Serial Numbers

Gary

Can someone explain please how these should be logged and recorded?

As mentioned in a previous post, the module manager does not show all my serials for items I have purchased and I just logged onto the main DCS website and that only shows one serial, when in fact I have purchased several.

(and yes my log in details are the same - one account)

I would prefer all my serials to be kept on the DCS website, all in one place, just in case of serious PC errors my end.

Kind regards,

Gary

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

Hi Gary. What I did was downloaded the Aircraft again via the Module Manager and it updates automatically. Although it says to purchase I never had to as it is logged on there Server as bought by me already. Then the Serial Numbers will appear in the Module Manager.

Regards Plexi

Edited by plexi
forgot my name

Plexi,

Thanks for this.

That will work for my missing Huey serial but will need another method for my BS1 serial (which I need because I have BS2 upgrade)

Thanks again,

Gary

Plexi,

I might be being dim here but just went to try your method and because I already have the module installed the list of available modules doesnt include the option to download those I already have (quiet sensibly!)

The only option I can find on the installed tab is the activate / deactivate option and i really wouldnt want to do that just to get my serial.

Am I missing something here?

Regards,

Gary

Serial Number

Not too sure as to how to proceed from here Gary. Wish I could help more. It all went quite seamlessly for me. What about trying the Downloads Page. Although you have probably already tried that. I had the A10 that I bought a couple of years ago and found that once this DCS World and the 1.2.4 came out it would not show up in the MM. So like I said earlier I downloaded the whole thing again. It didn't change the Serial Number but included it in the MM once done and I was then able to use it in DSC World. Other than that I had to use it as a stand alone so to speak. I wish you luck Gary it is a bit of a pain I know.

As regards my BS i did much the same and it upgraded it to BS2. It did show as just BS1 in MM but that changed it.

Regards Plexi.

Edited by plexi

Plexi,

No problem and thanks for the replies.

Not a massive deal for me at the moment as everything works fine.

Just want to ensure all my serials are recorded somewhere together.

Thanks again,

Gary

I was curious about this myself Gary.

I don't know if I/We have to completely reinstall BS1 and BS2 Upgrade again or not since DCS World has been updated.

I definitely reinstalled them after installing World, but I have yet to see their serial numbers listed. But then I have only just jumped into BS2 once since reinstalling and haven't actually done anything (because I need Saitek Controller Profiles and a starter profile for TrackIR before I go any further).

But as long as it all works, regardless whether or not the serial key is displayed, I'll be happy. I kept all my purchase records so it shouldn't be hard to reinstall OR obtain updated serials (if need be) to activate the sims again.

Best of Luck to you.

Please post here again if you find a solution. I'll do the same soon (as soon as I jump back in the cockpit and start serious training ..... again !).

SnowTiger:joystick:

All,

Think I know the problem now. Its all down to how many accounts you have on the DCS website. For some reason I have 2 listed (don't remember setting two up though but I am getting old!)

However it still shows wrong information I think on the serial number manager pages.

On the old account it shows me having BS1, BS2 upgrade and A10c 1.2.4 all download versions so all good there.

New account (saying new because this is where Huey is listed and only downloaded it a week or so ago) it shows Huey (correct) and FC2 (pretty sure that is not correct - never remember buying this item, perhaps someone could check for me please?)

To make it even more confussing under the payments section on the DCS website for my old account it lists P51 as being purchased (along with A10c, BS1 and BS2 upgrade) but I know for certain I never did buy this module.

On my new account under payments it only lists Huey (which is correct)

Guess the question is - anyway to have my two accounts merged?

Kind Regards,

Gary

Hi Gary. What I did was downloaded the Aircraft again via the Module Manager and it updates automatically. Although it says to purchase I never had to as it is logged on there Server as bought by me already. Then the Serial Numbers will appear in the Module Manager.

Regards Plexi

I tried doing this for my copy of FC3 and a browser window opened for me to purchase the bloody game!! Looks like ED has the download available for the current version. Will try that. Hopefully this fixes the issue...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's not the fall that gets you. It's the Godawful sudden stop at the end.

I kept all my purchase records so it shouldn't be hard to reinstall OR obtain updated serials (if need be) to activate the sims again.

That is the bottom line here. Although ED's setup works pretty well, I would never count on any vendor's website as a safe repository for my serial numbers.

Personally, I have a spreadsheet for software keys including everything from A-10 to Windows.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That is the bottom line here. Although ED's setup works pretty well, I would never count on any vendor's website as a safe repository for my serial numbers.

Personally, I have a spreadsheet for software keys including everything from A-10 to Windows.

The point of the thread really is about tracking serials agreed. Thats why having a module manager was a good idea.

I just want my module manager information to be right and contain my serials please.

If the vendor does loose all serials, we are all knackered surely??

Also doesnt account for wrong information on the DCS site.

