Crash and Burn Landings?

VanjaB

Ok I just bought the Huey module yesterday and Im already having fun just flying around in the bird.

I have decided that Im not going to start on the campaign until I "master" landing it under fair conditions.

By master I mean at least 51% of the time :music_whistling:

After fooling around, reading a lot of forum comments and watching the landing video I created a custom mission and proceeded to try and land this bird successfuly.

Needless to say its pretty hard. I have had some success but most of time my landings end up with me crashing and burning. The vortex effect is really hard to avoid but this isnt my biggest problem. This is my question:

Landing the Huey slightly harder ends up in a fireball. Everytime. THis is very strange, I understand that landing it harder can result in bent or broken skids and so on, but this is ridiculous its almost like there are explosives inside the landing skids. Is this on purpose? I understand that theoretically you need to put the bird in the ground effect and then land, but sometimes this just isnt what happens and you end up dropping a few feet. Why the damn explosion every time?

• Like 1

I have put her down pretty damn hard without loosing anything more than my skids, and maybe the tail rotor. I know, Get rid of the extra weight :D

I even think i saw the devs announcing that it was tuned to take even harder impacts. Practice some more and try to never let it descend faster than 500 fpm.

You can also post a track so its easier to see excactly whats happening :)

Depending on what version you flying. There has been problem with this some time ago, but I think it was fixed or somewhat fixed because I no longer explode with harder landings (still do if I slam in in the ground realy hard).

Try running autoupdater, see if it download something and helps.

My current version is 1.2.4.12913 check it in main screen lower right corner.

From 1.2.4.12913 update -

DCS: UH-1H Huey

• Increased UH-1H durability after a hard landing (lowered explosion threshold).

Depending on what version you flying. There has been problem with this some time ago, but I think it was fixed or somewhat fixed because I no longer explode with harder landings (still do if I slam in in the ground realy hard).

Try running autoupdater, see if it download something and helps.

My current version is 1.2.4.12913 check it in main screen lower right corner.

From 1.2.4.12913 update -

DCS: UH-1H Huey

• Increased UH-1H durability after a hard landing (lowered explosion threshold).

Ok thanks for that, Im at work currently, but will check it once I get home today.

Ok, it appears that my version is up to date. So I guess more practice is in order, or maybe better newtonian physics are needed (with regards to momentum, gravity etc.) in addition to the already very nice flight model. Cheers ;)

This is what helped me: Start with no weapons aside from door gunners ie: no MCG's or rockets I think GVW is at 92%~94% fuel pending, easy to control with pickup/drop down. Start everything up pick up flight 100yrds or so not exceeding 40knots and then drop down again but be careful with your sink rate. I've noticed it likes to drop fast sometimes and -2 can quickly turn into -5~-10. Play with the conditions a bit and just keep practicing. I've had many hard (and I mean HARD) landings since beta released and I've only ever snapped off a skid. The only times I ever exploded the A/C was when I was dropping like a bomb which generally always explodes upon contact.

If you feel like its something wrong you can always use repair DCS function or uninstal and reinstal it again, no harm in that and it may maybe help.

But yes I would say you will need to be little gentler with it. Not to worry you will get better by the minute. Ive trashed so many hueys I lost count.

No easy way around that just...

Practice, practice, practice

Ditto to what everyone else has said its just practice makes perfect just go in to free flight and keep flying around the airfield doing approach circuits coming down almost to land then blowing off and going round again and again until you've nailed that part cleanly.

Then move to trying to land to which there are so many variables involved, nose up will slow your approach nose down will speed it up it is a very fine balancing act between the collective and the cyclic to much or to little of either and its great balls of fire.

Here's a tip maintain no more than 500ftpm decent once you see your speed drop below 60knts start adding collective gradually not sudden she will start to sink more so keep adding it and keep your decent above 500ftpm slightly keep the nose up on the ADI just above the first line ignore her if she starts to climb when doing this cause as your speed continues to drop whilst flaring the nose she will come back down on her own.

If you see that needle on the decent rate move quickly from 500 to 1000 to 2000 pull out ad collective and push forward on cyclic to save yourself.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

If you're exploding then you are dropping faster then you think at the moment of impact. And you might have been at a slower rate of descent only a moment earlier. It does take some finesse and constant, rapid corrections at times. A little forward motion can help also during landing.