Can someone throw up some tips or links for avoiding Friendly fire?

Sometimes bvr doesnt always tell us if they are f till get close. I think we should all review these things. Obviously its not always black and white.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

oh and then there is the switch to guns trick when locked on target. Maybe thats changed now...

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/

And when in doubt, LOOK at the plane you're tracking.

Is he an enemy plane type? (PITA to accomplish on servers that put same sorts of aircraft on both sides) ... if both types of planes on the same server, does he have enemy markings?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

oh and then there is the switch to guns trick when locked on target. Maybe thats changed now...

No- that was a method for determining IFF when tracking in Thermal.

Like has been said-You are lacking SA.

Reading the briefing & checking the map out might help.

Where is my home plate?

What directions/ area should I expect enemies to come from?

What planes are on what side?

Do I know how to interpret my RWR/ TEWS or RHAW?

AM I on the server's comms? If not- why not?

No IFF in BVR until close? You are talking about Jamming, right?

(everyone) Well- being on comms will certainly assist in clearing up who is where. If you are egressing / heading home with your jammers on- you are BEGGING to get shot at by your own teammate. Turn em off unless you are under direct threat, or as part of an engagement strategy.

If you are heading towards the enemies' airspace- you should probably assume that any jammer you see is HOSTILE until proven otherwise. In the F15- it's a bit easier with the symbology being a bit more specific. Being on comms can also help with this- simply speak up- "Team- check jammers off" ANyone who MUST have them on will say so, and maybe cycle them off/ on so you can see which one he is.

(pssst- jammers don't make you invisible! In fact- they are like a having a big frickin' flashing sign over your plane)

(everyone) Well- being on comms will certainly assist in clearing up who is where. If you are egressing / heading home with your jammers on- you are BEGGING to get shot at by your own teammate. Turn em off unless you are under direct threat, or as part of an engagement strategy.

If you are heading towards the enemies' airspace- you should probably assume that any jammer you see is HOSTILE until proven otherwise.

Just wanted to jump in and point out, that, according to experience and what you've said yourself, this assumption is very wrong and dangerous especially when there are friendlies already ahead of you. You may not want them to have their jammers on, but they may need to keep them on for very good reasons (ie. downsizing a SAM engagement envelope, masking others, not having time to think about toggling it off in the missile of a fight, etc)

(pssst- jammers don't make you invisible! In fact- they are like a having a big frickin' flashing sign over your plane)

Yep ... and they do in fact make you suffer more against ARH, at least in LOMAC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Sometimes bvr doesnt always tell us if they are f till get close. I think we should all review these things. Obviously its not always black and white.
Its generally black and white.

If they are jamming then wait until burnthough to fire if unsure.

If they are not then you can tell if they are freind or foe.

Also, be careful of what you are doing with ARH missiles, as they will track anything.

hmm No- I dont think so. If you dont need them on you shouldnt have them on. Plus I recognize that this is not the reality of online flying- so I specifically mentioned how comms will assist. Certainly assuming it is hostile is better than assuming it is friendly coming from the routes known to be enemy. "Til proven otherwise" does NOT mean "Shoot first and ask questions later". It does mean watch him- CLOSELY and verify where your teammates are.

When you have teammate ahead of you- this is a prime example of what I mean by- GET ON COMMS. I cannot cover every situation here in one thread, so no matter what I say- someone is going to pick apart every single syllable.

Immerse yourself in Situational awareness.

If you got a plane visualy and you're in daubt if its a friendlie or enemy , lock him with radar to make sure what he is . It's bether to do a buddie lock , than to get friendlie kill. ( call out that you have locked a friendlie after tough, by saying " BUD " " buddie" either in ingame text or on coms. )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you got a plane visualy and you're in daubt if its a friendlie or enemy , lock him with radar to make sure what he is . It's bether to do a buddie lock , than to get friendlie kill. ( call out that you have locked a friendlie after tough, by saying " BUD " " buddie" either in ingame text or on coms. )

To be more precise, if you lock a friendly aircraft, when you do so, call "raygun + your position from the aircraft" , Ex.: "Raygun 6" meaning that you are locking a friendly from his 6 oclock and if its confirmed friendly he will reply "Buddyspike". If you are looking for a person in particular, you do the same except that your wingman need to reply to you "naked" if he dont receive the "buddyspike" so you know that you still need to search for him.

Hope it helps.

sigpic4165_1.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=36435&d=1266786388

Good stuff guys keep it coming. Looks like everything is covered but only thing I can add is that we might want to sticky this thread so the next guy who might ask about this will be able to reference this material.

S! Tex out:icon_supe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Its obvious there isnt enough of this talk going on. I am aware but not totally, and I suppose burn through has caused me problems recently.

Planes, lots of servers with lots of planes. Maybe f15 and 33's on one side.

That makes this important, and again I do not like server restrictions on planes. If I come online Im not there to fly a a10 or 25 please make the 27 and 33 available for your bandwidth.

Thanks to all good info.