Last European A10 Squadron Deactivated

Pinefang

A sad day for sure today as the last European A-10 squadron was deactivated at SPANGDAHLEM AIR BASE, Germany. I for one am sad as I was stationed at RAF Woodbridge Uk. As a Weapons mechanic on the A-10 in 1980. It's a great plane to work on and to support. Sorry all of you HOG maintainers out there.:(

Edited by Pinefang

A sad day for sure today as the last European A-10 squadron was deactivated at SPANGDAHLEM AIR BASE, Germany. I for one am sad as I was stationed at RAF Woodbridge Uk. As a Weapons mechanic on the A-10 in 1980. It's a great plane to work on and to support. Sorry all of you HOG maintainers out there.:(

I am not one for believing in anything, but did this really happen because you would have been there at that time.

http://www.ufocasebook.com/Rendlesham.html

Yes I was at RAF Woodbridge from 1979 thru 1981 when all of this supposedly went down. I can tell you that absolutely no information about this event was released to anyone on or off base within unofficial channels. I didn't here of it until just a few years ago from a Discovery channel special and was as surprised as anyone that this allegedly occurred while I was there. Woodbridge was a small base with one runway and at night when the base closed the back gate road was very dark and went about 3/4 of a mile north from the aircraft parking area with the forest on either side. I can tell you one thing England is the darkest place you will ever see at night and I used to walk down that road and jump over the fence where my wife would pick me up after working the swing shift and it was spooky but I never saw or heard anything of this report. Sorry.

I can tell you one thing England is the darkest place you will ever see at night

This made me smile :)

(To be fair you were based pretty much in the middle of a forest. The town of Woodbridge itself has streetlights, running water, and even mains electricity too ;) )

You must be an Englishman. Yes Woodbridge does have all of the amenities. I recall many of my friends had to make sure they had plenty of p when they went home at night to feed the electric box and don't forget in my house the weekly filling of the propane tank for the propane heater we had to use and eight people piled on a couch to stay warm. They were glory days. It was different there than here but a positive experience.

Yes I was at RAF Woodbridge from 1979 thru 1981 when all of this supposedly went down. I can tell you that absolutely no information about this event was released to anyone on or off base within unofficial channels. I didn't here of it until just a few years ago from a Discovery channel special and was as surprised as anyone that this allegedly occurred while I was there. Woodbridge was a small base with one runway and at night when the base closed the back gate road was very dark and went about 3/4 of a mile north from the aircraft parking area with the forest on either side. I can tell you one thing England is the darkest place you will ever see at night and I used to walk down that road and jump over the fence where my wife would pick me up after working the swing shift and it was spooky but I never saw or heard anything of this report. Sorry.

Well if something like that happened around my place of work you would guarantee everyone would know about it. Hell, you can't even pinch a few coffee beans at my place without everyone knowing. Good job you weren't hopping over that fence when this was supposed to have occurred, if indeed this did happen.