springfield 4 at some point. Wich is very peculiar because with the F10 view, I clearly saw both Springfield 3 and 4 coming in. (and no Mi-24's) This mission is defenitly flawed. The idea is very good, but flying in formation with the horrendous AI is impossible in mountain terrain.

Screen_140816_225222_zps5bab8b40.jpg

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

• 2 months later...

Oh boy .. what a mess .. gonna keep that in mind for my next try.

CO was going straight to the base after the 2nd drop off and then he was endlessly orbiting around base - the other helos were circling somewhere near the base and nothing happened.

Tried to land on my own .. mission failed .. :mad:

Oh boy .. what a mess .. gonna keep that in mind for my next try.

CO was going straight to the base after the 2nd drop off and then he was endlessly orbiting around base - the other helos were circling somewhere near the base and nothing happened.

Tried to land on my own .. mission failed .. :mad:

DANG!

I'm at the same spot. Naturally I suspected something was wrong after about five minutes of figure 8's over the base so I started my timer...flew around another ten minutes, got bored and called it in with tower, went in for a landing and FAILED before I'd even touched down (yeah my own chief got into a fit or something...what a dumbass).

What I managed to observe was that another chopper was just in the process of landing (whilst the CO kept orbiting).

Y'know what? Maybe if I'd just waited ONE more minute in the figure 8-game, that other chopper might have landed properly and then maybe the CO would have went in for a landing...

But hey, I really don't mind - this whole UN-campaign is just AWESOME!!! I love this game! :pilotfly:

I'll figure it out tomorrow - gotta watch Walking Dead now.

Y'know what? Maybe if I'd just waited ONE more minute in the figure 8-game, that other chopper might have landed properly and then maybe the CO would have went in for a landing...

I´m pretty sure it wouldn´t have helped if you had waited - meanwhile I was able to finish the mission.

At the second checkpoint where you´re supposed to drop off the troops I´ve waited for the CO to land first.

After that I got down and deployed the troops - the CO then flies of to the place where Diego was shot down in the previous mission cause he wants to check if the Huey can be retrieved.

When you´re there and the CO got what he wanted he´s going home and gives you the command to land on your own a few miles before you reach Madrid.

Yeah, the campaign is pretty nice otherwise - I like it quite a lot.

Good luck for your next try :thumbup:

• Like 1

I´m pretty sure it wouldn´t have helped if you had waited

And you were right! On my latest attempt the CO just flew in circles until his petrol ran out, I went to base and landed and failed the mission :mad:

But hey guess what, this was my second attempt tonight - the attempt before actually played out exactly as you described! We went to look at Diego's wreck (having done one overwatch for another insertion by them other fellas) but that CO flew like an idiot and I crashed on a slope trying to locate him :doh:

So this had me wondering a lot as to why for Pete's sake I couldn't trigger that wreck search the second time tonight...but NOW I KNOW!!! In retrospect, I do remember that I didn't wait for the CO to land on my second attempt.

Big thanks, golani79! Respect :)

[gang sign]

UPDATE (11-19-2014): I made it! Funny thing is I thought I was free to go as the CO said "Break off - choose your LZ" and such...well as I did a dumbass macho descent my own commander lost it again: "I said keep up, Rookie - I'm gonna smack your head" followod by "YOU*VE LOST YOUR LEADER - RTB".

WHAT WHAT WHAT?!?!

After all blood, sweat and tears and following a CO gone apeshit behind the controls, having me nearly crashing into them mountainsides, nearly losing him. NOOOO!!!

Well anyways, I landed Vietnam-style and got a "MISSION SUCCESS!" but only at 70%. But hey, I checked and I can now move on to the next mission.

It don't mean nothin' man, I'm done with this mission now :)

Edited by SFC Tako