Just want to stress though that this is not a big deal at all. I just thought if ED has gone to the trouble of creating the MM then lets all try to make best use of it.

Kind regards,

Gary

All,

Any chance of a constructive reply rather than the "don't rely on the vendors to keep my records" please.

I am more than happy to keep my own records if needs must but surely the whole point of the module manager is exactly this issue??

My question stands please - how do I merge my two accounts in order to consolidate my account?

My previous experience on here has always been good - even if the answer was not what I wanted.

Just please explain why this is not possible - assuming its not???

Kind Regards,

Gary

And just whilst I am on a roll here - yes i abosolutely do expect my vendors to keep records of my serials if this is the method they choose to employ.

My contract with them is such that I have purchased software and they choose to provide me with a code that enables it to work.

Absolutely they need to protect those records in my view. I can prove via bank statements etc that I gave them money. Surely they should be able to provide proof I have access to that purchase.

Sorry for the rant - just want to get this issue resolved!

Kind Regards,

Gary

All,

Any chance of a constructive reply rather than the "don't rely on the vendors to keep my records" please.

I am more than happy to keep my own records if needs must but surely the whole point of the module manager is exactly this issue??

My question stands please - how do I merge my two accounts in order to consolidate my account?

My previous experience on here has always been good - even if the answer was not what I wanted.

Just please explain why this is not possible - assuming its not???

Kind Regards,

Gary

Open a support ticket here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

There should not be a problem for them to merge the accounts. Be sure to provide them with appropriate email addresses and such to verify your ownership of both accounts.

My apologies for not offering this information earlier.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

cichlidfan,

Thank you for the reply - apologies if my rants came across as a dig at you - that was not my intention. As I said, my experience on here has always been good previously.

I will raise a ticket of course but to be honest my previous experience of doing so was not good.

Will give it another try.

Thanks again.

Gary

Thank you for the reply - apologies if my rants came across as a dig at you - that was not my intention.

No worries.

I will raise a ticket of course but to be honest my previous experience of doing so was not good.

Will give it another try.

I won't make excuses for the support system, for whatever reason, they often seem overwhelmed. One thing I can suggest, to help, is if you have not received a response in a few days then post a request for assistance, with your ticket number, in this section.

http://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=38

What I would like to know is, why can't I input the serial number in the module manager of the A-10C I bought thru Steam?

I'm confused. Did you buy A-10C through Steam and then use the serial to activate the A-10C module in DCS: World? That should still work if I'm not mistaken. If it doesn't, make sure you're typing it correctly. If it still doesn't work, then I would open a support ticket. However, DCS: World has never been available through Steam nor is it a purchase product so you can see where I got confused. The only version of A-10 sold on Steam is the one that does not require World (version 1.1.1.1) and has no "Module Manager".

Edited by CDR Spectre
typos and clarity

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's not the fall that gets you. It's the Godawful sudden stop at the end.

I'm confused. Did you buy A-10C through Steam and then use the serial to activate the A-10C module in DCS: World? That should still work if I'm not mistaken. If it doesn't, make sure you're typing it correctly. If it still doesn't work, then I would open a support ticket. However, DCS: World has never been available through Steam nor is it a purchase product so you can see where I got confused. The only version of A-10 sold on Steam is the one that does not require World (version 1.1.1.1) and has no "Module Manager".

No, I can see where you might be confused. I bought A-10C thru Steam, and later downloaded DCS world thru ED, and downloaded the A-10C module thru ED. When I opened DCS world after installing the A-10C module, I got the activation screen and of course used the activation key I got thru Steam to activate it. What I'm saying is, every module I bought thru ED has a serial number (key) listed, except my A-10C, but it works. What I can't understand is why my serial number is not listed in Module Manager, and I can not input it?:huh:

Kirk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would consider the module manager, like the auto-updater, to be still in beta.

Quick question for those who might know.

Where does the module manager get its information from?

I sort of assumed possibly registry but if that was the case they would all be listed?

I'm not suggesting work for the sake of it but if it could be changed to collect serials from the registry then surely it would be up to date?

(another assumption being the registry contains all your serials)

Yes - I do know the mother of all up is assumption! lol.

Kind regards,

Gary

Fair enough.:doh:

Agreed.

Info on its development always welcome via the regular updates of course.

Kind regards,

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

Like cichlidfan, I too keep a secret file hidden on my computer that contains all my Software License Keys and Passwords etc (for a billion different websites).

For extra security, I have given the file and oddball File Extension, so it isn't a document until I change the file extension to that specific program required to open it. So nobody would ever find or recognize it, let alone access it ... unless I specifically told them where to find it and what type of file it is.

I find it is important to maintain a copy of all Online Purchases via PDF documents so I can easily access them again if I ever need any tech support or need proof of purchase etc.

SnowTiger:joystick: