Dedicated home server not visible outside

BaD CrC

Is it just the one mission or a whole bunch of them?

I'm curious about whether or not this is a couple problems compounding your problem solving efforts. I know the symptoms you've described resemble those I encounter when I've posted a mission with broken script or some other mission related problem.

Also have you been able to track packet loss between you and the master server?

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

There are some three or four simple missions we tried. All of them put together by me using the 1.27 mission editor without any scripts. When I mail those missions to my friend, he is able to host them and I then can join as a client without problem.

How can I verify the master server? I would need the IP...

Hi Rongor,

I have a DCS server that is physically a few miles away from my house. I use Ping Plotter to trace the route between my place and my server. I don't know the IP addr of the Master DCS server -- maybe it is in the Net .. log on the server, but I need to wait until after work today to go look for it.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

I already checked the log files but didnt find an IP obviously being the DCS Master Server.

I also am not sure where this would lead us. According to c0ff's posts and my symptoms there is no doubt that my computer successfully connects to the master server.

Also I dont have a remote server. I play as the server. The topic title is misleading, as there is no real dedicated server. I just hijacked the thread because of identical problem appearance.

Edited by Rongor

Yes. Sufficiently for it to get your ip but maybe not to stream the data necessary to hold it. At least that's what I'm seeing.

I thought the tracking was from crews server to the master... Didn't realize it was just to his own. Thanks though crew.

"ENO"

If I couldn't hold the connection, how can I then play at other servers? Also my friend gets those connection interrupted message although being shown in the lobby. When I change the mission file meanwhile, he gets notified. According to c0ff, all this wouldnt be possible if my master server connection would cease.

I suspect connecting clients waiting eternally for data my installation doesn't broadcast. Then the connection interrupted message appears, not because the connection is lost but as a kind of waiting time out, the client interrupts the connection. That is why I get "client left" messages. The client disconnects because nothing useful is received from the server anymore. Because server remains silent and refuses to provide needed data. Until this point, even when I change the mission file, the client in his waiting loop notices that successfully. Something gets quarantined within my server, something the client needs to go ahead with loading, some data the master server also would need to display the server in the list.

Only guessing of course, but that is how it "feels".

Edited by Rongor

Yes, you have some good points I hadn't considered.

You said you reinstalled with the STEAM version. Just for excrement and chortles have you considered dumping that install and trying the DCS / ED version and using your STEAM key?

And just to confirm- you're not running ANY other modification? Just a straight up DCSW install plus whatever you've done in here?

"ENO"

I just came from the original DCS/ED version and did the fresh installation (this time within Steam) to counter this very problem. Yes, you witnessed that around post #31 ;) Going back would mean to repeat this step. The installation is only one week now. The problem remained the same. I got my keys at the ED shop and registered them in steam to get the steam installation there.

No modification.

Maybe I start to sound a bit stubborn, but hosting a Server should work without installing/uninstalling stuff three times in a row.

Edited by Rongor

Ok,,,

This is the Ping Plotter trace route from my house to the 91.66.0.199 address.

attachment.php?attachmentid=94789&stc=1&d=1393289170

In the bottom there are a lot of vertical red lines that show packet loss -- some solid red there. The last node of this trace (91.66.0.199) is bouncing the ping up and down -- much of the time it is higher. Sometimes another blank node shows up just ahead of the last one. Yes looking at it, that 91.66.0.199 node is looking not too stable.

Maybe, you have a crummy modem/router at that IP address. I don't really know. I have called my ISP and asked them to look at the same route as I can see on Ping Plotter. I wonder if your ISP could see anything on the route between your two connection points?

That screenie you showed of your friends connection has a Pause symbol in the top right. Can other Clients connect to the server?

Is Slmod or Serveman installed that is causing a Ban or a Kick based on ping?

If you would like to try connecting to my Hollo Pointe server, we could all get on TS and watch the process together. When someone is connecting to a server their name will show up in the server lobby long before that Client gets through the connection screens. Someone watching the server Pool list can see the ping of the Clients -- is it above 200, 300, 400?

WC

Edited by Wrecking Crew

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

This is the plot from my house to my Hollo Pointe server that is about ten miles away --

attachment.php?attachmentid=94790&stc=1&d=1393290063

WC

In the bottom there are a lot of vertical red lines that show packet loss -- some solid red there. The last node of this trace (91.66.0.199) is bouncing the ping up and down -- much of the time it is higher. Sometimes another blank node shows up just ahead of the last one. Yes looking at it, that 91.66.0.199 node is looking not too stable.

Maybe, you have a crummy modem/router at that IP address. I don't really know. I have called my ISP and asked them to look at the same route as I can see on Ping Plotter. I wonder if your ISP could see anything on the route between your two connection points?

That screenie you showed of your friends connection has a Pause symbol in the top right. Can other Clients connect to the server?

Is Slmod or Serveman installed that is causing a Ban or a Kick based on ping?

If you would like to try connecting to my Hollo Pointe server, we could all get on TS and watch the process together. When someone is connecting to a server their name will show up in the server lobby long before that Client gets through the connection screens. Someone watching the server Pool list can see the ping of the Clients -- is it above 200, 300, 400?

WC

1. I am not sure how to interpret your graph. Casual reaching the 200ms ping range appears to be quite normal to me for that distance from your home in the US to mine here in Germany. I did the opposite route to your first hop. Result is different.Kyog7Xl.png

We can see that two hops, the first one and the one before your first one don't like to get pinged at all. Also sometimes stuff gets lost at some NY node. This is the first node my packets suffer loss at. So I am not sure what I should bother my ISP for exactly at this point.

2. To that weird loading screen, I don't know, only had this one tester so far.

3. Nothing like that is installed. I start DCS World. I switch to Multiplayer. I start the server and wait in the lobby lonely.

4. watching the server list myself doesn't provide any unusual ping values for other servers.

Kyog7Xl

Edited by Rongor

By the way, I run a new IP since a few minutes, testers welcome...

To be honest, I doubt there are any connectivity issues with my internet. Everything else is running fine. Online gaming and also hosting public server in other games is working flawlessly here. DCS is the only thing not working right now regarding server hosting.

Edited by Rongor

Yes, set to pause on start, I did only change those settings c0ff and you told me to.

Interfering ethernet drivers would be "nice". I was already able to host DCS World successfully at this internet connection but assembled a new PC in early January. Drivers are so far updated. DCS is the only one facing a problem here. So this "solution" would appear reasonable since nothing has changed to my internet.

Edited by Rongor

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=109510&highlight=ethernet+issue&page=2

Around post 14 they begin discussing the ethernet "service" I was talking about. I'm pretty sure this was what I was thinking about- it sounds like a stretch but it's worth a look.

"ENO"

Meanwhile another mate who didnt find my server in the list could connect direct by IP. He got stuck in this screen.

KiVGXqp.jpg

When he took this screenshot, I (waiting in the server lobby) got the message that he is taking a screenshot... this is so stupid, the server is laughing at me :(

I don't know what to think of this after all. I do know nothing but this again makes me think something is programmed wrong within the DCS Server build. At least the software is failing in telling us what it is missing.

Now I take a reading of your link. But I do remind right away that my view of server list is completely fine with pings starting in the 40s.

OMG, the

MSI Z87 with Killer e2200 ethernet controller

is exactly my hardware.

Disabled the software via msconfig and now everything appears to be ok. What a mess!:mad::doh::megalol:

I promise to roam the forum eternally to provide this hint to other peeps facing the same problem!

Rep inbound, again!:thumbup:

File closed.

• Like 1