New Player seeks squadron advice

Vedexent

Hello all.

After many years of wanting to dive into detailed "realistic" flight Sims, I finally couldn't resist all the really amazing flight videos you were all putting up on Youtube, so I bit the bullet, got a decent gaming PC, Saitek X52 Pro controls and pedals, a TrackIR 5, and DCS World, followed quickly by several of the DCS World modules ( Eagle Dynamics and their darn Fall Sale... :))

I'm both delighted and appalled at how deep the rabbit hole is; it's going to require a lot of study and practice - but I'm weird in that I enjoy that sort of thing. DCS World has consumed an alarming percentage of my free time over the last month.

I'm looking down the road, at getting seriously involved in multiplayer - and I really like the idea of eventually joining a virtual squadron: an online social group of like minded people with whom one can practice with, learn from (and maybe, one day, help out others in).

But I'm a long ways from there, as I really don't want to apply to join a squadron unless I can make a meaningful contribution to the group. I'm practicing basic flight, learning BFM, cobbling together practice missions to try things out, checking my flight and mission performance in Tacview, thumbing through some good actual basic flight manuals, and really trying to concentrate on 1-2 aircraft to learn them well (I'm finding I'm developing a real fondness for the Su-25 & SU-25T - more-so the original Su-25), as well as being reasonably competent at all the basic mission types those aircraft are suited for. Eventually I want to fire up the single-player Su-25A/T campaigns and work through those.

It's going to take me a long time before I feel I have the basics down.

And that's where my question for all you are members of virtual squadrons: when do you consider someone has "the basics" down? What skills and abilities do you think someone should have developed before they can be someone who is useful in team flight, and not just some newbie you have to train up to that level (and who might - therefore - be a bit of PITA to fly with).

I don't feel I have to be an ace pilot before even trying a squadron, but what do you people in squadrons think is a good "basic skill set" in an applicant, or new member?

Or ... am I taking the wrong approach to all this?

Thanks,

Some squadrons require a rather large commitment and a vast knowledge of the airframe they fly, very evident with the A10c. Some just get together to have fun.

My squadron knows that all pilots start at the bottom and work up. We were all noobs at one time. That said, I found the best way to learn was to study the basics and then fly online with others that will give you a hand. You may not learn the 100% correct way but you may learn a nice short cut to accomplish the same end result.

We do a check flight with potential recruits, more to see how they fit in, and we all realize the real life takes priority. If someone needs a hand with something, we help them out. The recruit may need to get a little better grasp of the basics before we let them join, buts that's so the remainder don't have to be worried about a mid air or something. But it still happens on occasion..no one is perfect, if they were they should be flying these jets for real.

Every time I fly I try and learn a new thing about the aircraft, it's never ending.

In summary, I'd say apply for a squadron that suits you, you may be surprised with yourself. I've been with my squadron close to 9 years now, still having fun.

join our server and have a feel on how teamplay changes everything. we have members that have different skill levels and some very good teachers. fly with us at the s77th server so you can start getting familiar with online play.

ps dont forget to join ts. info is on the server

The firehouse isn't a squadron per se as much as just an open server with a group of regulars who all helped themselves learn everything they know about each platform they are interested in. We don't have too many people who fly the P51 though a few guys are making their way in there with more regularity now.

The advantage to this server as well is that it's located in Alberta- which should result in great pings for you!

Our only request is that you have enough knowledge of the platform you're choosing to not have your hand held through an entire startup routine. Don't get me wrong, there are LOADS of people who come in and, for example, can't get their EAC light to turn off on the systems panel- at which point someone ALWAYS chimes in to say "don't forget to set your CDU to NAV mode and hit the EGI button in front of your stick." Oh yeah!

The occasional prompt is expected... what better way to learn? No sense hovering like some hermit alone in single player or watching youtube videos of other people in the sim when you could be doing it yourself!

I have a rather detailed description of "life in the firehouse" that I'll link to- ( http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1891702&postcount=16 ) and if it sounds like something you'd like to pursue the only stipulation is that our MAIN TS3 is SimHQ- and you need to have a free SimHQ registration to get the TS3 login info. You can also check out the lounge forum in the sig below- SimHQ is the more active of the two.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Hi Vedexent and welcome to DCS.

You will most likely start as a cadet pilot regardless of the squadron you will opt for. I recommend to get the basics right (BFM) then join a cadet program asap to sharpen you skills. You will have to study and go through a set of tests to earn you wings. So yes, I would say that's the best approach to learn fast and properly especially when you aim at flying online.

There are different levels of difficulty and requirements so it all depends on how serious and detailed you want your formation to be.

Here is an example of a well structured program for the Su-25 from the French 3rd Wing coupled with respective rank and evaluation process, programs for other frames available as well : http://www.3rd-wing.net/index.php?act=newroster&do=cursus&escadron=72nd

Edited by FLANKERATOR

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

Gentlemen, thank you for your feedback - especially since the 159th and 77th were two of the squadrons that made me go "I want to do that!" when I read your websites and/or saw some of your videos (the 159th ACMI file I watched on TacView was mind-boggling complex, and very cool)! :)

In short, I'm hearing that I probably don't need to have as much experience under my belt as I was planning - but I should know the basics of the aircraft and mission types - which I'm still working through (for example, I'm just moving off my beloved SU-25A to the T to learn to use the Phantasmagoria ELINT and anti-radiation missiles).

But - to ENO's point - I do know how to do a ramp start take off at least with the SU-25A/T; I'm practicing the occasional gale-force crosswind landing at Batumi @ night with the Frogfoot when I think I need a dose of humility - and I don't die (usually).

So don't be surprised if you see me in your Forums - and I may give the Firehouse a whirl this weekend if you could use another ground-pounder :smilewink:

Thanks again!

Hi Vedexent and welcome to DCS.

Here is an example of a well structured program for the Su-25 from the French 3rd Wing coupled with respective rank and evaluation process, programs for other frames available as well : http://www.3rd-wing.net/index.php?act=newroster&do=cursus&escadron=72nd

That's very helpful, thank you. I hadn't seen a lot of of ranking systems with explicit criteria (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough) in squadrons.

Having grown up in Alberta, my French is a bit rusty, but I'm sure I can puzzle it out with Babelfish and the wife's help :)

• 2 weeks later...