lua use: beta (sideslip)

Flamin_Squirrel

I was wondering if it was possible (and if so some direction on where to read up on it) to use lua code to display beta, or side slip angle, as a numeric read out? This would allow for flying helos in particular more efficiently.

It might even be possible to use this to create some kind of visual indicator later on.

Please excuse my ignorance, I read the Simulator Scripting Engine/DCS: World 1.2.1/Part 1 wiki page and I'm not much the wiser!

I was wondering if it was possible (and if so some direction on where to read up on it) to use lua code to display beta, or side slip angle, as a numeric read out? This would allow for flying helos in particular more efficiently.

It might even be possible to use this to create some kind of visual indicator later on.

Please excuse my ignorance, I read the Simulator Scripting Engine/DCS: World 1.2.1/Part 1 wiki page and I'm not much the wiser!

But that is what the slip indcator is there for ...?

150px-Turn_and_slip.PNG

Not quite. Generally the case for fixed wing but even then if you have asymmetrical thrust centering the ball doesn't mean zero side slip.

Hrm, but we were talking about helos? ... anyways, it seems, I have no clue about the difference - or what you want to archieve.

Sideslip - what I know about it:

attachment.php?attachmentid=89288&stc=1&d=1381468861

edit: Ok, I think, I understand your example of asymetric thrust. I.e. if I have only the left engine producing thrust, the sum of all thrusts is off center and shifted to the left. Therefore the tail of the plane is shifted left and the nose is shifted to the right.

But then, again, a) we were talking about helos where asymmetric thrust can't happen, right? b) why wouldn't the slip indicator show that kind of "crabbing"?

sideslip.png.238c2ed7a79dd99c04c2f6718c1327f2.png

Edited by Flagrum

a) In basic terms, imagine a helo flying forwards. The advancing blade's airspeed is blade speed + helo speed. The retreating blade's speed is blade speed - helo speed. Different airspeed means different lift.

b) Imagine flying sideways at 20kts. 100% slip, but the ball will be almost centred because there's no acceleration and you're almost level, and the turn indicator will show no turn.

Anywhoo, can we get back on topic?

If you're talking about efficiency you must be talking about flying with significant forward airspeed, at which point the slip indicator is going to be what you want to use, and you can get the number from that. TO my knowledge, that's the only way to get it anyway, so if it's not good enough, then the answer is likely no, there is no slip value that's exposed to the user.

You are talking about the "wind flags" on the edge of the air probe protruding from the nose of the Ka-50???

Yes, perfect example.

Sideslip as shown by a traditional instrument is a measure of lateral acceleration. Sideslip in aerodynamic terms is the lateral component of the difference between the aircraft's longitudinal axis and its direction of travel.

Exactly, they aren't the same.

If you're talking about efficiency you must be talking about flying with significant forward airspeed, at which point the slip indicator is going to be what you want to use, and you can get the number from that. TO my knowledge, that's the only way to get it anyway, so if it's not good enough, then the answer is likely no, there is no slip value that's exposed to the user.

The 'slip' shown by the ball doesn't show beta, or aerodynamic slip as aaron says. If you fly the Ka-50 at cruise speed, watch the vanes on the nose. It'll be almost invisible if you're fly with zero side slip as it's now parallel with your view. While doing that, look at the ball; it'll be displaced to the right slightly.

So, back to the original question: is it possible to extract flight parameters like beta (side slip) using lua code?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...