CBU 103/105, constant "lock" necessary?

cfarsr

I've been trying to work this out and if my wingman is doing the damage or I am. With that said in the "Surrounded" mission I've dropped the 105 on the convoys and before it will detonate, my wing obscures the TGP's view of the destruction.

With that said, do I need to somehow maintain my target in the TGP until complete detonation, or is it a "release and forget" weapon?

Many thanks,

Chris

103 and 105 are fire and forget so no you don't have to keep visual or tgp on them unless you want to watch for results.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

As a brief add on I believe the slight pause when you go to release the GPS / INS guided weapons is the time it takes to "upload" the target info into the weapon before it drops. Once it disconnects from the aircraft it's on its own.

Edited by ENO
GPS / INS

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

are these convoys moving? sorry i have not yet played this mission. Also to answer your question, if you have enable the views. Just press f6 after pickle and you can get a 'bombs eye veiw' of whats going on.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

Guest Izoul123
CBUs are not laser guided, so no, you don't have to keep TGP visual. Drop from higher altitude, and the TGP won't be obscured as fast.

Just to add clarity, CBU-87 & CBU-97 are dumb bombs, while CBU-103 and CBU-105 are JDAMs. (I'm sure camsr knows that, just pointing out for others who read this.) The GBU series is the ones you'd need to maintain laser guidance on towards targets via TGP/laser and guide them until impact (hint: set LATCH to ON in the TGP so you don't have to hold down constant, and just toggle on/off).

That being said, you might be better off on that mission switching the load-out to more Mavericks and lots of GBU-12's as if I recall that mission has lots of moving convoys, and with the nature of the AI in DCS, once you hit the biggest AA threat vehicle (well almost any vehicle in the convoy, but might as well hit AA/SAM threats first)/most/all of the vehicles will pull off the side of the road and 'stop', thus making easy pickings for gun runs. Or you could forgo the mavericks, and use GBU-12's to 'stop' the convoy, then use your CBU's on a second pass to take them out en masse...might be better option yet as this will kill them quicker and you won't have to spend as much time on gun runs as they attack in waves on that mission from different sides of the city. (Unless I'm thinking of different mission....)

The other option is you need to guesstimate/lead anticipated point for CBU impact depending on your altitude/vehicle ground speeds to get effective results with the CBU's on fast moving convoys, kinda tough if you're learning still. Otherwise it's quite possible the convoy will outpace the impact burst area of your CBU which I'm guessing is one of your main problems outside of keeping things in TGP view. JDAM /Dumb bombs are only going to hit on the physical coordinates of 'earth' you specify via CCRP/CCIP, and they won't lead/follow to the actual moving target which is a problem if you are dropping at high altitude to avoid AA/SAMS. Also keep in mind you need to take wind into account with the 87 and 97, but the 103/105 seem to have wind correction built in (maybe I'm wrong?...I just have much better accuracy with 105 it seems). I have a feeling the person who made that mission wanted people to have more of a 'what if' scenario challenge to attempt 'leading' convoys for CBU use.

Ideally what is needed is the MK20 Rockeye with the LGB kit, but we don't have that in DCS.

GBU-5/B 1MK 20 "Rockeye"KMU-420/B

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app5/paveway-1.html

Hope that helps your mission.

Izoul

Edited by Izoul123

Actually, the CBU-103/105 are not GPS-guided at all. They're INS (IMU) guided.

I'm only vaguely familiar with INS guidance, I believe it means the bomb knows the location of itself when released, and uses than info to push itself to a given point. No GPS guidance at all. But what is the difference between the 103 and 105, and how is the procedure for deploying them different than the 97?

WCMDs update the weapon's INS position using the aircraft's GPS. It's called a Transfer Alignment.

A CBU-103 is a CBU-87 with a WCMD tailkit, while the CBU-105 is a CBU-97 with a WCMD tailkit.

In DCS, dropping a WCMD is procedurally the same as dropping a JDAM. ED intentionally changed and simplified the actual IAM employment process.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell why ED simplified it? And, how would be the proper procedure?

• 2 months later...

I can not change the release modes, RIP QTY or release spacing interval in profile for CBU-97 as well as CBU-105? While HOF I can change. Could you tell me why? DCS 1.2.7.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

I change HOF under the INV page, select station #, on the DSMS, then Load or Load Sym.

Sgl, Prs, RIP, Qty etc are changed under the Prof page on the DSMS.

Have to edit both places to get settings that I want.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

I didn't ask about that. I know where is and how change. First, a small correction - Profile for CBU-97 I can change, but for 103 and 105 can't do anything. Is it because of WCMD?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

Sorry I misunderstood. I see what you mean, hadn't noticed that you cannot change the settings even by clicking on them.

Guess I never noticed because I usually use markpoints to drop 103/105's over an area and they are always singles on an individual point.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip