1.2.6 version explosions quality reduce

stavka

Hi,

In my PC i can run everything very nice and fast with no problems even with high settings, BUT when i do a ground attack with full auto cannons or multi-rockets attack (for example with the Mi8 ) the explosions and smokes destroy all my fps even with all settings at low and turned off.

The only mod that i use is the "options.graphics.maxfps = 30" on the autoexec.cfg.

How can i fix this? there are any option for the autoexec.cfg file that drasticaly reduce the quality of explosions to not turn a cannon attack as a slideshow?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Tercio

Edited by stavka

• 4 weeks later...

i just tried a quick mission in the editor and the results are disconcerting. Put down a little skirmish with no more than 15 units in total. Tried the KMGU dispenser, and when the munitions hit the ground and explode, the fps go to maybe 3-4. This issue has been around since they put the new explosions effects into the simulator and sadly, the only thing I've read on this forum about it from the devs is that they are aware of the problem. ED pls do something about this, I wouldn't mind getting back the old explosions if fps get back to normal. Area effect munitions (and auto-cannons) are an important feature of the DCS battles. It is very frustrating to pass from pretty decent fps to a slideshow, at a time in which you are either egressing from target (which is a delicate situation, where you need to be able to deploy countermeasures and maneuvering timely,to twarth any possible incoming fire from the ground); or when lining up your A-10 to fire your cannon (situation in which you need all the precision you can get). In MP I already lost several aircraft because of this; the only solution being not to use area munitions at all anymore, which is in itself denying players the usage of many of the weapon systems modeled in the sim. Besides, the slideshow occurs when other players use these weapons aswell, so at times you get down to 4 fps for no apparent reason. If that happens while landing or air-refueling well, no further comment needed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

Hi Whitehot,

exactly, its very frustrating and for me DCS World, will be in quarantine, i bought all expansions and addons for it, now i feel that it was a bad investiment.

I tried everything, diferent drivers, changing settings on graphic card, change parameters on .lua files, nothing worked.

I have a constant and stable 40 fps in all situations even flying over cities low altitude with high settings. But when i ripple fire rockets or high calibre cannons exactly on the same places (even with lower settings) my fps goes down to 5. Exactly in the moment that we need more fps to accurately and intensively precision fire and use counter measures.

Firing weapons on targets its a main feature of this simulator. If devs can't fix that, is much better to redirect their skills to a civil flight simulator.

For me that issue, for now, keep me away of dcs.

My system specs are in my sig, below, and I was surprised to find that DCS is still heavily CPU bound.

I ran with everything set to max with three screens (MFCD) set to 5760 x 1080 and got FPS in the high teens. I set everything to LOW, three screens (MFCD) set to 5760 x 1080 and got the same thing. I switched to everything max again with one screen set to 1920 x 1080 and got FPS in the mid 50's. Just to check, I switched everything back to low with one screen set to 1920 x 1080 and got the same FPS in the mid 50's.

Conclusion: my two graphics cards are not being utilized as much as they could be. The only reason people are getting bogged down with high-end graphics cards is because their CPU's are taking the brunt of the workload. My watercooler fan goes from idle to full as soon as I go from the mission editor to Fly because my CPU is getting hotter.

Somewhere, I read that ED was going to try to switch out the graphics engine to make more use of the modern graphics cards capabilities but I suspect this will be way too much of a change for what ED has thrown their efforts into thus far. So, unless I can get liq. nitro cooling, I'm stuck with the FPS that I have.

PS> I just realized my sig had not been updated in a while. Today, I have a Samsung 27", a Dynex 40", and a Benq 27".

PPS> Oops, just updated and it's showing below. :)

Edited by =Mac=
added corrections to the sizes of my screens

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Hi,

My specs is: i7 920, ATI HD 6970 - 2GB, 6GB DDR3. Is not the best pc in the world but also is not a bad one. I can fly at 30 to 40 fps with all maximized even over high density cities. When i shoot multiple rockets even with all settings at low and turned off i have around 5 fps. Everything on hi or low settings doesn't matter, always 5 fps when fire rockets. Something is wrong in the core engine of the simulator. I use many other games and sims and their i can have massive wars with alot of fires, graphics intensive and explosions and fires everywhere and no fps decrease.

I know that comparing with other engines not help and any engine have their pros and cons. But if this engine (dcs world) were made to be used for military warfare simulation, why the engine works so bad when used in their simple and main objective like shooting rockets or cannons on ground units? Sorry to say but i'm realy think many bad things when saw this problem, that alot of people have, not being solve or solved after so many months and patches, and seeing now that the teams or devs are more focus on a new project using the same engine or whatever in another future project (ww2 europe). Or we will have the same problems there, and/or this problem of dcs world will never be solved. It completely spoil all the fun using the dcs world. I can only use it as a civil flight simulator, and for that exist much better products.

And you see that i'm not alone with exactly this problem, many others with pcs even better than mine. Is not a specific problem with my pc or a low spec pc, its his core engine.

If i only have the dcs world and no more references i could beleave that it was a problem in my pc, but only mentioning modern military flight simulators i have 19 installed and many many others military simulators (tanks, subs, ....) and all works perfect with high settings but dcs world no. Sad, but true, something is wrong with the core engine of dcs world.

Edited by stavka

I have noticed a major drop in FPS when ordnance explodes to the point that when 4x Mk84's explode on a bridge I get 2 second total freeze. I do have that moment caught on video, and no the video recording process does not impact my FPS or smooth running of the sim, this is new since update 1.2.6).

My PC specs: i7 3770K OC to 4.2Ghz, 16Gig DDR3 1600, KFA GFX670 2Gb, 1TB WD Black, Asus Sabertooth MB with Win 7.

Being a relatively new comer and reading and experiencing all the bugs with DCS World right now I am genuinely becoming a little disconcerted. The Missile issues, the Effects vs FPS issues, Air to Air Refuelling completely broken not only for AI but clients also. Most of these problems aren't new and have been around a while and are simply not getting fixed.

Not wanting to get on a soapbox then rant and rain down on ED but I want to say this: If I buy a new car from a dealer I expect it to run perfectly if it doesn't I send it back with a whole load of invective to get fixed pronto. I know, it's a poor show to make that analogy, I do realise that Software written by part time coders cannot compare to a high tech mass produced automobile... My point is I am a customer paying money that in this financial day and age should be a privilege to receive for your hobby product

I have invested over $160 so far in ED's products expecting them to work out the box, the only thing I expect to break are the major updates where ground breaking new toys are implemented. This said I love DCS and will continue to support it no matter but personally I would like to see more concentration on getting DCS World fixed and flying right rather than two or three times a year a new ED module being pushed.

Hey at least it's not a Microsoft Product right? :D

Just my two penneth.

Edited by Tengah

This tremendous impact on FPS really has to be addressed.

While I almost never use guns / bombs, whatever meant at being fired, I confess that I was really disappointed when I tried it after reading this and other threads.

Something is really wrong when explosions happen, and it doesn't seem to be related to any fancy trajectory / impact calculation in the background, but rather with the smoke / flames rendering themselves ...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...