A-10 cannon firing rate

It's been tested to not function, but you can still toggle it. As far as the fire rate... well there seems to be confusion.. I haven't tested it.. but it would seem some say it's 70rps and some say it's 100rps.

Goya says it's 100rps (6,000rpm) and after watching a track of his it would seem he knows more than the average person, so I trust his judgement.

At the moment there is no real fire rate modelling in the game, and as ED people say, they're moving to... mmm... "more fair" level of modelling, which should mean calculation of every shell. But now we have projectiles grouped in packets. So all the planes have the same fire rate but different packet sizes. The fire rate is ~1/50ms, i.e. 1200 rounds per second.

Vulcan has 5 shells in one packet,

Avenger - dunno, haven't tested,

GSh-301 - just 1 shell, so its fire rate is lowered by 300-600 rounds per second compared to real one.

That's because you're not actually firing 1000 rounds ... IIRC you're firing about 200. It counts every 5 as one round, I think.

EDIT: Actually that has little to do with the apparent rate of fire, but anyway ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I just retested with the same result. 10 seconds to fire 1000 rounds. DayGlow also reported the same results. The plane slowed from 259 to 175 knots. I have no idea how accurate that is.

The plane slowed due to firing the cannon? I have talked to an active A10 pilot about this and the planes airspeed is not affected by firing the cannon.

• Like 1

signaturefever7hb.jpg

Guest IguanaKing
It's been tested to not function, but you can still toggle it. As far as the fire rate... well there seems to be confusion.. I haven't tested it.. but it would seem some say it's 70rps and some say it's 100rps.

Goya says it's 100rps (6,000rpm) and after watching a track of his it would seem he knows more than the average person, so I trust his judgement.

The 100 rounds per second that Goya speaks of is in the game. The approximately 70 per second that others have mentioned is IRL. That's why it was mentioned in the first place, to compare the maximum rate of fire in-game to the real thing. ;)

I saw a documenty on the A-10 a while ago and it said if the cannon were to be fired nonstop during straight and level flight, that it would slow the air speed of the aircraft down.... but who knows these days.

Unless they changed the bullets to travel at slower speeds (ie less powder in each cartridge), that would not be the case today, as the force on the gun would be the same as the one in the eighties. It could be due to the fact that the engines can run at full power when firing the gun, I beleive the early versions got compressor stalls (or some other engine related problem) due to gasses ingested by the engines.

Dice is the one that should know this one for sure.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Guest IguanaKing

The recoil force of the GAU-8 is about 10,000 pounds, so it does slow the plane down a bit when its fired. It even does this in LOMAC. Watch your ASI next time you fire a long burst...you'll see a decrease in airspeed. Its a force applied to the aircraft in the opposite direction of thrust, so it'll definitely have an affect on speed.:D

I've got a few photos of a solution for gun gases that was tried before. Its essentially a gun mounted fan. I'll scan them in and post them if Dice doesn't already have some on his site.

Elementary physics tells you that the mass of the DU rounds being expended at great force in the opposite direction of the engine's thrust tells you that there must be a slowing effect on the plane. Just how noticeable that slowing effect really is is the question. Sure, DU rounds are heavy and there are quite a few of them expended quickly, but compared to the mass of the plane... I don't know. Also, take into account that the plane is typically in a dive while firing.

Guest IguanaKing

Here are the photos of the gun gas diverter. Keep in mind that these came out of a book that is over 20 years old. I'm pretty sure these never caught on, but I figured they'd make for interesting photos. :D

gau86pq.th.jpg

The recole is about equal to one engine (8,900 pounds) and does affect the aircraft's speed but, not as much as one would expect. A full load of ammo is 1,174 +/- 5 rounds or, about 11-15 seconds worth. I know twst pilots who have held down on the trigger (during ammo testing) for 6-10 seconds and they say the only way they knew they had slowed was because of the "chase plane" filming the shoot showed it. They say at most the gun would slow the aircraft (in level flight) 10-15 knots if a full drum of ammo was fired. The only way to "stall" the aircraft with the gun would be to fire a full load of ammo in a climb at low airspeed.

Iguna, the device shown in your photos is/was called a "bellett" gas deverter. This was an attempt to drive more of the gun gasses under the aircraft away from the engines. Like Force-Feedback said the A-10 did have problems with compresser stalls during early testing and we even lost one of the first DT&A aircraft because of this. The gas diverter shown in the photo lasted less than a year because of it's weight and the problems it caused during gun 'spin-up". The thing weighted 80 pounds and caused gun mount cracking, barrel twisting, and vibrations in the whole aircraft.

The gun gas problem has been corrected by a number of things, better power, the barrels are depressed 1.98 degrees, and the engine egniters fire during gun fire. "We" also wash the engines (including the compresser and fan) anytime the fan speed drops below 2% because of gun gass gunk.

Ugly but well hung!

• 4 weeks later...
I saw a documenty on the A-10 a while ago and it said if the cannon were to be fired nonstop during straight and level flight, that it would slow the air speed of the aircraft down.... but who knows these days.

if the cannon were to be fired nonstop, it would melt :)

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

Guest IguanaKing

Yup...that was me, in both places. It won't stop you, but it does have an effect on your airspeed. As Dice stated (Dice is DA MAN when it comes to the hog), it slows you down but not as much as we might think. One major problem with the gun though was the gun gases causing an engine stall...but, since the igniters fire now along with the gun, engine stalls shouldn't be as much of a problem. The gun gases put the fire out, but the igniters re-light it. ;)